The Future of Fingerprint-Biometric Scanners at the Disney Parks

Do you think Fingerprint-Biometric Scanners will be used?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

grandflofan

Earning My Ears
Does anyone think that Disney will remove the fingerprint-biometric scanners or let guests forgo scanning fingers when Walt Disney World reopens?

It's possible they will reduce/temporarily eliminate the use of fingerprint scans - especially if they're able to quickly install a photo-based option.
- they can take your picture when you purchase/validate your park ticket/annual pass
- then every time you scan your magic-band/ticket the cast member at the booth gets a quick view of your picture and can validate you're the same person

Then yes, they will eliminate them

However I think it may be more likely that they install hand-sanitizer stations before and/or after the fingerprint scanners

No they will have tablets with your picture. They already do this for some folks who have issues with fingerprints and children. That's my guess anyway.

They really should eliminate them. It's all about protecting who uses the tickets, and there are other ways to do that.

We were there the final weekend they were open in March. When we entered EPCOT on Saturday, we were told to skip the finger scan - which made total sense in that environment. Sunday, we entered DHS in the afternoon, scanned our magic bands and tried to walk in, but were stopped because they required a finger scan. So no consistency. And it was a little concerning, even then, that they weren't wiping the scanner after each person, which is something they'll need to do if it continues.

...However I think it may be more likely that they install hand-sanitizer stations before and/or after the fingerprint scanners

This is my expectation. Even before this whole COVID I've already seen mandatory hand sanitizing when using fingerprint scanners at the border (like when I registered for NEXUS). It's also cheap to implement, so I expect this is the approach they'll take.

This is my expectation. Even before this whole COVID I've already seen mandatory hand sanitizing when using fingerprint scanners at the border (like when I registered for NEXUS). It's also cheap to implement, so I expect this is the approach they'll take.
I respect what you're saying, but you're talking 2 different things really. A fingerprint scan to verify your identity for security reasons, versus a finger-tip read to verify to a certain degree that a park ticket belongs to you. I'm pretty sure none of the other Disney parks use it, and I'm pretty sure they could put in a non-contact way of protecting their ticket sales.

My local Six Flags eliminated biometric scans last year. They just took your picture with an iPhone/iPad and when they scanned your pass your picture showed up.

I suspect that Disney could do something similar. It’s just more sanitary that way.

When we went to Disneyland in 2016, they took a picture at the turnstile the first time we used our passes. I can't remember if they had a fingerprint scanner too, but I want to say they didn't.

I respect what you're saying, but you're talking 2 different things really. A fingerprint scan to verify your identity for security reasons, versus a finger-tip read to verify to a certain degree that a park ticket belongs to you. I'm pretty sure none of the other Disney parks use it, and I'm pretty sure they could put in a non-contact way of protecting their ticket sales.

Yes, they probably could, but I doubt that they will, when a few (ok several hundreds) bottles of hand sanitizer works just as well. If you just make sure people sanitize before touching the scanners, they'll consider the scanners safe enough. Individual guests might disagree, but corporately, Disney would consider that a safe enough measure.

My local Six Flags eliminated biometric scans last year. They just took your picture with an iPhone/iPad and when they scanned your pass your picture showed up.

I suspect that Disney could do something similar. It’s just more sanitary that way.

The problem I see with the picture approach is throughput. With the tap and scan approach they have now, a single CM can monitor several tapstyles just by listening for the error beep and a few glances around to make sure the people are tapping. A picture based approach reduces the throughput to a CM per tap style. So, let's say at their busiest a CM monitor's 4 tap styles, that reduces the throughput of getting people into the park to 1/4 the speed of normal. Your local Six Flags probably found they didn't need the throughput to justify maintaining the hardware, and that's why they replaced it. Disney on the other hand, I doubt has that issue. It may be something they do in the short-term, after all, I don't speak for Disney, but I really don't see the scans going away long term, if they go away at all.

It's possible they will reduce/temporarily eliminate the use of fingerprint scans - especially if they're able to quickly install a photo-based option.
- they can take your picture when you purchase/validate your park ticket/annual pass
- then every time you scan your magic-band/ticket the cast member at the booth gets a quick view of your picture and can validate you're the same person

Then yes, they will eliminate them

However I think it may be more likely that they install hand-sanitizer stations before and/or after the fingerprint scanners
Universal implemented this pre closure
They had hand sanitizer before the scan and after

They really should eliminate them. It's all about protecting who uses the tickets, and there are other ways to do that.

We were there the final weekend they were open in March. When we entered EPCOT on Saturday, we were told to skip the finger scan - which made total sense in that environment. Sunday, we entered DHS in the afternoon, scanned our magic bands and tried to walk in, but were stopped because they required a finger scan. So no consistency. And it was a little concerning, even then, that they weren't wiping the scanner after each person, which is something they'll need to do if it continues.

What difference does it make if they wipe the scanners - unless they are wiping down everything else in the parks.

Doesn't make a difference unless they are sanitizing the entire park, constantly.

Six Flags doesn't compare well to WDW - they are much smaller, for instance. Can you imagine how long it would take if they had to check a photo of each person, nevermind having to get one taken.

For me, if I feel safe enough to go to Disney, I feel safe enough to use the scanner. People are going to be touching everything, everywhere. A dollop of sanitizer after and the option to decline and use another method for others would be great.

If it is safe enough for those cast members to be in those parks day in and day out catering to people, being close, touching things, etc., it should absolutely be safe enough for me to use the scanner if it's the preferred method. If I'm so convinced I'm going to get myself sick touching something in a park, why am I putting all of those other people and employees at risk just to have a vacation? How selfish is that?

I'm sorry if this is overly snarky, I don't mean it that way. I think being cooped up is getting to me finally. I just feel if someone is still feeling that scared when we can go, why go? Wait it out. Go when it's good for YOU to go. The extra stress isn't worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter