The good the bad the ugly of OKW renovations (update pg 13)

I don't think these are the same as the ones at Kidani, but I can't remember for sure.
No, they aren't the same units. It is 82 outside right now, and I'm sitting in the living room with the thermostat set at 68 and the heat just came on. Within a minute the entire 2 BR villa is sweltering. It really is unacceptable. They need to change these so you can hard set heat or cool. Summer is going to be unreal for folks staying here.

Diana - last night I set the temp to 68, put the fan in the master so it was blowing up and turned it on low. It helped a tiny little bit, but when the AC came on it ended up freezing in the room. If I turned the temp up, even to 69, the heat came on.

no, they aren't the same units. It is 82 outside right now, and i'm sitting in the living room with the thermostat set at 68 and the heat just came on. Within a minute the entire 2 br villa is sweltering. It really is unacceptable. They need to change these so you can hard set heat or cool. Summer is going to be unreal for folks staying here.

Diana - last night i set the temp to 68, put the fan in the master so it was blowing up and turned it on low. It helped a tiny little bit, but when the ac came on it ended up freezing in the room. If i turned the temp up, even to 69, the heat came on.

argh!

There are very few issues that I am passionate about but this is one of them. I travel alot for a living, and I am finding these "green" thermostats appearing everywhere. The motion detector is my biggest complaint. The last time we stayed at AKL, we had to keep getting up to trigger the darn thing.

I have a problem when "Green" is more important than guest comfort. (Remeber "Poolgate"?)

I understand the main goal is to prevent guests from running the A/C all day long when they are in the room.

In Europe they solve this problem by requiring the guest to insert their room key to activate the A/C.

I think this solution works much better than motion detectors since PEOPLE DON"T MOVE WHEN THEY ARE SLEEPING!

Unless they have to get up to make the A/C turn on.:)

OK, Rant over.

There are very few issues that I am passionate about but this is one of them. I travel alot for a living, and I am finding these "green" thermostats appearing everywhere. The motion detector is my biggest complaint. The last time we stayed at AKL, we had to keep getting up to trigger the darn thing.

I have a problem when "Green" is more important than guest comfort. (Remeber "Poolgate"?)

I understand the main goal is to prevent guests from running the A/C all day long when they are in the room.

In Europe they solve this problem by requiring the guest to insert their room key to activate the A/C.

I think this solution works much better than motion detectors since PEOPLE DON"T MOVE WHEN THEY ARE SLEEPING!

OK, Rant over.

Exactly, and I fail to see what is "green" about having the heat come on when it's 80 degrees outside!

Exactly, and I fail to see what is "green" about having the heat come on when it's 80 degrees outside!

Or when it's in the 50's outside and the air conditioning comes on! This happened to us a couple nights in November. Something is most definitely screwed up in those thermostats.

I have sent a very detailed email to the member satisfaction team about the problems with the climate control since the refurb.
Without going into the details the problems are an easy fix if they insist on the auto changeover, first move the stat back to the original location near the air return, second and probably the most important the setup programming is wrong, the dead band temp should be 5 degrees not 1.
And before anyone asks me to post how to do it, the stats have 40+ options that need to be programmed properly or it could be an even bigger mess if not done correctly.

I have sent a very detailed email to the member satisfaction team about the problems with the climate control since the refurb.
Without going into the details the problems are an easy fix if they insist on the auto changeover, first move the stat back to the original location near the air return, second and probably the most important the setup programming is wrong, the dead band temp should be 5 degrees not 1.
And before anyone asks me to post how to do it, the stats have 40+ options that need to be programmed properly or it could be an even bigger mess if not done correctly.
You (of course) are absolutely correct. It appears the RCU is locked away, probably with the unit itself so not available even with the instructions. The RCU and thermostat require a PC to program them properly too.

The HVAC work is being done by an outside contractor. They are working on building 53 this week and there are three HVAC vans parked outside.

Today is supposed to be 85. It is going to be fun.

OK, Rant over.

This is one of the best rants I've read. :thumbsup2

Diane: Buildings 45 & 46 are closed off and they are painting the exterior. That's where I saw the HVAC vans parked this morning too. I thought you'd want to know your beloved building(s) are getting a new paint job.

Bright purple and bright green. Looks really cool. (OK, just kidding, they're painting them the same color they were).

Diane: Buildings 45 & 46 are closed off and they are painting the exterior. That's where I saw the HVAC vans parked this morning too. I thought you'd want to know your beloved building(s) are getting a new paint job.

Bright purple and bright green. Looks really cool. (OK, just kidding, they're painting them the same color they were).

It's odd that they are painting again so soon. The exterior of those buildings was completely redone about 2 years ago. I guess things fade fast in the Florida sun and humidity.

BTW.......we're heading to OKW tomorrow, so I'll make it a point to check out the thermostat situation.

Thanks for doing this. Please let us know what their response is.

Currently here at OKW...a 1BR in building 38. I don't particularly like the location of the building. It's the farthest building in the Turtle Pond area. I usually leave my room location "up to fate", because I like trying different areas, but it didn't work for me this time around. :guilty:

Right now I'm listening to the lovely sound of all the traffic go by on the highway behind us. :guilty:

The thermostat........both at Vero & now at OKW I held in the C/F button on the left side of the unit. I held it in until a bp appeared on the display. It seems to work fine now when we turn the temp up or down. We have been going between 72 & 73 degrees & it seems fine so far. Not sure if this is an override function or what, but it's working for us so far.

I'll let everyone know if it continues to work OK>

Currently here at OKW...a 1BR in building 38. I don't particularly like the location of the building. It's the farthest building in the Turtle Pond area. I usually leave my room location "up to fate", because I like trying different areas, but it didn't work for me this time around. :guilty:

Right now I'm listening to the lovely sound of all the traffic go by on the highway behind us. :guilty:

The thermostat........both at Vero & now at OKW I held in the C/F button on the left side of the unit. I held it in until a bp appeared on the display. It seems to work fine now when we turn the temp up or down. We have been going between 72 & 73 degrees & it seems fine so far. Not sure if this is an override function or what, but it's working for us so far.

Aha, I see you got the dreaded Turtle Pond area that we don't like either. I usually "leave it to chance" too, but I must say, I really dislike every room we have gotten in the Turtle Pond section.

Interesting that you seem to have found an override for the dreaded new thermostat.

Yes, pressing the C/F button disables the motion sensors so when you leave your villa the system continues to operate the way you set it. BUT, it does not disable the automatic switchover between heat and cool. We're still having issues with that. This trick seems to work on most if not all of the DDC Sensorstat thermostats. I know it worked at the Tree House Villas too.

Sure hope you have better luck than we have had this week.

Aha, I see you got the dreaded Turtle Pond area that we don't like either. I usually "leave it to chance" too, but I must say, I really dislike every room we have gotten in the Turtle Pond section.

Interesting that you seem to have found an override for the dreaded new thermostat.
LOL..........I actually like the Turtle Pond area. I like the quiet pool here because you can still get a snack if you want, however, I'm not crazy about this building.

It's way off in the back & I'm not a fan of being able to hear the traffic go by. Our view is of a ton of trees.

Oh well, I know not to "accept" this building any more if we get put here again!

Yes, pressing the C/F button disables the motion sensors so when you leave your villa the system continues to operate the way you set it. BUT, it does not disable the automatic switchover between heat and cool. We're still having issues with that. This trick seems to work on most if not all of the DDC Sensorstat thermostats. I know it worked at the Tree House Villas too.

Sure hope you have better luck than we have had this week.
We haven't had a problem with heat & air. I have it set at 72 & it's pretty much staying a constant temp.

I'll update if it starts to act up at all.

I really expected to be neutral on the OKW renovations, but I'm just back from a recent stay and I certainly am NOT neutral, I think it's renovation done on the cheap and much of it is unpleasant to my eyes. And, IMO, some of the stuff that really needed doing, has not been done.

In particular the living room flooring may be practical (although noisy) but aesthetically it does nothing for me. I dislike the dark headboard in the master suite and the new comforter was so stiff it was like trying to cover yourself with cardboard! We were in one of my favourite buildings (55) the day it was released after renovation, so maybe the comforters will improve with washing. After the first night we folded it up, put it away and used the extra blankets and another sheet for the top cover from the pack intended for the sofa bed.

The armchair which converts to a bed is a real eyesore and what they've done to the table top also leaves me cold. We drove past building 56 as they were emptying that ready for renovation and I could have wept when I saw a line of the old armchairs and footstools waiting to be taken away.

Moans now done with - although I am going to send my views to Member Satisfaction - apart from when I thought about what they had done to 'my' lovely OKW, we had a great time with good weather and met some really nice people (Hi to Melsmice if you are reading this, so good to meet you at Vero then at OKW :))

I haven't stayed at OKW yet but I read on the resort boards that some people buy a helium balloon the first day of their visit and leave it in the room near the A/C. The balloon moves and sets off the motion detector so the A/C stays on.

HTH!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter