The Gulf State Park DISMeet 2017 Thread (aka "The Sequel")

As far as arrests go. Gulf Shores is out of my jurisdiction but I can always bring the hand cuffs and Taser if Michael really wants to have fun. Friendofeeyore and Grumpyaggie if something happens and I have to cancel I will work something out with one of you. Even if I had to check in and let you reimburse me. I had booked two weeks last year before getting divorced. The first week was for this Dismeet and the second was for the wife and step daughter to have a week camping after school got out. My daughter is an indoor kid so she doesn't care about camping. Which means I really don't need two weeks there. Especially if I'm commuting 50 miles each way to work.

That's a cool offer for our Aggie fans there Joe. Good man.

If anyone is interested again this year, the Blue Angels practice schedule has them practicing in Pensacola on May 30th and 31st. This is of course pending weather. Randy and I had already talked about going back as we didn't get to see all of the aviation museum and didn't get to tour the lighthouse and would like to try again.
We plan on going again this year. Of course we are bringing our passports this year so they will actually let us in.

For those planning on coming, a photo ID is required for entry. The rub is that the ID has to be issued from a state that complies with the RealID standard. There are 4 states that do not (or at least did not last year) Missouri and Illinois are 2 of the states. Last year, everyone in my group was from MO and IL and none of us had any other photo ID so we were turned away at the gate.

j

Oh yeah...Another near federal law broken there.

Man, we really racked up there didn't we?

We plan on going again this year. Of course we are bringing our passports this year so they will actually let us in.

For those planning on coming, a photo ID is required for entry. The rub is that the ID has to be issued from a state that complies with the RealID standard. There are 4 states that do not (or at least did not last year) Missouri and Illinois are 2 of the states. Last year, everyone in my group was from MO and IL and none of us had any other photo ID so we were turned away at the gate.

j

PA is another state that does not meet the RealID standard. :confused3

The state stance is why should the state have to spend state money to comply with a federal regulation. So it is what it is.
Ah. The good old unfunded mandate... Illinois has a much different attitude. We hired, um... elected a business man to be governor with no political experience. He tried to run the state like his dairy empire and all the politicians have cried foul. As a result, we are going on our 3rd year without a state budget. No budget = no new IDs.

Although they did manage to find money to redesign the license plates.

j

I tried to get in to Gulf State the other day for Memorial Day weekend, not knowing about this fun looking event, and had no luck. So we are staying at Big Lagoon State Park, across the state line, from 6/4/ to 6/10 probably. Kind of bummed knowing it was close but no cigar for putting some faces to names.

Big Lagoon is a nice park. Close to a lot of areas from Gulf Shores to Pensacola and beyond.

@pluto67

Ken, you're from PA?

Why was I thinking New York? I could have sworn that's where you said you were from.

Last edited:
Big Lagoon is a nice park. Close to a lot of areas from Gulf Shores to Pensacola and beyond.
Yeah. I'm looking forward to it. Generally I prefer FL State Parks to AL State Parks. They just seem better maintained as I've lived and camped extensively in both states. But I've never been to GS or BL so we'll see how the family likes it.

Getting ready for the big snowmageddon storm gonna happen this week ??
Enjoy.

We were supposed to get 1-3 here yesterday while I was up in Iowa. I made it back home about 7 last night and there were no signs of anything. Apparently just another opportunity for the weather people to say SNOW!!

j

We are ready, Truck is happy, plow is on, let it snow. 12 to 18 predicted here so far. Typical Nor Easter.

And that is why I love living on the Gulf Coast. I love seeing snow but anything over 4 inches on the ground is just punishment. I have a funny story about drifting a fire truck during our last ice storm.

Here are a couple of pictures to prove once every 10 to 20 years we get snow and ice. After going over this iced over bridge a couple of times we were returning from a call and found kids sliding down the bridge in a car carrier.

Attachments

• Ice1.jpg
    Ice1.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Ice2.jpg
    Ice2.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 10

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter