The importance of Travel Insurance, Passenger stuck in Aruba

We travel so much I've stopped purchasing insurance that involves cancellation. At our age, full coverage has become very expensive and at the number of times we would need to purchase would outweigh missing one trip. But I always purchase a travel policy a couple of weeks before we leave to cover unexpected illness/accident. They are very affordable.

Remember, with many Travel Insurance companies, you have to pay the bills yourself first and then submit a claim when you get home. So yes, you will get your money back in most cases, but you have to have the cash or available credit to cover the bill yourself up front.

What is the price for insurance through DCL now? Trying to do a comparison.

Never-mind….I found the info.

Last edited:
There is a story here in Colorado today of a local 8-year-old boy who was terribly injured during an excursion in Belize. Also no travel insurance, and they’re looking at a $50,000 bill to get him home.

We travel so much I've stopped purchasing insurance that involves cancellation. At our age, full coverage has become very expensive and at the number of times we would need to purchase would outweigh missing one trip. But I always purchase a travel policy a couple of weeks before we leave to cover unexpected illness/accident. They are very affordable.
Buy the annual plan, they are not that expensive. Maybe look into Allianz Global's annual plans.

Remember, with many Travel Insurance companies, you have to pay the bills yourself first and then submit a claim when you get home. So yes, you will get your money back in most cases, but you have to have the cash or available credit to cover the bill yourself up front.
It depends on the company and what the actual expense is. Allianz Global has you pay for minor things, like an office visit, but the big stuff they just take care of without you having to pay first. It is important to shop around and really understand what you are buying.

There is a story here in Colorado today of a local 8-year-old boy who was terribly injured during an excursion in Belize. Also no travel insurance, and they’re looking at a $50,000 bill to get him home.
I don't understand how people can leave the Country without travel insurance. Nobody is immune to accidents and illness. Do people not realize that your health insurance does not work in other Countries?

Do people not realize that your health insurance does not work in other Countries?
My health insurance plan reimburses for emergency and urgent care while abroad (and, unfortunately, I've had the opportunity to test that it actually works). Every plan I've ever had does, but using normal health insurance does usually require paying at least some of it out of pocket and then later requesting reimbursement, which can be a pretty big burden. Also, I understand that most medicare/medicaid plans do not cover while abroad.

Having said that, what it does not cover is some of the biggest ticket items like evacuation or even just routine transport if you need to be relocated and can't take a commercial flight. For that reason I carry an annual plan that just covers emergency medical, evac, and repatriation. It runs a few hundred dollars a year, and for the number of trips I take it's well worth it.

Last edited:
My health insurance plan reimburses for emergency and urgent care while abroad (and, unfortunately, I've had the opportunity to test that it actually works). Every plan I've ever had does, but using normal health insurance does usually require paying at least some of it out of pocket and then later requesting reimbursement, which can be a pretty big burden. Also, I understand that most medicare/medicaid plans do not.

Having said that, what it does not cover is some of the biggest ticket items like evacuation or even just routine transport if you need to be relocated and can't take a commercial flight. For that reason I carry an annual plan that just covers emergency medical, evac, and repatriation. It runs a few hundred dollars a year, and for the number of trips I take it's well worth it.
And the evac is where the big expense is. That can bankrupt a family. Our insurance is a joke and we have a $2500 deductible to meet before it even kicks in. Trip insurance is under $150. That is a no brainer for me.

Just to update: the Colorado boy has already arrived at Children’s Hospital here. A GoFundMe established by the family exceeded their goal, but actually that became irrelevant when the owner of a medical transport company sent a plane with no cost to the family.

https://www.denver7.com/news/local-...-colorado-thanks-to-a-generous-denver7-viewer

If you're looking for an annual plan, the Chase Sapphire Reserve card includes most benefits you would need when combined with US medical insurance. As always, check to see exactly what is covered and what's not.

My health insurance plan reimburses for emergency and urgent care while abroad (and, unfortunately, I've had the opportunity to test that it actually works). Every plan I've ever had does, but using normal health insurance does usually require paying at least some of it out of pocket and then later requesting reimbursement, which can be a pretty big burden. Also, I understand that most medicare/medicaid plans do not cover while abroad.
We have United Healthcare HSA plan and it did not cover either medical visit or prescriptions when DH received medical care in London. And it was a hell of a thing getting them to deny it to so that our trip insurance would cover it. I sent United everything we paid for but they wouldn't even deny coverage because it didn't have the proper codes. I explained that they don't use codes over there. (Major facepalm moment.) They said that they couldn't reject it without it being coded. We went in circles like that for awhile. Finally I got them to deny it without codes and then submitted to our trip insurance. But it was a mess.

We have United Healthcare HSA plan and it did not cover either medical visit or prescriptions when DH received medical care in London. And it was a hell of a thing getting them to deny it to so that our trip insurance would cover it. I sent United everything we paid for but they wouldn't even deny coverage because it didn't have the proper codes. I explained that they don't use codes over there. (Major facepalm moment.) They said that they couldn't reject it without it being coded. We went in circles like that for awhile. Finally I got them to deny it without codes and then submitted to our trip insurance. But it was a mess.
That is who we have and they are garbage. We pay almost $600/month and they only cover one well visit a year. After that, we have to pay 100% up until our $2500 deductible before they even kick in. This is what is offered from my husband's job at a fortune 500 company. It is basically catastrophic insurance at normal insurance rates.

That is who we have and they are garbage. We pay almost $600/month and they only cover one well visit a year. After that, we have to pay 100% up until our $2500 deductible before they even kick in. This is what is offered from my husband's job at a fortune 500 company. It is basically catastrophic insurance at normal insurance rates.
Yup. I've met my deductible and I just found out I need to have a biopsy and I'm trying to get in before the end of the year so I won't have to pay a gazillion dollars next year. It's a hot mess.

If you're looking for an annual plan, the Chase Sapphire Reserve card includes most benefits you would need when combined with US medical insurance. As always, check to see exactly what is covered and what's not.
I'd bet that most US health insurance plans don't cover anything at all overseas. Mine certainly doesn't and I have very good health insurance otherwise.

I think everyone should check with their health insurance and credit card companies before purchasing insurance. I have blue cross. They told me that they cover everything overseas just like I was home. There would be the copay but they even cover medical transport. My dad has a different insurance and they said that he is also covered. I have travel insurance through the card I paid for the cruise with. It's not a lot of coverage but it's a short cruise so it's enough. Last time I paid for insurance without thinking about it because I was too worried not to have it. It pays to make a few calls first.

If that ever
From FOX 35 Orlando:

Florida father stuck in Aruba after falling ill during cruise, family hit with $35,000 fee to get him back

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/f...ise-family-hit-with-35000-fee-to-get-him-back

Wait, did they just leave him there in Aruba?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter