The Magic Is Real!

WebmasterJackie

Senior Editor for The DIS & DCL Fan
Staff member
Administrator
Last night, I was scrolling down my Facebook timeline and our very own @imjenilynn shared a story from her day at Animal Kingdom that had me all teary-eyed. I just have to share this with you all (with her permission, of course) and hope that you'll remember to pay the magic forward on your next Disney vacation!

"As I boarded the ride, 'Dinosaur,' today, there was a mom buckling her 6yo son into the seat. The little boy looked nervous. 'This is going to be a bit intense. Are you ready for this,' she questioned. He responded, 'Yes. I think so.' I spoke up from behind. 'It will be a little bumpy, but we are going to have so much fun. We are going to see dinosaurs!'

The little boy swung his head around to see my enthusiastic expression and grinned wildly. 'I know! We have to catch an iguanodon. Do you think we can find him,' he asked. I replied, 'I'm sure of it. You've got this!' And with that our vehicle took off.

At the end of the ride, the little passenger looked a bit shaken and unsure of what he had just experienced. As his mom checked to make sure he was ok, I opened the pocket in front of me to collect my belongings. To my surprise, along with my phone and sunglasses, there was a large leaf that someone else had left behind. A thought popped inside my head.

The little boy glanced my way as his mom unbuckled his belt. 'You did it,' I exclaimed. 'You made it through the whole ride! We got the iguanodon, and do you know what else we got?' He looked at me quizzically, and I explained, 'We got this leaf from the Cretaceous Period! You can keep it to remember the time you caught a dinosaur.' He took the leaf in hand, wide-eyed and mouth agape. 'Mom,' he exclaimed, 'We got this leaf from where the dinosaurs lived!' Mom laughed a little, and I walked away with a broad smile. As I exited, I remembered these types of moments with my own kids when they were little. This is the reason I returned with them to Disney again and again. The magic is real.
"

After you've wiped your eyes, please come back and share your "Magic Is Real" stories with us!

You got me. Im crying. That is too sweet. I can't wait to experience that magic of Disney with my child one day especially if there are people out there like you who are willing to add to the magic.

We were at WDW in Dec 2014, of course, Elsa is all the rage. Everytime I see a young princess dressed as Elsa, I have to go up to them, (after I've ok'd it with the parent of course, I don't want them thinking some old guy is trying to hit up their children,) and I will ask, "Didn't I see you turning Cinderella castle to Ice at WDW?" They give me that, "No, I didn't do that" and I will tell them, "No I'm pretty sure it was you that I saw turning the Castle to Ice," Most of the time I get a great smile from the kids and that makes my day!

I love these kinds of stories. On our first trip we showed up at Philharmagic just as the previous show had begun, and so had the length of the show to wait. DD and DS were 5 and 2 at the time. It was late in the day, and my kids were starting to fade. While we were waiting, another family with two little girls came in. The kids looked to be a few years older than mine. DD was in a princess gown and the older of the two little girls came over and exclaimed to her sister something like "Oh look, a real princess! She's so beautiful in her dress!" She then turned to DS and said "and you must be her prince!" The girls then said they would be honored to get to dance with a real prince and princess and spent the duration of the wait time laughing and dancing with my kiddos. It was adorable and my kids were so thrilled with the experience. I couldn't believe that these other children had taken it upon themselves to bolster the spirits of kids who were obviously not enjoying the wait and created a magic moment for them.

I only cry once a trip. The morning we leave...

Not me. I cry when I see the WDW gate on the highway, cry at the start of the morning shows, cry when I see Mickey and friends show up, cry during the fireworks, and basically cry any time something big starts to happen.

That said, I've also cried at the start of Minnesota Vikings home games and Iron Maiden concerts, so this may just be me.

Not me. I cry when I see the WDW gate on the highway, cry at the start of the morning shows, cry when I see Mickey and friends show up, cry during the fireworks, and basically cry any time something big starts to happen.

That said, I've also cried at the start of Minnesota Vikings home games and Iron Maiden concerts, so this may just be me.

Me, too! (Minus the Vikings and Iron Maiden things, but my husband has probably teared up at an Iron Maiden show). I got all teary eyed listening to a podcast about the opening show at MK because I'm just so excited to be going back in a few months!

We took DS who was almost 3 for the first time last summer. He was so excited! We had watched the vacation planning dvd so many times I lost count. Plus Youtube videos galore! When we arrived on property after 2 long and full days in the car, he was so excited, but a little confused because we were not at one of the parks he had seen on the videos. We went to the Poly for dinner at Ohana. We were trying to convince him that we were indeed at Disney World and he was not arguing, but looked skeptical. As we waited for our table at Ohana, DS went to one of the windows and looked out. He immediately spotted the castle off in the distance. He came running over to me yelling about the castle and had to show everyone in our party that the castle was right there! The look in his eyes and the excitement in his voice was the real magic for me.

My wife and I traveled to WDW in 2009 with my son and his family of three grandchildren ages 11 months, 3 and 4. The three year old, Alyssa, was just getting into princesses and she just loved Cinderella. Our first day in the Magic Kingdom we were street side watching the parade. I had Alyssa on my shoulders so she could see better when all of a sudden the float with the princesses came into view. I felt my granddaughter grab two handfuls of hair and shriek out in a loud voice, "Oh Grandpa, it's the princesses". She started to cry she was so happy and excited. I too started to cry. What a special moment for her and I. My wife standing next to us was also crying. This is a moment that can't be faked. People always ask me why I return to WDW every year and I tell them this story. The Magic is there and you don't really have to look that hard for it. I forgot to mention, 21 more days and the Magic resumes.

I've told our story before so my apologies to those of you who have read it...
My story is at the other end of life's spectrum and about my now deceased mother.
As a child I was a TV Mouse Club fanatic, even known to sleep in my ears, but we lived in the Midwest and, as much as I begged to visit Disneyland when it opened, traveling to CA was not something our family could afford in those days.
When WDW opened in 1971, my folks had retired to FL and I determined that I would take them on my dream to see the new park. I saved for nearly two years. When the the time came and I traveled to FL to pick them up my mother began to invent excuses to stay home...a familiar pattern and one that contributed to our strained relationship. This time, though, dad stepped in and announced that we ALL were going to Disney World! Begrudgingly, mom got in the car. The ride to Orlando was less than pleasant and by the time we were walking down Main Street I was beginning to regret coming.
Then we walked through the Castle. As we reached the other side, Mom saw the carousel. She grabbed my arm and literally shouted, "Can I ride it"? Dad and I glanced at each other, grabbed her little 4'10" body and nearly air walked her to the ride. As we boarded both dad and I thought she would be content to sit on a bench but evidently the woman dropped about twenty years since she spotted the carousel and insisted we "boost her onto this horse"! We did. Dad and climbed onto horses next to her and for the next two minutes I'm certain he and I sat with our mouths agape, watching mom have the time of her life! Who knew she loved carousels???
Dad and I both had tears running down our faces as we helped mom off the horse. She loved the rest of the trip...we all had a magical time and, as silly as it sounds, mom and I became closer following this.
Mom and dad have been gone for a while now and I have trouble hoisting myself onto that horse now, too. But every time I walk down Main Street and through the Castle I can feel them with me again. It's the same magic that touches us all...with no regard for age!

We took our kids to WDW in 2007. They had been before, a few years earlier, but were young enough that they didn't really remember it. The 2007 trip, when they were 4 and 6, is the first WDW trip they remember.

We had lunch at CRT, and met the Princesses. My daughter has never been a girly-girl, so she was fine with meeting them, but having a sword (she got a sword instead of a wand) and eating in the castle were far more exciting for her. But my 4 year old son was enchanted by the Princesses. At the time, Aladdin was one of his favorite movies, so when Jasmine came over, he was very excited. I guess she liked him too, because she gave him a big kiss on the cheek! She was wearing bright red lipstick, so my son had a big kiss mark on his cheek. He was pretty much floating afterward, and so happy that Jasmine kissed him, and even more excited when he realized that the mark was there! He refused to let us wash his face and insisted on having Jasmine's kiss on his cheek for the rest of the day! Whenever anyone asked about it (and a lot of people did) he would proudly tell them that Jasmine kissed him. Thinking about that day always makes me smile.

And then the following summer, we were at DL having lunch at Ariel's Grotto, and somehow my son, who was now 5, charmed Belle into dancing with him. We have the cutest video of the two of them dancing formally together. But in my son's mind, it wasn't quite as good as the kiss from Jasmine... ;)

Aww, these stories are the greatest! I'm loving it! Keep 'em coming!! :goodvibes

I love that my kids are now at an age where they really get a big kick out of watching the little ones soaking it all in. My hubby and I love to watch their faces - seeing them smiling and enjoying the little kiddos - so cute!!

Mine was on the Disney Cruise. My niece was 6 at the time (16 now!) and took a little too long getting into her Cinderella dress and missed the meet and greet. She was crying on the way back to the stateroom....and Cinderella was headed towards us. She stopped and asked why my niece was crying, dried her tears and we got the sweetest pictures in the middle of the hallway.

When my niece went back on the cruise with us last year, she made sure to stop at the Cinderella meet and greet and got a new picture taken that she bought herself and gave to my mom, her grandmother. My mom always tells the original story when she talks about how amazing Disney cruises are! She, of course, cried.

After our first trip when our girls were 5 and 4, I was looking through pictures. One of them was of my daughter, Elaina, with the Tinkerbell magic shot pose. I showed it to her and she exclaimed, "MOMMY! Tinkerbell landed in my hand and I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IT!" She so fully believed that she was really holding Tinkerbell - pure magic!!

We took our kids to WDW in 2007. They had been before, a few years earlier, but were young enough that they didn't really remember it. The 2007 trip, when they were 4 and 6, is the first WDW trip they remember.

We had lunch at CRT, and met the Princesses. My daughter has never been a girly-girl, so she was fine with meeting them, but having a sword (she got a sword instead of a wand) and eating in the castle were far more exciting for her. But my 4 year old son was enchanted by the Princesses. At the time, Aladdin was one of his favorite movies, so when Jasmine came over, he was very excited. I guess she liked him too, because she gave him a big kiss on the cheek! She was wearing bright red lipstick, so my son had a big kiss mark on his cheek. He was pretty much floating afterward, and so happy that Jasmine kissed him, and even more excited when he realized that the mark was there! He refused to let us wash his face and insisted on having Jasmine's kiss on his cheek for the rest of the day! Whenever anyone asked about it (and a lot of people did) he would proudly tell them that Jasmine kissed him. Thinking about that day always makes me smile.

And then the following summer, we were at DL having lunch at Ariel's Grotto, and somehow my son, who was now 5, charmed Belle into dancing with him. We have the cutest video of the two of them dancing formally together. But in my son's mind, it wasn't quite as good as the kiss from Jasmine... ;)

I think we have similar sons! Mine also got a kiss from Jasmine that he didn't want to wipe off. He got it by whispering to her "you're my favorite" - little did she know she was his 3rd "favorite" that day. ;) Of course, the kiss eventually came off and I forgot about it. On our trip last year (2 years later), he got a kiss from Snow White. He immediately turned around and yelled at me "you're not wiping it off this time!!!!"

In 2013 I went down for just a quick 2 day trip with my daughter to celebrate her 19th birthday. When we checked in to POFQ she was given the birthday pin with her name on it. The second day of our trip found us in Tomorrowland going on Buzz Lightyear. When we got off the ride we ran over to look at our pictures and laugh at ourselves. One of the cast members got talking to us and wished my daughter Happy Birthday. We decided to run around and ride again due to the line being short. When we got off we again went to look at our pictures and the same cast member called us over to the side and presented my daughter with a new birthday pin. The one my daughter had been wearing had gotten a little rubbed off and was just written in block letters. This new pin was done in wonderful script with starbursts and swirls all around her name. She had also covered the writing with tape and told us that was so it wouldn't rub off. This was such a surprise and a thrill for my daughter. This cast member told us that she used to work at the "former" Downtown Disney/Disney Springs Christmas shop doing the writing on the ornaments. This is the special "Magical" type of treatment that you won't get anywhere else. My daughter still has that pin hanging up in her room and smiles when she looks at it. I just love Disney.

from one Minnesotan to another, I usually cry at the End of the Vikings games:)

I think we have similar sons! Mine also got a kiss from Jasmine that he didn't want to wipe off. He got it by whispering to her "you're my favorite" - little did she know she was his 3rd "favorite" that day. ;) Of course, the kiss eventually came off and I forgot about it. On our trip last year (2 years later), he got a kiss from Snow White. He immediately turned around and yelled at me "you're not wiping it off this time!!!!"

LOL, glad to know my son isn't the only 'womanizer'! I left the mark on, because I thought it was cute too. Of course, being 4, he wiped it off by the end of the day just by rubbing his hand on his face, so it wasn't too difficult to remove before bedtime.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter