The Marvels

I have never used the word "hate" on these boards. Just because somebody has a different view on something, or someone, doesn't mean they hate it, despite what you, and probably 95% of the people on here apparently believe. My last comment on this topic, as apparently people like to exist in a vacuum, if Disney continues to put out movies that appeal to a very "narrow niche", they will continue to lose money, and the stock price will consequently continue to suffer.

What narrow niche? You had to dig so hard to try and make a point you pulled out “a wrinkle in time”

And nobody is reporting you. I’m new here but is your whole schtick on the boards to play a victim?

Last edited:
What narrow niche? You had to dig so hard to try and make a point you pulled out “a wrinkle in time”

And nobody is reporting you. I’m new here but is your whole schtick on the boards to play a victim?
If you don’t think people that don’t follow the hive mind thinking do not get targeted around here, I have some ocean front property in Arizona to sell you.

Yes he likely was reported and likely called derogatory names, just like I have been. Amazing that the bad actors on the hive mind side of the discussion never seem to get reprimanded or banned.

I have never used the word "hate" on these boards. Just because somebody has a different view on something, or someone, doesn't mean they hate it, despite what you, and probably 95% of the people on here apparently believe. My last comment on this topic, as apparently people like to exist in a vacuum, if Disney continues to put out movies that appeal to a very "narrow niche", they will continue to lose money, and the stock price will consequently continue to suffer.
Disney does more than make movies.

It’s almost like it was the first one released during a strike
Disney shouldn't use the strike and inability to market the movie as an excuse. Five Nights at Freddy's was released during the strike. It cost $25.1 million to make and has made $132 million globally opening weekend. Disney could learn from Blum's strategy of keeping the budget low.

Lowest opening weekend of any MCU movie ever. What happened to the billion dollar draw of Captain Marvel?

It's pretty shocking. Even with things taking a downturn in general at the box office, the origianl was extremely populare and generally well received. I do not believe the strike could have hurt it that much. Even if post-Endgame Marvel is lower, it really is surprising. It's too bad too becuase it is generally better than the first one and the best Marvel film in a while too.

My wife and I saw the movie yesterday, and really liked it. We had a very enjoyable time at the movies. The audience was mostly older adults, who, like me, were wearing their Marvel T-shirts and hats. Everyone in our row really seemed to love the movie, just as much as we did. As I said, on another thread, it was the most “Just right” Marvel movie since “Thor: Ragnorok”.

The filmmakers took everything we liked from the “Captain Marvel“ movie like the characters, their relationships as well as Nick Fury and the flerkins and then combined it with all the things that were great about the Ms. Marvel show, like Kamala herself as well as the interplay and love shown with her family.

Last edited:
It's pretty shocking. Even with things taking a downturn in general at the box office, the origianl was extremely populare and generally well received. I do not believe the strike could have hurt it that much. Even if post-Endgame Marvel is lower, it really is surprising. It's too bad too becuase it is generally better than the first one and the best Marvel film in a while too.

Agreed $47 Million domestically is a shock. They need the South Asian market and China to show up for this for any hope to be profitable. I suspect it needs $650-700 Million in box office to break even. Marvel is broken right now it seems. They better get Cap, Black Widow, Hulk, Hawkeye, Iron Man, and Spidey pulled back in ASAP!

Agreed $47 Million domestically is a shock. They need the South Asian market and China to show up for this for any hope to be profitable. I suspect it needs $650-700 Million in box office to break even. Marvel is broken right now it seems. They better get Cap, Black Widow, Hulk, Hawkeye, Iron Man, and Spidey pulled back in ASAP!

But the actors are aging. Do you want reboots? I don’t mind new content. I don’t know about going to the theater for this or any other movie, really, but I would watch it. Seems entertaining enough.

Deadline had a pretty good breakdown of the possible issues:

https://deadline.com/2023/11/box-office-the-marvels-1235599363/

There are a lot of factors involved here. There are also many reasons that some are going to shout about that are not involved at all. I am sticking with this thread.

Personally, I think the biggest issue is the lack of a unified story where each movie is building upon the previous. If you look at the post Endgame movies, there is no "infinity stone" to follow, even in the tangentially related films. I know they are setting up Kang, but, really, he's only been in one of the films, and obviously there are some other problems with that storyline.

Disney+ has also possibly eroded Disney's brands. People don't really recognize other studios the way they do Disney. Nobody looks at Barbie and thinks, "Oh, that's from Warner Bros. so it will be on HBO MAX in inb 90 days." Chances are they don't know WB owns HBO. Chances are they don't even know Barbie is from WB. People largely don't care what studio distributes a movie, with the exception of Disney of course. That's a testament as to how well Disney has presented their brand as a lifestyle, but that lifestyle now includes Disney+ for their core fanbase.

But the actors are aging. Do you want reboots? I don’t mind new content. I don’t know about going to the theater for this or any other movie, really, but I would watch it. Seems entertaining enough.

It actually was a pretty great movie - probably the best Phase 4/5 movie to date!

It actually was a pretty great movie - probably the best Phase 4/5 movie to date!

This thread is making me want to support it. I’ve watched everything marvel. And I think you’re right that there hasn’t been as much connectivity between movies after end game. They could all stand on their own. But ant man and black panther were like stand alones before that phase ended, too. It just come down to if the story is good and the movie is entertaining.

This thread is making me want to support it. I’ve watched everything marvel. And I think you’re right that there hasn’t been as much connectivity between movies after end game. They could all stand on their own. But ant man and black panther were like stand alones before that phase ended, too. It just come down to if the story is good and the movie is entertaining.

They were standalone in a way, but both Ant-Man abd BP factored into Civil War - Ant-Man was brought in for it, and BP actually spun out of it. While their movies didn't have Infinity Stones in them, there was still the idea that the characters were important.

They were standalone in a way, but both Ant-Man abd BP factored into Civil War - Ant-Man was brought in for it, and BP actually spun out of it. While their movies didn't have Infinity Stones in them, there was still the idea that the characters were important.

Right. It worked so well before because they introduced 3 characters movies before avengers? And then it was only 3 avengers movies to tell a cohesive MAIN story. And adding in other character movies along the way to support it was fun.

It’s not well known what the new main theme is and people aren’t staying interested for what it’s all building up to. Kang? Multiverse? It’s just a little too messy for casual viewers to get invested and for fans to stay invested.

Right. It worked so well before because they introduced 3 characters movies before avengers? And then it was only 3 avengers movies to tell a cohesive MAIN story. And adding in other character movies along the way to support it was fun.

It’s not well known what the new main theme is and people aren’t staying interested for what it’s all building up to. Kang? Multiverse? It’s just a little too messy for casual viewers to get invested and for fans to stay invested.

Yeah. This is a problem that ramps up in comic books too. People always complain about the multiple crossovers - intended to get you to buy more books - but they also tend to only get excited about and actually buy the big crossovers, not the average issues. The average issues often contain the better stories too, but people don't care. Translated to the cinema audience, movies are already a bit of an event - expecially at today's prices. People have come to expect everything to "matter" in a larger scheme. They have been trained to do so. If it doesn't, then what's the point?

Last edited:
I think you would enjoy it. I love watching movies on the big screen in the theatre. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, my husband has not watched WandaVision (on his list) or Ms. Marvel; he loved the Khan family and the storyline overall. It did remind us of Thor: Ragnarok where parts were bat guano crazy in a funny way and dramatic in other ways.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter