• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The newest DVC member!

hellerjw

DIS Veteran
We'll, after a lifetime of visiting Disney (first visit in 1974, I'm 38 now), 6 weekly stays in the last 10 years, and a family of 4 that can't get enough Disney I finally bit the bullet and made the commitment to join DVC. I'm purchasing a 200pt contract at AKV and can't be more excited. I just put my deposit down today so we are very early in the process but I already feel different, like I'm part of something special!

I wanted to post some news I think everyone will be interested in (although I have one selfish reason not too but its just too exciting to keep to myself).

We had already planned a trip this August for a stay at the PO-FQ before deciding to go ahead with the DVC membership. I knew I wanted AKV to be our home resort but all the info. I could find said there wouldn't be any rooms completed before September, so I figured I was out of luck making our first stay with DVC at our new home (AKV). To my surprise my guide told me they were ahead of schedule on a small number of room renovations and there would be limited AKV accomodations available starting in July and I could call in mid-May to try to reserve one!

Has anyone else heard this? Also, any advice for a brand new member?

Me first! Welcome Home!!

Call on May 16 and see what they tell you.

Or you might be able to use those points at another DVC resort if AKV isn't open yet.

Thanks! I had considered trying to book something a BWV initially and then trying to transfer it to AKV when May 16th rolls around.

I like what I've seen at BWV and I think the kids would love the pool area and its close to Epcot and MGM (a family favorite). Do you think I will have any trouble getting a 1BR for a week during mid-August? Any experience at BWV during the summer and/or with young children?

We'll, after a lifetime of visiting Disney (first visit in 1974, I'm 38 now), 6 weekly stays in the last 10 years, and a family of 4 that can't get enough Disney I finally bit the bullet and made the commitment to join DVC. I'm purchasing a 200pt contract at AKV and can't be more excited. I just put my deposit down today so we are very early in the process but I already feel different, like I'm part of something special!

I wanted to post some news I think everyone will be interested in (although I have one selfish reason not too but its just too exciting to keep to myself).

We had already planned a trip this August for a stay at the PO-FQ before deciding to go ahead with the DVC membership. I knew I wanted AKV to be our home resort but all the info. I could find said there wouldn't be any rooms completed before September, so I figured I was out of luck making our first stay with DVC at our new home (AKV). To my surprise my guide told me they were ahead of schedule on a small number of room renovations and there would be limited AKV accomodations available starting in July and I could call in mid-May to try to reserve one!

Has anyone else heard this? Also, any advice for a brand new member?

I got the same info. I will be there Aug 12-17th hoping to get AKL

WELCOME HOME!!

And you post a new rumor to boot! Way to go! :rotfl2:

P.S. Are you buying one 200 pt. contract or two 100 pointers?

Hi neighbor! I just signed up too! I got the acceptance papers on Friday! I had also made plans to stay at the French Quarter for my stay in Sept., and had to cancel when I signed up! I hope I get to stay at AKL in Sept. If not, I'm aiming for the Wilderness Villas!

Congrats! :cheer2:

Congratulations :thumbsup2 3DisneyKids asks a good question. We wish we had bought 2x100 instead of 200 because we'd like to have a second home at this point but can't sell just a portion of the contract. Food for thought.

I bought a single 200pt contract. Since AKV is a brand new resort the minimum buy in is 160pts. I didn't ask if they could split that into two 80pt contracts.

We wanted to be able to at least stay in a 1BR for a week each year and 160pts wouldn't allow us to do that in most cases where 200 pts would except in the very busy seasons.

That also gives us enough pts for 2 weekly stays in a studio each year during most seasons. We live about 5 hours from HH so being able to take a trip there each year too helped sway my decision to go for more points.

I like what I've seen at BWV and I think the kids would love the pool area and its close to Epcot and MGM (a family favorite). Do you think I will have any trouble getting a 1BR for a week during mid-August? Any experience at BWV during the summer and/or with young children?

you might also consider BCV, which is right across from BWV and has stormalong bay.

i don't know much (and i'm probably a little panicky since i had so much trouble getting a reservation last year on 4-5 month notice) but i'd encourage you to make reservations as soon as possible. a 1BR in mid-august is definitely a possibility but remember that the epcot resorts are relatively smaller and BWV members started making reservations for this august last july and august reservations at BWV were opened to all DVC members 3 months ago.

i don't think mid-august and september are particularly busy for the DVC but i would encourage you (and glendamax) not to delay in grabbing a room as soon as possible. it's not always as easy to reserve any resort you want as the promo DVD makes it look.

anyway, congrats on the purchase!

Congrats and Welcome Home to hellerjw and Glenda ! Hope you both have many happy stays with your DVC :cool1:
:banana: :cheer2: :yay:

i don't think mid-august and september are particularly busy for the DVC but i would encourage you (and glendamax) not to delay in grabbing a room as soon as possible.
I did! Thanks for the suggestion! :wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter