The Official What's For Dinner thread:Thursday 1-24-08? Recipe finder in OP. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
EEEKKK! I'm supposed to have figured this out by now?!?!? I thought Sundays were for relaxing! :teeth: I suppose something with Italian sausage and pasta--maybe a little garlic toast!

stacy347 said:
We are having a homemade chicken pot-pie today :)
(Well, the crust is premade, LOL ~ I make terrible pie crusts!)

Recipe pretty please!!!! :)

Chicken pot-pie recipe:

1 (top and bottom) pie crust ~ Pillsbury works for me ;)
1 lb. boneless chicken, cut into 1-in. cubes
1 small onion, diced
1 Tablespoon butter
1 C. chicken broth
3/4 C. peeled, chopped potato
1/2 tsp. parsley
1/4 tsp. rosemary
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
2 Tablespoons water
1 can (10.75 oz) cream of mushroom soup
1/2 C. sour cream
3/4 C. shredded cheddar cheese
1 egg-yolk, lightly beaten
1 Tablespoon milk

Cook chicken and onion in butter over medium-high heat, for about 5 minutes.
Stir in broth, potato, parsley and rosemary. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.

Combine corn starch and water, stirring until blended; add to chicken mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in soup, sour cream and cheese.

Spoon mixture into bottom crust. Place top crust over the mixture, seal and flute the edges. Cut slits in top crust.

Combine egg yolk and milk; brush over top crust.
Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes (until golden).

*My sister adds a bag of frozen mixed vegetables to her chicken mixture while cooking it...we are not fond of those but it's an easy addition for those who would like that.

**oops, forgot to say that this makes enough filling to bake your pie in a 2-quart casserole dish...otherwise, what I usually do is split it up between 2 pies...the mixture freezes well.**

This is not your typical pot-pie...it is very rich and creamy!! Enjoy :sunny:

I'm having parmesan pork chops, mashed potatoes, gravy, green salad and some kind of vegetable. I have a sour cream chocolate cake in the oven.

stacy347--thanks for the recipe--going to actually try it tonight--only thing I needed to get was the pie crust-- it's sounds so yummy, so much for italian sausage and pasta!

Sundays are always a big group meal, and early, at my house, and today we had a big pasta dinner at request of my BIL, who is home on leave from Iraq. So, rigatoni with choice of homemade tomato sauce or garlic, lemon zest, and olive oil, pork sausage, both hot and sweet, roasted garlic chicken sausage for those who don't eat pork, meatballs made by MomMom, garlic bread topped with mozzarella, arugula salad with cukes, tomatoes, and sweet onions. BIL ate all the salad, I guess fresh greens are not so common in "Camp Dirt." (his code name for where he is, not mine!) :)

Tonight's dinner is :
ham (left over from last night)
garlic mashed potatoes
whole green beans (I love these, can eat the whole bag myself!)

Morning!! Welcome the first day of spring!! :sunny: It's supposed to rain here today. :umbrella:

Tonight we are having homemade meatloaf and cheesy garlic smashed potatoes. Mmmmmm, comfort food :)

What are you having tonight?

How about your meatloaf recipe? Mine's pretty simple. Two pounds ground beef, 1 egg, a cup of quaker oatmeal, a big handful of onion/celery/green pepper mixture, a big dash of worcestershire sauce and salt & pepper.

I'm in the mood for some kind of pasta tonight. Maybe spaghetti in meat sauce or possibly some ravioli (frozen kind).

I think I will make stuffed peppers this evening. I bought some pretty red peppers Saturday, and want to use them. I use ground turkey because my DD will not eat any red meat. I'll probably make some mashed potatoes and a vegetable along with a cucumber and onion salad.

My meatloaf recipe usually vaires, but here's a pretty close recipe:

1 lb. ground beef or turkey (1 lb. will take care of me and hubby for 2 meals)
1/2 onion, chopped
1/4 green/red pepper, chopped
Couple of tablespoons of tomato sauce (about 1/2 of a small can)
1 egg
A good shake of bread crumbs
1-2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
Some herbs like fresh parsley

I think that's all I put in there :)

Mix and bake in a loaf pan for about 45-1 hour.

Morning--I think I'm going to make "chicken curry in a hurry"--from Rachel Ray's 365 no repeats! DH loves curry!

nucpharm29 said:
Morning--I think I'm going to make "chicken curry in a hurry"--from Rachel Ray's 365 no repeats! DH loves curry!

Ooh, I definitely want THAT recipe! I love curry!

Lindsay, I'll give you my mother's meatloaf recipe:

2 lbs ground beef
salt & pepper

Form into big glob and top with ketchup.

Bake at 350 until you're certain that every last ounce of moisture has been cooked out of the glob.

Mmm mmm good! That's good eatin! :lmao:

From Rachael Ray's 365 no repeats #226
1 cup white rice (I'm going to use Jasmine rice)
2 tbsp veggie oil
1 med-size sweet potato, peeled, cut in half lengthwise, then thinly sliced into half moons
salt and pepper
1 rounded tbsp of mild curry paste or 2 tbsp curry powder
2 pounds chicken tenders, bite size chunks (I never use the whole 2 lbs--way too much food for our small family)
1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and thinly sliced
1 tbsp flour
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
1/4 cup prepared mango chutney ( I like Pataks Hot Mango Chutney--DH like it hot!)
1 10-ounce box frozen peas
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves

Heat 2 cups of water (instead of water I like to use another recipe of hers that calls for mostly chicken broth and a little coconut milk) to a boil in a pot, then add the rice, stir, and return to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook for 18 min. or until tender

Preheat a large, deep skillet over med-high heat with the veggie oil. Add the sweet potatoes to the skillet, season with salt, pepper, and curry and cook, stirring frequently, for 3-4 min or until lightly browned. Scoot the potatoes over to one side of the pan and add the chicken, season with salt and pepper, cook, browning for 3 min. Add the onions and bell peppers and toss to combine. Add the flour and continue to cook for 1 min. Add the chicken stock, cream and chutney, bring to a simmer and cook for 10min or so until the chicken and potatoes oare coooked through and sauce has thickened.

Add the peas and cilantro and simmer for 1 min more. Serve over rice

Enjoy!

Oh, and stacy 347 the pot pie recipe was a big hit last night for dinner! Thanks again for the recipe!

Hey Lindsay, are you starting your job today???

Let us know how it goes!

We are having leftover meatloaf and mashed potatoes :)

What are you having for dinner this evening??

ETA: Does anyone want this thread to go away? My computer was down yesterday and I couldn't DIS until late last night and I noticed there was another WFD thread already started. Do you guys want me to 86 this one and just let whoever do a daily one??

LindsayDunn228 said:
We are having leftover meatloaf and mashed potatoes :)

What are you having for dinner this evening??

ETA: Does anyone want this thread to go away? My computer was down yesterday and I couldn't DIS until late last night and I noticed there was another WFD thread already started. Do you guys want me to 86 this one and just let whoever do a daily one??

No way! I like having this one where the recipes are in one place and we know where to find it. :thumbsup2

Oh BTW, I haven't started my job yet. I am going to work out today and will probably find out then :) I can't wait!!!

Glad you like the recipe finder. I hoped it would make things easier on folks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter