The Pro-Genie App discussion thread - speculate how the app could make your trip next trip great!

This is kinda how FP+ worked in practice IMO. The more you paid, the better/easier time you had.

Pay the most by staying on site longer, get first dibs at those best/hard to get FP+s. You paid to sit at the Chef's table and get the best cut of steak.
Pay a lot, but not quite as much as the first group, by staying on-site for shorter got next crack to those FP+s. Your not at the chef's table but you're in the VIP lounge and we still likely have the best steak for you too, but maybe not. But that's ok too, we still have other really good cuts of steak for you too.
Then for those who paid the least by staying off-site you get some ok FP+s. You can still afford this restaurant, but you get chicken.

But don't fret, if you couldn't afford to pay to sit at the chef's table or in the VIP room, you too still have a way to get the best steak. You just should have reasearched better on how to get that best cut of steak. It's EASY to still get the best cut of steak. You just need to hover around the kitchen every ten minutes as the people who were at the chef's table may have decided to send their steak back even though they ordered it and you can have it now.

I'm going to stay with the 'time you wait for your meal' analogy because I think it's better at highlighting different intuitions than 'cut of steak'. I think people already very much accept that paying more money gets you filet mignon vs. rump roast. That difference will merit nothing more than a "Yeah... so?" in our society because it's totally normal for us. But I think the idea that a waiter would consciously bring some members of a party their meal half an hour before others is a bit "gasp-worthy" in our culture, and so better highlights the perspective of people who see paid FP as similarly gasp-worthy.

I think it's a fair point to say that this system was already unequal to an extent. But it was a pretty mild extent, so I think the analogy still holds. Staying longer at a Disney resort could be likened to putting in your takeout dinner order at noon and asking them to have it ready by 6:30 - with that much advance notice, yeah, it will probably happen a bit quicker for you than for the person who calls at 6:10. Staying offsite? Maybe akin to living 30 miles away from the restaurant vs. 5 miles away and asking for delivery. Yeah, there will be some differences, but those are expected. But when your waiter out and out serves your brother-in-law his meal and gives you a cold smile before walking off, breezily saying "Yours will be out in another 40 minutes or so."? That's a violation of our societal expectations of what is 'ok'.

Again, I'm not saying that's the analogy I'm going with. I'm genuinely kind of agnostic on this one. I will let the people speak for themselves when the new plan hits the shelves, ha ha! Just saying, I think looking at different analogies can highlight different perspectives.

Sorry. I’m just not following. Or maybe I just see it as the same thing. Feeling bad/sad for someone is the same thing to me in this scenario. Either way, there is no reason to feel guilty.

Maybe just my interpretation, but if I hear someone say "Hey man, I feel bad about last Friday..." I would assume maybe they did something last Friday that merits an apology. So if someone says "I feel bad that I have a FP while this person doesn't", to my mind that could mean either: 1.) I feel bad as in I think 'this just isn't right' or 2) I feel bad as in I have sympathy for them.

Reading this made me realize why I may have a different view than others.

What you describe at the restaurant? I already assume that’s happening. Perhaps not to that extent, but I believe a VIP or chefs table would absolutely be served before me, even if I was there first.

I hope not, but it probably does to an extent (it probably depends on things like if the restaurant is in LA, Manhattan, or a smallish city in the midwest as well). Like I said, I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here, just differing perspectives.

Maybe just my interpretation, but if I hear someone say "Hey man, I feel bad about last Friday..." I would assume maybe they did something last Friday that merits an apology. So if someone says "I feel bad that I have a FP while this person doesn't", to my mind that could mean either: 1.) I feel bad as in I think 'this just isn't right' or 2) I feel bad as in I have sympathy for them.
Regardless of the reason for feeling bad in the FP scenario, there is no need/reason to apologize or feel guilty. You didn’t create the system. I think that’s the difference.

Regardless of the reason for feeling bad in the FP scenario, there is no need/reason to apologize or feel guilty. You didn’t create the system. I think that’s the difference.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a contrarian, but I think it makes a difference in how you proceed. If you think something is morally wrong, you shouldn't support it with your dollars. This is why I won't buy factory farmed animal meat, for example, and admire people who don't buy meat at all. I didn't create that system but I am sure as heck causing more animals to suffer if I support it. If you're just empathizing with a person's feelings though - you look at someone who wants to go to Disney and can't afford a ticket and think 'I'm sorry, I really hope you can afford a ticket some day!', that's different.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a contrarian, but I think it makes a difference in how you proceed. If you think something is morally wrong, you shouldn't support it with your dollars. This is why I won't buy factory farmed animal meat, for example, and admire people who don't buy meat at all. I didn't create that system but I am sure as heck causing more animals to suffer if I support it. If you're just empathizing with a person's feelings though - you look at someone who wants to go to Disney and can't afford a ticket and think 'I'm sorry, I really hope you can afford a ticket some day!', that's different.
I mean sure, if you think it’s morally wrong to pay extra for fast passes, then don’t.
I just don’t think that many/most/anyone? would feel it’s morally wrong to pay for fast passes.

This is really my takeaway, too. I just don’t see any scenario where we didn’t end up here. I’m glad we got it for free for 20+ years, but I don’t think that was ever going to go on in perpetuity.

A lot of numbers are being thrown around. Based on nothing but my own instinct, I bet it is about $10-15 a LP, and we would likely use it maybe twice a day. For my family of three for let’s say four days, that’s about $250. I think it’s a reasonable price tag for the value of what you would get.

A number of people have brought up good points, like what happens when the ride you paid for goes down. I guess we’ll see what Disney comes up with!
I am willing to bet the line passes will be at $15.00 on the low end since they were offering club level the ability to purchase 3 at $50.00 pre covid.

I mean, I liked Maxpass at DL when we went. I liked making everything same day and I liked going with the flow more so than doing FP+ at WDW scheduling 3 things in advance. For my DL trips, it won't change all that much. For WDW I will reserve judgement until I see if it works the way it does at DL. The downside is that a lot of fastpasses at DL were gone by early afternoon and that would really stink at WDW especially with park hopping and availability. I'm also not sure how I feel about paying more for headline attractions but I suppose if I really want to ride that ride then it's that or a long standby line. I am curious how it all works out (and hope that the kinks are figured out by February)

Used Max pass for DLR and enjoyed it. Not sure I would pay for genie+ For a longer trip or I would have to adjust my budget.

There are still several unknowns, but from the sound of things, it's not as bad as some people had made it out to be, but many won't find it as good as what we used to have for free...

I'm curious to understand how the days-ahead reservations will work (can you pick a time, do you need to buy Genie+ those days, is it free for those 2, what rides are included?). I'm curious to see how fast the lightning passes get taken (how quickly return times build up), and how expensive and available the pay-per-ride passes are (and how the return times work, or whether they're instant). And (though we'll never see this data), I'm curious at how this will affect the standby lines and whether visiting the park doing standby only is a real option. One thing that's interesting: this certainly isn't going to reduce planning ahead, the way I thought it might...

I think it'll take some time to settle out, but like most things Disney has introduced, eventually people will figure out the "best" ways to use the system to get what they want. I don't have a trip currently planned, so I'll get to see how it shakes out by the time I am next able to go!

The perk for me of staying onsite is just that I’m onsite.
Which means what to you? Like, easier/faster to get to the parks, being “in the bubble,” really loving the resorts themselves? Or other stuff?

Those are all big to me, but I still don’t really think those things together make, say a $500/night AoA resort “worth it” over staying just offsite at the Residence Inn for under $200/night (for a comparable) room without something extra, like some “head starts” like extra hours or free FP or something. IDK. I guess I’ll just have to wait and see how it goes, assuming this thing will be in place before my fall trip.

Which means what to you? Like, easier/faster to get to the parks, being “in the bubble,” really loving the resorts themselves? Or other stuff?

Those are all big to me, but I still don’t really think those things together make, say a $500/night AoA resort “worth it” over staying just offsite at the Residence Inn for under $200/night (for a comparable) room without something extra, like some “head starts” like extra hours or free FP or something. IDK. I guess I’ll just have to wait and see how it goes, assuming this thing will be in place before my fall trip.
Being in the bubble!

Are you comparing the family suite? Not doubting, just curious what room at AoA you were comparing. LM rooms at AoA are less than half that. And those are generally the highest priced value rooms. I could get a standard value room for several dates I looked at next year for $120-130ish for all stars and $140-150ish for Pop, and one week I was looking at for ASMu was $108/night. That all sounds more than worth being onsite to me.
But I love everything you mentioned. The biggest perk for staying onsite for me has always been the transportation and proximity. Yes, I did take advantage of the other perks, but those weren't make or breaks or why I would book onsite.

Well? What do you think?

At first I only learned about the $15/pp/ticket/day to hold one Lightning Lane at a time. I was all "woo hoo! I'll do that in a heartbeat!"
And then the next shoe dropped when we watched the official Disney video explaining Genie
I told DH "hold on. Rewind that. What did he just say?" The narrarator rattled it out fast. I caught something about an additional charge. So went online and found this.:

"Individual ‘high demand’ attraction shortcuts available for purchase
The third level to today’s announcement offers a second tier of paid shortcut offerings. For some of the highest-demand attractions, you’ll have to pay a separate amount beyond the cost of Genie+ to access those Lightning Lanes.

For those top-tier attractions (such as Radiator Springs Racers at Disneyland, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train at Magic Kingdom, Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance and even the soon-to-open Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure in Epcot), you’ll be able to purchase up to two Lightning Lane access selections for each day.

The exact pricing for these individual Lightning Lane attractions has not yet been announced. However, if we use the system just announced at Disneyland Paris as the guidelines, those attractions cost between about $9 and $18 per expedited access entrance.

This part I am NOT happy with! Doubt we will pay it for anything except Ratatouille... once! In October we will do as many headliners as possible in that first half hour that resort guests get. If, for the rest of the day all we get to ride with our $15 Genie+ purchase are the rides/attractions that never needed FP in the first place... well, we will leave as dissatisfied guests and the draw to return will be greatly diminished.

So this is a bit confusing. Are they selling a daily FP, where you can get one at a time, for $15 extra a day? But then some of the top tier rides are not included and then you will have to pay per ride for those? Is that what I am understanding? So no free FP anymore?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter