The return of Photobob!

photobob

DIS Veteran
Hey, all!

This is a very belated trip report. First some background. I am a former DVC member and used to be fairly active here on the Disboards. Long story short my DW was diagnosed with MS in 2011 and judging from how she couldn't tolerate heat and has mobility issues we decided to sell our DVC conract in 2012. We have been through some difficult stretches but we have learned to survive and thrive with the MS!

Our closest friends are DVC members and in the spring of 2013 asked us if we would like to go to WDW with them and share a 2 BDR villa at AKV during F&W. I talked it over with DW and while she was worried about the trip we decided yes we would go. I emailed our friends and simply replied "We are in!"

This was a adults only trip, two couples all of us around 50 years old. DW and I had a very short trip just the two of us in February 2008 and all other trips have included some or all of the kids, we have two and a DIL they have one son.

DW was very concerned about this trip afraid that she was going to be a burden and that she was going to get in the way of everyone having a good time. She did nothing of the sort of course!! This was a big important trip for her emotionally. Our previous trip was when here MS symptoms really kicked into high gear. This was the first time we had returned since and this time she was touring the parks in a wheelchair. We ocassionally use the wheelchair at home but at WDW it was a must!

Leading up to the trip I was so extraordinarily busy I did very little in preparation for it. We have all been several times and our main reason for going was to experience the F&W festival. My friends had been telling me a little about the Magic Bands and FP+. We did get the Magic Bands ahead of time and thought they were a great idea, we unfortunately didn't have the best of luck with them. I still like them they were still having issues to iron out with them which I completely understand.

We arrived on Sunday, November 3rd, the last full week of F&W. Our friends have to board their dog so we didn't leave Alabama until around 9 am. We usually leave at the crack of dawn but this was a different trip! DW and I were quite excited about staying at AKV since it was a resort we had never stayed at before. We had a decent drive down, hit some heavy traffic especially from the Florida state line to the Turnpike.

We drove on property for the first time at dark! It was so strange arriving after dark! Time had changed that day so the sun was setting earlier.

See next post for arrival evening...

Our friends had stayed two times previously at AKV and they absolutely love the place. Andrea loves animals more than anyone I know and has dozens of matted and framed photos of the animals on the savannah displayed on the walls of living room. I am a professional photographer I use her as my second shooter and assistant on many of my weddings.

I mentioned on the previous post we arrived shortly after dark which was a first for us and was honestly a very strange feeling especially around AKV which is a dark resort. We got checked in and it took a while to get all the bracelets activated, you could tell it was still a new process at this resort. We went to the room and only Bill's bracelet would open the door to the lock off studio. It would be the only time we could open that door for the next two days some we just used the interior door until then

We had a reservation that evening at Ragland Road and we barely had time to get in the room and drop off our bags before it was time to head out. We were unaware that a huge portion of the parking lots were closed at DTD because of the upcoming major overhaul of the area. We got into the parking area and it was major gridlock.

We drop of Andrea and Bill in front of Ragland Road and we try to go park the car. We saw what we though were several handicap spaces and we drive over and find out the signs were for County Deputy vehicles. We drive around the parking lot and find that every row has 5 or 6 cars waiting for people to leave to empty a parking space. We eventually end up parking at the Disney Institute and walking and pushing DW the 1/4 mile or so back to Ragland Road. More of an ordeal than we were planning for. It was at least 30-40 minutes from the time we arrived until we parked at DTD.

Thankfully everything improved significantly after we got parked. We were seated in an area tucked away in a corner which was perfect for us. We were able to talk be still enjoy the ambiance of this very cool restaurant. We all enjoyed the meal, I had Sheperd's Pie, DW had Lamb Pie?, Bill had Bangers and Booze and Andrea had Fish and Chips. I had my first Guiness beer, not my favorite but glad I tried! I mentioned we traveled the day after my birthday, the front desk clerk at AKV found out it gave me a birthday pen. Our waitress at Ragland Road saw the pen and brought me a free dessert, Bread Pudding which turned out to be the star of the dinner! It is fantastic, Andrea ordered one for herself too!

The weekend before we left I was doing a maternity shoot and the husband of the expectant mother had a Ragland Road soccer shirt on! I told him we are eating there one week from today! They told us to make sure and order the Bread Pudding that it was the best dessert they had ever eaten. They were right!!

We strolled through the barricades and made our way back to the car after dinner and then headed back to AKV. I didn't mention earlier, but the room decor at AKV is beautiful. I think it is my favorite of all of the DVC resorts. I really like WLV rooms as well! The second bathroom addition in the 1 BDR villas is also a big plus!

Next post-waking up with the giraffes!

Have gone through your old trip reports. Love your photography - can't wait to read and see more.
popcorn::

Looking forward to your report & pictures. I remember reading about your decision to sell your DVC. Glad your wife was able to make another trip & hope it left her with some good memories.

Can't wait for the next installment. happy to hear your DW is well enough to travel and enjoy WDW!

I'm so glad your wife is doing well! I can't wait to see more of your wonderful photos and read about your trip.

Welcome back photobob, I remember your posts from the past. Glad your wife was able to go, and I hope this is just the beginning.

Hi photobob. I just stumbled onto this, and I remember you and your wife, and her diagnosis with MS so well. So glad to see you back! If I remember right, don't you live in the Aniiston-Ganiston area? I'm so glad your wife was up to a WDW trip, and I hope you guys get to go again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter