The Rumor Tracking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I don’t quite get is why no current general public room discount? The only thing I can think of is that they truly want/need to keep park volume low and can’t totally alienate AP holders in favor of on-site guests. As a result, we end up with only an AP room discount so at least they can theoretically pull a higher spend per AP guest.

One thing I don’t quite get is why no current general public room discount? The only thing I can think of is that they truly want/need to keep park volume low and can’t totally alienate AP holders in favor of on-site guests. As a result, we end up with only an AP room discount so at least they can theoretically pull a higher spend per AP guest.
i think part of the hope is that they can avoid discounting by limiting inventory. If they can reduce availability they hope they can keep prices up to a level that allows them to hit revenue targets without having to increase the guest number much. That would allow them to avoid offering a general public discount and avoid headlines accusing Disney of trying to entice people to travel during a pandemic.

i think part of the hope is that they can avoid discounting by limiting inventory. If they can reduce availability they hope they can keep prices up to a level that allows them to hit revenue targets without having to increase the guest number much. That would allow them to avoid offering a general public discount and avoid headlines accusing Disney of trying to entice people to travel during a pandemic.
Makes sense they would want to do the above, but that plan doesn’t seem to be working.

A few new fairly significant rumors from multiple posters on WDW Magic:

MansionButler84 said:
In what is sure to surprise only Bob Iger, the parks are no longer planning to host MVMCP this year. Folks tired of party season are getting their wishes.

pheneix said:
Oh man. I have logged in, written drafts, deleted them, and swore I would never do this. Yet here I am. And I'm ready to start some ****.

The Walt Disney Company is about to experience some of the deepest layoffs I have ever witnessed in my adult life. I would call attention to the 2002 and 2009 layoffs after those respective crises. Those separations from the company were orderly. Often via generous voluntary packages. Hell, to his credit, Al Weiss was militant about never laying off a CM against their will after 9/11. I respect that. He was basically a ******* otherwise.

In 2009, there was a similar "orderly" exit of excess personnel. However, much of this labor was brought back remarkably fast as Disney's business was in far better shape in 2009.

We also have other, smaller layoffs that hit project teams at WDI. These are bull**** layoffs. Flim Flam. Just some accounting tricks. Almost everyone is brought back.

Well, these days are no more. What you are about to see from WDC will be shocking and it will permanently change their business forever. The bloat is about to be gone. The mediocrity that's failed upward all our lives is about to be purged. A new company is emerging.

And no, Bob Chapek is no hero. But he does recognize the value in taking out the trash.

Now, lets talk about attendance at WDW. It's effing bad. Its Hard Rock Park bad. It's Dubai bad. Its the worst attendance in the history of the resort. Epcot is lucky to hit 2500 a day and usually is only hosting a few hundred at a time. Magic Kingdom is tormentingly under performing. There is simply no demand to fill the park out even to its limited capacity. The other two parks are also in dire straits, but due to their smaller size, there are certain days they can make a go of it. And yet still, the resort business is the iceberg and WDW Parks are the titanic. This will not end well.

The situation is dire. Unsustainable. WDW parks will be dropping to five day weeks soon. They will likely not be alone in this practice.

And that brings me to Bob Iger. Mr. Chairman. Mr. Gotta Put Yoda on His Wife's Dress to Bury Some Search Engine Leads. That guy. It is my pleasure to announce that he will be soon tossed on his ***. In disgrace. His sins, his poor judgement, his poor treatment of subordinates. His malicious temper and outrageous displays of "toxic masculinity" as the kids call it. All this and more is coming out. Good riddance.

pheneix said:
Likewise it is wonderful to see so many old school names dropping in.

Not wanting to read a bombardment of dumb people to get to the good ones is why I kept hesitating to post. Not because I care about them. But because it takes time to mute/block/troll whoever is in the way of the good stuff. Still, I'm here. Let's see what they got.

You can't layoff enough people in WDI. The place needs to be shut down and padlocked. Then after a period of time, you bring it back to life. With new people, with new dreams. And without this tired bunch of talentless hacks.

On Splash Mt... I don't think its ever gonna happen. Maybe in Anaheim. But the company is broke. Their financial situation is gravely serious and some heartbreaking change is ahead for Disney. Yet Bob Iger makes the call that "something has to be done" to monetize the current political climate. So we get this project. I should add that some of the stuff pitched is elaborate as hell. Ride flume rerouting. Concrete removal. New sets. New AAs. But its all concept with no clear runway to reality. They don't even plan on closing the ride until 2022. The project itself is on like a three year timetable. Basically an excuse to keep all "the right people" employed while everything else is vaporized.

pheneix said:
Really, you should see the concepts for Mickey Avenue to replace Main St in Anaheim.

If they are going to be open, they need to do things that will drive attendance and revenue. They need to send a message to the public want to be open and aren’t ashamed of being open. They need to stop worrying about bad PR from from some segments. This should be about the long term survival of TWDC in as close to its current form as possible and not about protecting Bob Iger’s future political ambitions.

Disney has put in safety measures and capacity limits that their own experts tell them will work. They need to trust their people, offer deals and other incentive to increase occupancy and attendance to the capacity they have targeted.

They already took the PR hits by being open now.

I think Disney could increase its attendance if it wanted to. This seems like a time to offer some sort of "come now and play again later" promo. The main thing keeping me away right now, isn't the virus really, it is the cost associated with a "reduced" experience.

There is a fine line though .. obviously we don't want pre-March crowds, but at the same time, not sure how parks that size can even operate with a few thousand people a day.

I think at this point, some places either need to be open fully ... or closed .. no in-between. There is a ton of cost associated with being "half open" that is getting harder and harder for businesses to absorb. Half-capacity restaurants, limited attendance with reservations, being open, but not having all attractions open etc.

I don't see how a LOT of large companies make it through the year without huge layoffs (my own company included)

I think Disney could increase its attendance if it wanted to. This seems like a time to offer some sort of "come now and play again later" promo. The main thing keeping me away right now, isn't the virus really, it is the cost associated with a "reduced" experience.

There is a fine line though .. obviously we don't want pre-March crowds, but at the same time, not sure how parks that size can even operate with a few thousand people a day.

I think at this point, some places either need to be open fully ... or closed .. no in-between. There is a ton of cost associated with being "half open" that is getting harder and harder for businesses to absorb. Half-capacity restaurants, limited attendance with reservations, being open, but not having all attractions open etc.

I don't see how a LOT of large companies make it through the year without huge layoffs (my own company included)

the challenge is how many places can be "fully open" and be safe (or at least follow what is advized to be safe/permitted due to what experts are saying is safe)? Particularly for indoor things

I do think you idea of a "come now play later" idea is interesting - like if they gave you 20% credit of the value of your package to be used on another trip in 2021, woudl that help with those that feel the value isn't there for the reduced experience now?

the challenge is how many places can be "fully open" and be safe (or at least follow what is advized to be safe/permitted due to what experts are saying is safe)? Particularly for indoor things

I do think you idea of a "come now play later" idea is interesting - like if they gave you 20% credit of the value of your package to be used on another trip in 2021, woudl that help with those that feel the value isn't there for the reduced experience now?
That would help me .. or the ability to even buy an AP (even without a discount). Any rumors on when those may go back on sale?

I mean, the main reason I went to Tweetsie Railroad was because of that $10 price tag. I didn't mind having a reduced experience, wear a mask and having to make a reservation for such a significant discount. We spent 2 hours there, had some fun and left. (But I didn't make a trip specifically there for the park, we were doing other mountain vacation things)

But if the Florida resident discounts doesn't help pick up attendance, not sure how much discounts would get people out of state (who probably have to get on a plane) to go there now.

That's one reason we kept our AP.

I have no idea what Martin's post means. Anyone able to translate from British?

Any rumors about regional or general public ticket discounts?

If Disney wants to raise more money and draw more people to the parks, the solution is simple... some sort of ticket discount for non Fla residents. I can't see them yielding hotel rack rates but the discounts will build gradually if they aren't filling rooms.

You have to incentivize people to visit and paying for full price tickets under the current circumstances aint gonna cut it. Disney needs to stop worrying about the trolls and haters (and Abigail Disney). If they sold some flexible date tickets or brought back some of their old options they could attract people back or at least raise enough money to get by. Things like no-expiration tickets, flexible use tickets (use several times in the next year), or use by ____ date tickets will bring people back. Florida residents are not going out in the heat of the summer at the height of a pandemic.

They are paying a steep price for holding tight to their control and date based ticket pricing. They need to make it easier to visit not harder.

Any rumors about regional or general public ticket discounts?

If Disney wants to raise more money and draw more people to the parks, the solution is simple... some sort of ticket discount for non Fla residents. I can't see them yielding hotel rack rates but the discounts will build gradually if they aren't filling rooms.

You have to incentivize people to visit and paying for full price tickets under the current circumstances aint gonna cut it. Disney needs to stop worrying about the trolls and haters (and Abigail Disney). If they sold some flexible date tickets or brought back some of their old options they could attract people back or at least raise enough money to get by. Things like no-expiration tickets, flexible use tickets (use several times in the next year), or use by ____ date tickets will bring people back. Florida residents are not going out in the heat of the summer at the height of a pandemic.

They are paying a steep price for holding tight to their control and date based ticket pricing. They need to make it easier to visit not harder.
A ticket discount to non-Florida Is going to be a last resort. Disney will discount hotels until the cows come home though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter