The Running Thread—2023

I know I posted on another thread, but my mom fell while we were at Disney for W & D. She fractured her femur and had to have surgery. She went to a rehab facility on Monday. She could not stand on her own, but they were able to help her get up and stand assisted. It is not much but it is better than it was. It is going to take a while but hopefully she can come home.
I hope your mum is doing better and that you're able to spend some time with her during Thanksgiving. Sending love your way! ❤️

Seems like everyone is sleeping off their turkey coma....

I have one thing to be Un-Thankful for....a recurrence of my C5/C6 disc issues. Right now it's all about pain management (basically--ice) and trying to find any position that I can sleep without exacerbating it (basically--none) Not sure how this happened (that's always been the case), but I have told my husband that I am ready to throw out the disaster of a mattress we have and all my pillows.

So no running or anything for that matter. Of course, I had just started an 8 week 10k plan for DL. But totally don't care. Doesn't take training to finish a 10k.

On the plus side, my son decided to get married on Jan 5. So I better book those plane tickets!

Happy Black Friday shopping to those who partake. Is it weird to say part of me misses the thrill of the hunt of the old days--getting up at 5 am to get to "the mall" early to snag the bargains. All the research beforehand, the planning. Wait....this sounds like rope drop and a Disney trip!

Seems like everyone is sleeping off their turkey coma....

I have one thing to be Un-Thankful for....a recurrence of my C5/C6 disc issues. Right now it's all about pain management (basically--ice) and trying to find any position that I can sleep without exacerbating it (basically--none) Not sure how this happened (that's always been the case), but I have told my husband that I am ready to throw out the disaster of a mattress we have and all my pillows.

So no running or anything for that matter. Of course, I had just started an 8 week 10k plan for DL. But totally don't care. Doesn't take training to finish a 10k.

On the plus side, my son decided to get married on Jan 5. So I better book those plane tickets!

Happy Black Friday shopping to those who partake. Is it weird to say part of me misses the thrill of the hunt of the old days--getting up at 5 am to get to "the mall" early to snag the bargains. All the research beforehand, the planning. Wait....this sounds like rope drop and a Disney trip!
I hope you're feeling better soon. That sounds horrible. Definitely invest in a good bed! We bought a really nice one 5ish years ago and it makes all the difference.

Made it to Atlanta for the Atlanta Thanksgiving Half Marathon. It’s going to be 39* at start with light wind. I’m a Georgia girl; I don’t like it!
Which is why I didn’t try a race yesterday. Too cold for my lungs.

I did go for a run later when it was warm , cruising along at a good easy pace and pulled a hamstring or cramps at 2.91 miles. I stopped and called the wife to come get me and then sat on an ice pack.

I’ll try again this weekend.

Just me whining again- once again I get into a training groove only to be derailed by illness. This time it's some kind of stomach bug that has had me feeling nauseous since Wednesday. Supposed to do 8 tomorrow, but I don't know if it's going to happen. Just praying I'll be able to finish these races. I can't believe we are 6 weeks away!

Just me whining again- once again I get into a training groove only to be derailed by illness. This time it's some kind of stomach bug that has had me feeling nauseous since Wednesday. Supposed to do 8 tomorrow, but I don't know if it's going to happen. Just praying I'll be able to finish these races. I can't believe we are 6 weeks away!

Hang in there! I'd say "trade you your nausea for my disc issues"---but that wouldn't be a fair trade!

I don't see it as whining, and you have my full sympathies. I would imagine all of us get frustrated by illness and ailments that hinder our training.
This close to a race, I start getting paranoid about anything that might be an issue for race weekend. I'm careful going down my 3 porch steps to get the mail, or lifting more than 12 ounces, and ready to bolt if someone so much as sneezes or has a runny nose.

After my run that was terminated early on Thursday, I applied ice, took two days off and tried again today. I did a very easy, slow run (just under 12 min/mile) for 3.1 miles and things felt pretty good. There were a couple of times when I think I felt something trying to rear its ugly head, but kept everything at bay and the last mile was getting down around a 10.5 min/mile pace. So far so good.

QOTD: What sunglasses do y'all recommend that won't fog up?

I currently run in goodr but it's starting to get cold enough that I need to protect my face with a buff/balaclava. The second that happens, my sunglasses are fogged and useless so I have to choose between protecting my skin from the cold or my eyes from the sun/snow glare.

I currently run in goodr but it's starting to get cold enough that I need to protect my face with a buff/balaclava. The second that happens, my sunglasses are fogged and useless so I have to choose between protecting my skin from the cold or my eyes from the sun/snow glare.
are they fogging on the inside of the lens, or the outside? lots of anti-fog products you could put on the lenses, although I'm not sure what (if anything) that may do to the reflective coatings if the outside is fogging.

Get a gaiter with a nose clip to move the humid air away from the glasses

In the masking times of covid, I learned that you can prevent at least some fogginess by washing your lenses with liquid soap beforehand. (It does not need to be Dawn, which is what some people will tell you, but foam soap does not work.)

are they fogging on the inside of the lens, or the outside? lots of anti-fog products you could put on the lenses, although I'm not sure what (if anything) that may do to the reflective coatings if the outside is fogging.
I have no idea. I think it's the inside? Today I discovered that if I pull my face covering up high enough over my nose so that my sunglasses are on top of it, the fogging is less. It's definitely related to my warm breath making it's way to the lenses so it must be the inside.

Has anyone used a refillable flask for energy gels? Ive been considering trying it. I hate carrying home the used gel packs. I figure if I make sure to wash it right away, it should work....

I have no idea. I think it's the inside? Today I discovered that if I pull my face covering up high enough over my nose so that my sunglasses are on top of it, the fogging is less. It's definitely related to my warm breath making it's way to the lenses so it must be the inside.
That was exactly what I was going to suggest! For buffs or medical face masks, too, so long as I position it over my nose with glasses on top, I experience minimal fogging. It’s less effective in the rain, though.

Has anyone used a refillable flask for energy gels? Ive been considering trying it. I hate carrying home the used gel packs. I figure if I make sure to wash it right away, it should work....

I have two. They each fit four gels I think and then I mix with a little water. I haven't had any issues with it. I bought them after I dropped a gel (popped out of a pocket) during the 2022 Marathon and nearly killed myself (and several others) backtracking to pick it up.

Get a gaiter with a nose clip
Depending on how it is made, it is pretty easy to add a nose clip by inserting a short piece of coated floral wire or a bit of pipe cleaner (about 3 inches long). Assuming there is a seam in the top with two layers of fabric, you can cut a small opening near where you want it, insert the wire and (hand or machine) sew a few stitches on either side so it doesn't slide around. Then just stitch up your opening. If it doesn't have a seam already, you could fold over the top edge toward the inside to create an encasement for the wire. It's a bit more sewing and won't look quite as clean, but still works.

I made (and modified) a lot of masks during Covid.

The things we do for stupid virtual stuff: Garmin edition ......Going out to get 10,000 steps so I can earn my final Garmin Disney badge and the extra one....even though I am exhausted and pained with my neck issue. But it's done.

So that's my (latest) one....care to share
Last year, one of my coworkers challenged me with a step challenge on the app we got through our company health insurance.

It was in the lead up to Princess weekend, and I was trying to adjust my sleep schedule to be earlier so the rD wakeups would be less painful, so I was getting up at 6am, but didn’t need to WFH until 8am, so I hopped on the treadmill and walked 4.5 miles before work, and then walked 3.41 miles during a listening-only meeting that afternoon, and then walked another 5 miles that evening after dinner.

35,305 steps and I completely dominated that challenge (and won nothing more than bragging rights) 🤣🤣

Virtual Stuff....Garmin Edition.....
I love getting Garmin badges and sometimes I make the family come along for the three mile weekend walks, or whatever else I'm after.....so my husband says, "I'm going to make up badges for vacuuming so you'll do some chores!" Well, since he has said that we randomly came across an app for housecleaning and it gives you points and badges!!! Yesterday I cleaned the microwave and got two points! LOL

Back to Garmin though.....I was really hoping for a 15k badge in December since I have a two hour training run for Disneyland Half Marathon so now I'm thinking, "darn! two hours of running and no badge!" Is it even worth it?!?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter