• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread—2023

Let’s say, theoretically, that someone is having a calf issue. And it was fine for treadmill runs, but for 2 cross training events, their calf has basically locked up, and then tonight, it happened 15min into a 2hr event. And now they can’t fully flex their foot because said calf is clenched. Theoretically, of course. And none of the usual calf stretches are/feel like they are doing anything.
😬😬😬

(And PT requires a pcp visit, a referral, and then probably a 2 week wait to get on the schedule)
I used to get really bad wake-you-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night calf cramps. They would lock up and I couldn’t move. I started eating a pickle a day and the cramps went away. Not sure if you have the same issue but might be worth a try. 🤷‍♀️

November Running:

Total Distance: 84.8 miles
Average Pace: 11:02 / mile

Ran the Philadelphia Half Marathon on 11/18. I didn't write a race report because it was just meh. The first time in a long time, maybe ever? that I felt like I would have rathered stay in bed than run the race. I was not into it at all. I don't know if I still have post-marathon blahs after Chicago or what. I took it slow, almost 20 min slower than my PB at this race a year ago, but honestly I don't know if I could have gone much faster. Mentally definitely not. It's a good thing I signed up for the Disneyland Half and Princess Half so I am forced to keep training. Otherwise I really don't know if I would be running right now. Just going to keep faking it til I make it though.
Have you taken a break at all? Might be worth a quick little week off reset.

Have you taken a break at all? Might be worth a quick little week off reset.
Thanks for the suggestion, but that’s hard for me. I did take a week off after the marathon, but not since. I’m in a mental state where I’m worried if I take a week off, I just won’t re-start. Hoping to just work my way out of it. None of the races I’m training for are “A” races, I’ll just muddle through for now.

I went through a period the past year and a half where just about every race was a big PB. At some point you just have to plateau a bit and I think that’s where I am. Have to go back to enjoying it even when the times don’t keep dropping so much.

Let’s say, theoretically, that someone is having a calf issue. And it was fine for treadmill runs, but for 2 cross training events, their calf has basically locked up, and then tonight, it happened 15min into a 2hr event. And now they can’t fully flex their foot because said calf is clenched. Theoretically, of course. And none of the usual calf stretches are/feel like they are doing anything.
😬😬😬

(And PT requires a pcp visit, a referral, and then probably a 2 week wait to get on the schedule)
Do you have any recommended, well-regarded independent PTs in your area? My PT is a one-person office who isn’t covered by my insurance for some reason. She has appointments at pre-set fees (~$95 for an initial assessment and ~$45 for a follow-up/dry needling session). You don’t have to do the pcp or referral if you’re willing to pay out of pocket. Given the apparent severity of the issue with MW getting close, it might be worth it if you’ve got someone you trust who doesn’t require insurance.

November 2023: Activities: 21 Distance: 91.16 mi Time: 16:24:35
I said this last month, but it applies again: "This is the most I've run in a month ever!"
Interestingly, last month I ran 21 times and this month is the same number of sessions: My training plan is keeping me very consistent!

I'm ending the month with a little niggle in my left knee. I decided to be conservative and not run today. I had a floating "day off" built into my training and I really wanted to save it for some horrible weather day, but here I am using it on a beautiful day to rest up my knee. Uggg!

Looking forward to December, my training will peak at a 2 hour long run, and we have 41 days until we depart for Disneyland. From that stressful Valentine's Day getting registered until now.....How is that even possible?!?

Hoping to finish the year STRONG!

I didn't know we had hunters on this thread. I don't want to overshare or upset the nonhunters, but my November mileage was less than 25 because I spent 3 weeks at a game farm three hours into the bush north of Johannesburg.
A friend of mine is a part-owner of a medium sized farm of about 10,000 acres. The only thing I shot at were beer cans, but I tagged along with him his SIL, a guide and a tracker during multiple successful hunts.

I asked my friend if it would be OK to run on some of the bush roads / game trails and he vetoed the idea in a hurry. One... I would probably get lost and the farm is generally off the grid. Two...there were many animals I might encounter that may well charge and not run away e.g. 1,500 pound cape buffalos, or wildebeests. The basic rules are nobody leaves the immediate area around the house or lodge on foot alone, and you must carry a rifle.

The safari ride at Animal Kingdom will never be the same after seeing herds of zebras, giraffes, wildebeests, sables, other varieties of antelope etc. on a daily basis. The zebras and giraffes are not hunted on his farm and they seem to know that and will graze just feet off the single lane dirt road. There is also a large game reserve adjacent to the farm and we went on a proper safari ride. The highlight was spending 15 minutes parked about 30-40 feet away from two female lions and their "teenage" cubs. Half way through the 4-hour safari we stopped on a hilltop and the guide set out beer, wine, dried fruit, and African jerky on a table that folded down from the truck. Just an idea, Disney😉.

The other highlight was driving 45 minutes to the nearest bar to watch South Africa beat New Zealand in the rugby world cup final.

All in all, a wonderful trip!

Last edited:

Do you have any recommended, well-regarded independent PTs in your area?

I was kind of wondering the same thing. Or you might want to ask what your usual PT charges for out-of-pocket visits.

My insurance is quirky in that it will only cover PT if you've had surgery. Ah, I'm trying to be proactive and not let things get bad enough that I need surgery. Since my PT sees so many runners, he also has a lot of clients that have issues with their insurance paying and he's made his out-of-pocket fees are SUPER reasonable. The first time I saw him it was $75 for the assessment and $50 for each follow-up. Now that I'm an established client, it is the cost of my co-pay which would be $20. It might be worth it to ask.

As a former hunter (I gave it up after I had kids and decided that if I was going to spend hours outside, I'd rather be running) and a wife of a die-hard hunter, I need to know what your epic archery hunting season entailed!

DETAILS!

Another die-hard hunter who's hunting was derailed by all of the children. I'm lucky if I get out 3 or 4 times a year now.

I went waaaay down the rabbit hole on western state elk hunting last winter and DH and I may cough up the big money for a guided hunt in a few years, while we are still young and fit enough to handle mountains. But the money-hoarder in my wants to DIY it (if we could even manage to get an out-of-state tag.)
I hunted as a kid with my father but gave it up for a decade to put time into a new house. Ended up starting back and then going more once my daughter could go with me. Usually get a deer every couple years. This year was the exception with 2 deer in an hour on a Saturday - that run disappeared. The following Saturday went away as well when a 300 lb black bear came in (my first after years of chase) I can make up the miles, not much need to go out for shotgun season.

I used to get really bad wake-you-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night calf cramps. They would lock up and I couldn’t move. I started eating a pickle a day and the cramps went away. Not sure if you have the same issue but might be worth a try. 🤷‍♀️
I get that occasionally, worse if I’m dehydrated. Used to try massaging the knot out and take the immense pain that came with it. Then I was told something that I was surprised by and hesitant but next time I woke up tried it.
Stand up immediately.
As soon as that knot wakes me and starts letting me know it’s coming I throw off the blanket and stand, all the tightness disappears. Not sure why but it works great for myself, wife, and daughter.

I second the salt. My mom's been having leg cramps at night and I let her have some of my salt chews over Thanksgiving. She said that has helped, but she doesn't like the flavor I gave her :rotfl2:.

That sucks - and how annoying to have to go through all that to see a PT! Did you try a heating pad to see if that might relax it? And/or maybe some Tylenol or Advil? (Not a long-term solution, obviously, but temporarily functional would be a start.)
This is exactly what I was doing when I was typing it all out last night. I took advil at halftime off the 2nd game (the halftimes and between-game breaks did me 0 favors) which is probably why I got through the whole game. Came home and put a rice sock on it, and then ice. Probably going to be doing that a couple of times again today.
I love salt, so unfortunately for me, I don't think this is my issue. It's probably more of a 'I nearly doubled my training load this month, there are a lot of mini-sprints (I haven't done speedwork in ages), and I was lazy about warmups on Tuesday and last night.
Do you have any recommended, well-regarded independent PTs in your area? My PT is a one-person office who isn’t covered by my insurance for some reason. She has appointments at pre-set fees (~$95 for an initial assessment and ~$45 for a follow-up/dry needling session). You don’t have to do the pcp or referral if you’re willing to pay out of pocket. Given the apparent severity of the issue with MW getting close, it might be worth it if you’ve got someone you trust who doesn’t require insurance.

I was kind of wondering the same thing. Or you might want to ask what your usual PT charges for out-of-pocket visits.

My insurance is quirky in that it will only cover PT if you've had surgery. Ah, I'm trying to be proactive and not let things get bad enough that I need surgery. Since my PT sees so many runners, he also has a lot of clients that have issues with their insurance paying and he's made his out-of-pocket fees are SUPER reasonable. The first time I saw him it was $75 for the assessment and $50 for each follow-up. Now that I'm an established client, it is the cost of my co-pay which would be $20. It might be worth it to ask.
the PTs that aren't a 30+min drive away all work through sub-offices for the hospital, so their cash rates aren't great. This is something we looked into for DS2 earlier this year for his hip. And the really good PT is $200 for the initial visit, and $100/visit after.....and he's almost an hour drive away.

I did make an appointment with a massage therapist for next Wednesday, which is the earliest I can fit something into my schedule. I'm supposed to run 4mi today, 13 on Saturday, 3mi AND 3 games on Monday (with an orthodontist visit in the middle of the day for DS1), 4mi AND 3 games on Tuesday, 4mi AND 2 games on Wednesday (and be the parent-of-the-day at preschool in the morning) before I'll see her though. So things are going to have to get adjusted. And I'm going to be a little more aggressive with my golf ball, theragun, foam roller, etc.
I didn't know we had hunters on this thread. I don't want to overshare or upset the nonhunters, but my November mileage was less than 25 because I spent 3 weeks at a game farm three hours into the bush north of Johannesburg.
A friend of mine is a part-owner of a medium sized farm of about 10,000 acres. The only thing I shot at were beer cans, but I tagged along with him his SIL, a guide and a tracker during multiple successful hunts.

I asked my friend if it would be OK to run on some of the bush roads / game trails and he vetoed the idea in a hurry. One... I would probably get lost and the farm is generally off the grid. Two...there were many animals I might encounter that may well charge and not run away e.g. 1,500 pound cape buffalos, or wildebeests. The basic rules are nobody leaves the immediate area around the house or lodge on foot alone, and you must carry a rifle.

The safari ride at Animal Kingdom will never be the same after seeing herds of zebras, giraffes, wildebeests, sables, other varieties of antelope etc. on a daily basis. The zebras and giraffes are not hunted on his farm and they seem to know that and will graze just feet off the single lane dirt road. There is also a large game reserve adjacent to the farm and we went on a proper safari ride. The highlight was spending 15 minutes parked about 30-40 feet away from two female lions and their "teenage" cubs. Half way through the 4-hour safari we stopped on a hilltop and the guide set out beer, wine, dried fruit, and African jerky on a table that folded down from the truck. Just an idea, Disney😉.

The other highlight was driving 45 minutes to the nearest bar to watch South Africa beat New Zealand in the rugby world cup final.

All in all, a wonderful trip!
This sounds amazing! I had noticed that you kind of 'disappeared' and I'm glad it was for a fantastic trip.

November Totals

Running

Runs: 13
Miles: 50.22
Time: 8:37:02
Avg HR: 140
Avg Pace: 10:52

I ran my almost-PR half marathon on November 5, and it's all been downhill from there. :P I took a week off, but I've gotten back to running 3-4 times/week. The mileage is a lot lower (max of 4 miles) as I figure out where I want to go with running from here. Without Marathon Weekend for the first time since 2017 (not counting COVID-cancelled 2021), I don't have to force myself out into the cold Pennsylvania winter weather if I don't feel like it. It is so strange not training for something in November/December. A lot of these runs were on the treadmill, which I run at a slower pace because...I hate the treadmill!

Strength Training
Sessions: 9
Time: 4:19:12

I have been lifting three times/week since the half marathon, and it's going well. I just bought myself an adjustable kettlebell on Black Friday, so I'm going to try to transition into some kettlebell workouts instead of just dumbbells.

Walking
Walks: 8
Time: 2:35:42
Distance: 7.94

I have been walking more since I have cut back on running (except for the past week with its crappy, cold weather). I should try to walk more because my lab loves it.

😬😬😬

I was going to suggest either a massage therapist, but it sounds like you've already got an appointment.
Do they have any appointments on a time where you're supposed to be running? You'd miss a run, but it might be worth it if it means you're pain free.
Or alternatively, can you have someone stand in for you for some of the games? At least until you have things resolved.

I'd also book a follow up appointment now for just in case.

Does anybody else have a kind of "magic number" for minutes in a single run? Since my marathon, I've been keeping my weekday runs to 3 miles mostly, and I swear it's been too short for me to get any benefit. Hence my malaise since the race. I just feel like, for me, once a workout hits like the 40 minute mark, I feel more energized afterward, and I feel like I got more fitness benefit. Anything shorter than that is just a drain or not worth doing. My Garmin VO2 max is not going down or anything, but I know that's an imperfect measure and just the way I feel must count for something. I wonder if I should think about, when I'm taking down time in the future, running fewer days but longer workouts to make up for it.

Ooofff! November was a bad, bad month. Between week-long inspections at work the full first and last weeks of the month and a lingering medial hamstring/quad issue from my October race I really haven't been able to get back into any kind of groove. I finally got in to see the PT about my leg the week of Thanksgiving and she needled my quad to loosen things up. 100% don't recommend in the moment, but 100% recommend the outcome about 2 days later! My daughter chose the weekend of Thanksgiving to get married, further limiting the running for that week. Ultimately, this has been one of my worst months of the year and I'm getting worried about MW, as I'm only back to an 8 mile long run at this point (hoping to get to 10 this weekend) and have a follow-up appointment on Monday for additional pincushion training. The theme of this MW is definitely going to be "slow and survive". At any rate, here are the November numbers:

November Training Summary
Running Miles: 64.40 mi
Running Time: 12:42:57
Average Pace: 0:11:46/mi
Average HR: 144/min
YTD Mileage: 1,292.72 mi

Other
Walking: 0.00 mi
Rolling yearly running: 1,445.61 mi

@camaker Congrats on your daughter getting married, but how dare she screw up your running schedule! ;) Sort of glad both my kids chose to do a "family only, have dinner at a nice restaurant" kind of thing, although technically my son is getting married on Jan 5, which they just decided a couple of weeks ago, so there is still time for drama! Good thing I didn't have MW plans.

My November ended on a whimper, literally. I am still fighting a herniated disc issue which means nerve induced pain and the total inability to sleep horizontally....or vertically for that matter. Going to PT on Monday. Glad they have a "3-pack" for cash paying customers so I can see if there's anything to do other than the "time" cure. @Herding_Cats I don't know if it's MI or what, but like you I chose not to go to a doctor just to get a PT scrip. Hope your massage provides some relief

Oh yeah, and today is my 65th birthday. So any plans to go out for a nice dinner will have to wait til sometime TBD.

@camaker Congrats on your daughter getting married, but how dare she screw up your running schedule! ;) Sort of glad both my kids chose to do a "family only, have dinner at a nice restaurant" kind of thing, although technically my son is getting married on Jan 5, which they just decided a couple of weeks ago, so there is still time for drama! Good thing I didn't have MW plans.

My November ended on a whimper, literally. I am still fighting a herniated disc issue which means nerve induced pain and the total inability to sleep horizontally....or vertically for that matter. Going to PT on Monday. Glad they have a "3-pack" for cash paying customers so I can see if there's anything to do other than the "time" cure. @Herding_Cats I don't know if it's MI or what, but like you I chose not to go to a doctor just to get a PT scrip. Hope your massage provides some relief

Oh yeah, and today is my 65th birthday. So any plans to go out for a nice dinner will have to wait til sometime TBD.
Happy birthday! I hope that you feel better soon.

I'm hoping that someone who has trained using the Hanson's training plan can quell some fears and concerns that I have regarding my training and my half marathon "A" race. My race pace is 8:30. I am currently on Week 7 which is the third week of Tempo runs at race pace and they have been easy. In fact, I am confident that I can quite easily run at least six miles at race pace because I did so for a 10K time trial in order to set up my paces. The 10K went 8:05 (I am horrible going way too fast at the start), 8:23, 8:54 (my left shoe was too tight and was causing pain, so I had to stop to loosen it and then it was too loose so I had to stop again to tighten it more), 8:24, 8:22, 8:03.

Hence, I believe that I am already fit enough to run at 8:30 but I am concerned about jumping from running six miles to the entire 13.1 at the race pace. What were your experiences like going from six miles Tempo workouts (or ten for the marathon) to the entire race distance? At this point, I'm sticking with this plan but I have my concerns. I hope that someone can tell me that everything is going to be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter