• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread—2023

Anyone get into Chicago? Today is the lottery results. Sadly, I was not selected again. I have heard that Chicago has one of the easier to be selected lotteries. But not for me evidently, this makes my 4th try without getting selected. Kinda bummed, thought this was going to be the year. I will try again next year!
I entered as well but was not chosen. 🙁

I have had a Garmin Forerunner 235 for a number of years. My wife bought me a Forerunner 245 because my 235's HR feature seems to have become wildly inconsistent and because the watch resets if I plug it in to charge it before syncing the data to my phone twice (an odd quirk!).

I initially turned the gift down, saying I don't need it. But she is now insistent I keep it.

For those who have a Forerunner 245, what are its improvements over the 235?
In your case, the main improvement is that the 245 works...
;-) (I'll see myself out)
More importantly, it was a gift from the wife!

That said, here is one review: https://imperfectidealist.com/garmin-forerunner-235-vs-245/
Sounds like the 245 has a lot more battery life and might be a little more comfortable to wear, plus some other features that may or may not be of interest to you.

When my old 945 died, I replaced it with a 255 Music. Love it. Why the 255? I don't remember all the details, but think a middle road of cost and features.

I have had a Garmin Forerunner 235 for a number of years. My wife bought me a Forerunner 245 because my 235's HR feature seems to have become wildly inconsistent and because the watch resets if I plug it in to charge it before syncing the data to my phone twice (an odd quirk!).

I initially turned the gift down, saying I don't need it. But she is now insistent I keep it.

Here is DCRainmaker's review. It is of the music version but the rest should hold. He lets you know what is new:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/garmin-forerunner-245-music-gps-watch-in-depth-review.html

Anyone get into Chicago? Today is the lottery results. Sadly, I was not selected again. I have heard that Chicago has one of the easier to be selected lotteries. But not for me evidently, this makes my 4th try without getting selected. Kinda bummed, thought this was going to be the year. I will try again next year!
Heard they had over 100,000 lottery entrants this year. That’s approaching London territory.

Heard they had over 100,000 lottery entrants this year. That’s approaching London territory.

Yep, I didn't enter but this makes sense to me. I think it's an anniversary year PLUS the world record was broken there this year, so next year was gonna be tough.

I entered Berlin, which is usually the easiest international major, but didn't get in. Their email said they also had a record number of entrants. Also an anniversary next year (50th).

Based on these pics, I would love to run through World Celebration in the dark. Beginning of a race, end of a race, I don’t really care.
I’m just back from opening day/night (and the next night, for good measure!) and the gardens are WONDERFUL!!! I sat on a bench and soaked it all in for an hour the other evening. Running through it would be difficult: it’s set up as a bunch of smaller spaces connected through the central point and just does not set up a good way to funnel a bunch of people moving quickly through - it really does encourage a slow stroll and sitting a spell. I’m not ruling it out entirely, but I think they’d route us past it, not through it, TBH.

I’m just back from opening day/night (and the next night, for good measure!) and the gardens are WONDERFUL!!! I sat on a bench and soaked it all in for an hour the other evening. Running through it would be difficult: it’s set up as a bunch of smaller spaces connected through the central point and just does not set up a good way to funnel a bunch of people moving quickly through - it really does encourage a slow stroll and sitting a spell. I’m not ruling it out entirely, but I think they’d route us past it, not through it, TBH.
Sad! (as far as running through) but Yay! (as far as being beautiful)

Went back to running this week after having taken a few days off from running because of COVID... This time it seems that COVID hasn't really impacted my running and have run a few 5ks this week, which is actually more than I was doing before COVID!

Very glad about this as the last time I had COVID last year it really derailed my running. I lost so much stamina, and because I wasn't running regularly I lost even more stamina. By the time I went back to running in December/January a year ago I couldn't even run a mile... It's been a whole long year to build back up to comfortably running 5ks at a reasonable speed!

Also, really glad I didn't sign up for my local major race event (marathon/half marathon/10k/etc races) as that turned out to be the weekend I was fully COVID symptomatic! I had been tempted to sign up but was put off by the cost of race entry and the fact that they were charging for bag deposit this year... So just as well I didn't sign up in the end!

Just need to keep this up now especially since Princess weekend is just 2.5 months away!

I agree - It didn’t seem like running through it would work, or be safe. I was there opening day, too. I only got to see it during the daytime because we had CP and the new fireworks at night. The pictures of nighttime looked much better than day. I’m looking forward to seeing it lit up at night. It’ll be interesting to see how they do decide to route us through.

Darn. I didn't know the Cherry Blossoms a) had a lottery or b) that said lottery was open 😢

But wait! The lottery hasn't closed. *Jeopardy music plays* Should I? Yeah, I did! :D If I'm meant to run a 10 miler next year, I'll be selected. If not, then I'll run a 10 miler the year after. Woop woop!
That is a great race. I was set to run it in 2020 and got in through the lottery but it was delayed to 2022. I will definitely be doing it again some day. Good luck on the lottery

I agree - It didn’t seem like running through it would work, or be safe. I was there opening day, too. I only got to see it during the daytime because we had CP and the new fireworks at night. The pictures of nighttime looked much better than day. I’m looking forward to seeing it lit up at night. It’ll be interesting to see how they do decide to route us through.
It is absolutely amazing at night! Quintessential old-school EPCOT, but also modern and current. Just having soooo much space to sit was fantastic on its own, but then add the music and lights and it’s a pretty great way to spend an hour in the evening.

I decided to keep the Forerunner 245 and just took my first walk with it. The step count seems a little high. But it is more comfortable and has more options. I'll be doing my first run with it tomorrow.

Does anyone with the Forerunner 245 have any comments about the general accuracy of its step count, especially compared to the Forerunner 235?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter