The Running Thread - 2018

People who wear actual, dedicated running sunglasses: (I know people have recently mentioned both Goodr and Knockaround, but I'm open to other affordable options)
How's the visibility when the sun is directly in your eyes?
I'm perfectly happy with my sunglasses, except that I run basically directly into the sun on a semi-busy very winding road, and it's hard to see if there are cars coming at me. So while I'm not particularly looking for new sunglasses, if I can find ones that solve the visibility issue, it might be worth it.
I don't wear my Goodrs for running because they're too big to fit under a hat/visor. I wear sport sunglasses I got cheap form Target - I want to say Ironman or C9 brand. I always wear a hat/visor, too, which mostly keeps the sun from directly hitting my eyes. Occasionally, the sunset will line up with my run and be right in my eyes - I can't stare it down for any length of time, but I can see well enough to be aware of a car, pedestrians, etc.

I always look at my percentage/place on a run. I usually fall somewhere in the middle of the pack. In the Remarkable River 10k on Sunday, I placed 123/246 overall (50%), 64/159 females (40.3%), 3/8 F60-64 (37.5%). So I'm doing ok for my age, although I'll never be "fast." On halfs and fulls I usually fall a little further behind.

Same here. I track my percentile finishes next to my PRs. It helps normalize one race to the next adjusting if one race has more challenging conditions or terrain (again assuming similar running populations). I throw out Disney races because they are a different kind of race that aren't like the others. Best overall was Brat Fest 5k last year at top 4%. Best Gender was Lakefront Marathon (8.1%) and Best AG was Lakefront Marathon (12.1%). I've got a feeling all three will fall this weekend where I'm aiming for a Top 2 finish and AG 1st place.

ATTQOTD: Yes to sunscreen, always! Well, okay, not for runs in the dark. But yes, for any and every daylight run, no matter the time of day. 55 SPF on all exposed skin. And I reapply with a little stick sunscreen on runs longer than 90 minutes. I didn't used to be so vigilant, but 1. I'm "of a certain age" and see the damage from too much tanning in my youth, 2. I really do not look great with much tan, and 3. there are finally sunscreens in higher SPFs my skin will tolerate without breaking out in a rash - that wasn't the case for a long, long time.

People who wear actual, dedicated running sunglasses: (I know people have recently mentioned both Goodr and Knockaround, but I'm open to other affordable options)

Not sure if this qualifies as 'actual, dedicated running' sunglasses.

I use cheap sunglasses from either Target or Walmart. I think the current pair is Foster Grant. The thing I always go for is polarized lenses. That seems to make a big different when looking into the sun.

Unfortunately, polarization means you have to spend $15 rather than $10!

I'm perfectly happy with my sunglasses, except that I run basically directly into the sun on a semi-busy very winding road, and it's hard to see if there are cars coming at me. So while I'm not particularly looking for new sunglasses, if I can find ones that solve the visibility issue, it might be worth it.
I got some Oakley RPM Squared sunglasses a couple years ago when they were on a really good sale at Backcountry.com and I have not had a problem with visibility. There are a lot of other lenses that I could get for them, too, although I just have the Violet Iridium lenses that they came with (I got the white frames and it seems like the frame color is coordinated with the color of lenses you get to start with :) ). I am not really sure what those are supposed to be good for but I like the color of them. :D

ATTQOTD: Yes if it is later than 10am and I'm running in direct sun. I try to stay on shaded trails and run early during the summer. The sun and I are not the best of friends. I don't tan at all. I just turn purple then peel.

I recently purchased Knockarounds (thanks @KSellers88 !) and have been really happy with them. I think the huge difference is in the polarization- I notice that I squint significantly less than when wearing non-polarized. So if your current sunglasses are polarized, you probably won't notice a big difference.

Running randoms....

-How comfortable is everyone running alone in unfamiliar cities? I'll be on a work trip in November, and found what looks to be a great route in the city where I'll be(right along the river). But I know zilch about the city, so I'm unsure how safe and runner-friendly it is. It's Milwaukee, so maybe @rteetz can chime in.

I've done this in several new-to-me cities. I will generally plan out a route starting from my hotel, so hopefully I am staying in a reasonably safe area. As I go, I generally just keep my eyes open about the conditions around me - are things getting run down, more trash, graffitti, etc.? The other thing I may do is look up typical running/scenic/tourist areas, like trails in a park or along a lake or river. Those are usually reasonably populated. Again, use common sense. You could also mention your route to someone you know who is local and see if they react in horror to your plans. :)

I was in Milwaukee last October. I ran parts of the Riverwalk before sunrise several days with no problems. Not the most scenic when it's still dark. That was probably the biggest challenge - figuring out where the official walk went as it went across streets and around restaurants, etc. There were a few homeless folks camped out on parts of it, but I never had any concerns.

QOTD: Summer running topic: Do you use sunscreen to protect your skin during your runs in the summer?

ATTQOTD: I will apply if my run will last past 8:30 AM or start before 5:30 PM. I have already had 2 spots of skin cancer removed and probably have additional spots I need to get checked out soon that are of some concern. I burn easily so I don't mess around with it.

ATTQOTD: I have a similar strategy, but it's running after 10am or before 4pm. Also, I often don't use sunscreen at all from October to mid-March (the winter half of the year where I am) - depending on just how long I'll be out and how sunny it is. I really should wear it more, because I'm also fair-skinned, but it is such a pain in the butt to put on and I feel so gross with it on.

I did find what I think may be my optimal combination of sunscreens:
  • Z Blok for my face. I like this for my face because it is absolutely the only sunscreen I've found that doesn't sting my eyes. Maybe because it's zinc-based? But I don't like it for the rest of my body because it makes my skin feel gross and greasy and once I start sweating, I look like I'm dripping milk.
  • Endurance Shield for the rest of me. This is the least-gross-feeling sunscreen that I've found. But it still makes my eyes sting when I wear it on my face, even on a cool day when I'm not sweating a lot.
Since I am fair-skinned, I used at least SPF 30 and prefer more like 40 or 50. From comparison to my darker-skinned husband, the SPF 8 or 20, etc, that he uses is much less gross-feeling for even everyday brands like Banana Boat. I think it must be harder to make higher-SPF sunscreens be more skin-pleasing. I could also be super-picky. :)

ATTQOTD: Yes to sunscreen if it's after 10AM, and I'll switch from a visor to a hat. If I run in the afternoon, I have a 'French Foreign Legion' hat to provide more coverage.

I try to be cautious: I have a big white scar on my forearm from surgery to remove a skin cancer. The dermatologist said it was as close to melanoma as you can get without being melanoma. And this was with annual screenings.

...where I'm aiming for a Top 2 finish and AG 1st place.

Is this the bobble-head fireman race?

Same here. I track my percentile finishes next to my PRs. It helps normalize one race to the next adjusting if one race has more challenging conditions or terrain (again assuming similar running populations). I throw out Disney races because they are a different kind of race that aren't like the others. Best overall was Brat Fest 5k last year at top 4%. Best Gender was Lakefront Marathon (8.1%) and Best AG was Lakefront Marathon (12.1%). I've got a feeling all three will fall this weekend where I'm aiming for a Top 2 finish and AG 1st place.
When the results are posted in their final states, the percentile placement is always what I look at, right after confirming whether I beat a PR.

QOTD: Summer running topic: Do you use sunscreen to protect your skin during your runs in the summer?
ATTQOTD: I do not use sunscreen at all when running even when running mid day in direct sunlight. I almost never wear sunscreen unless I know I'll been in the sun for an extended period with no potential shade breaks (like at the beach). I have darker (Sicilian) skin and I tan easily. If I do burn, it is usually minor and then turns to tan within a day or two. While I know all the sun I have absorbed over the years will eventually catch up with me, I have heard there is also research saying that the chemicals in the sunscreen itself is just as bad for your skin if not worse. So who knows. In the meantime, I gonna enjoy my summer tan. :)

I haven't been using sunscreen so far, but I should. I used to be very very good about it a few years ago when I lived in a more walkable city and would walk everywhere I wanted to go on the weekends--I always put on sunscreen before I headed out. I remember that once I got in the habit it wasn't a big deal; I'm just not in the habit anymore. Also thinking about buying a visor...partly to protect my face, but then also because the ideas I've had for runDisney costumes usually involve modified visors with ears/crowns/what-have-you attached and I want to be used to running with one on. :laughing:

Also I should probably either not wear my half-mesh racerback top on longer runs or get some spray sunscreen for the small of my back. And my shoulders. And my everything that's under mesh. I really like that top, but it's literally the worst for sun protection.

ATTQOTD: I have a similar strategy, but it's running after 10am or before 4pm. Also, I often don't use sunscreen at all from October to mid-March (the winter half of the year where I am) - depending on just how long I'll be out and how sunny it is.
Same approach/schedule for sunscreen here.

I am more delinquent when comes to wearing sunglasses.

The only thing that I find difficult with sunscreen is to properly remove it at the end of the day. It ends up clogging my pores when I wear some for extended period of time (ex a week beach vacation).

How comfortable is everyone running alone in unfamiliar cities? I'll be on a work trip in November, and found what looks to be a great route in the city where I'll be(right along the river). But I know zilch about the city, so I'm unsure how safe and runner-friendly it is.
Like you, I do a bit of research online if I can. Then, I ask the hotel if they can suggest a path. Running stores or visitors’ centres have also been useful in helping to find safe running paths. The weirdest I’ve had was: Go right because there are bears on the left :scared:

The post race face painting of @rteetz and @roxymama Dopey run are definitely NOT optional! The only real question regarding this matter is guessing projected finish time and what cool paint job the young man will get. Maybe my 4 year old who loves Disney princess can help out lol. I'm a little out of the loop on this topic, so when its decided when and where the face painting is going to take place, please let me know as I would like to witness to such greatness!

I'm realizing that I need to make the time to come on here more often because I miss out on things getting out of hand. And the correct answer was PANDA FACE. However that all hinges on me running dopey which I just don't know if that's gonna happen folks. But...panda!!

My ATTQOTD is that I am so fair skinned that I have sunscreen built into my makeup routine, so it for sure is built into my go for a run routine whenever possible. I prefer the spray kind for quickness, except for my face I use lotion.

And off topic. This is coming to a mall near me this weekend and I 100% want to go after my morning run.

ORLAND PARK, IL -- Attention Woody and Buzz Lightyear fans! The Toy Story Land nationwide tour is coming to Orland Square Mall this Friday and Saturday, June 15 and June 16. Kiddos and their parents will have the chance to explore Andy's toy-filled backyard. The two-day only event runs from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.

The lower level by J.C. Penney in Orland Square Mall will be getting a makeover offering fans the chance to get a sneak peek of Toy Story Land concept art, hop in an interactive photo booth and receive giveaways. BoxLunch will also be offering exclusive Toy Story merchandise throughout the two-day event.

The Toy Story Land Mall Tour coincides with the upcoming opening of Toy Story Land in Disney's Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World Resort.

ATTQOTD: I live in near fear of the mid December cold that always seems to come when I was training for Star Wars Light Side. This year it will come during marathon training. So this time I'll take the summer cold, although those are always more miserable for me.

As for sunscreen, if I don't wear it when I'm outside continuously for more than say 20 minutes, I will be in tremendous pain and very, very red. So, I always make sure to wear it.

ATTQOTD: I had second degree burns as a child after spending an entire overcast day at water park and being slightly loose with truth when my mom asked if I was wearing sunscreen (because, you know, time putting on sunscreen was time not on a water slide). I spent an entire week with my shoulders and almost my entire back covered in blisters and barely able to move or sleep (not to mention very painful, but not quite as extensive, burns on my face, neck, arms and legs). Since then my goal is to maintain a beautiful Edward Scissorhands-esque complexion.
I have a feeling this is how my daughter is going to learn the importance of using sunscreen. Except she might be lucky enough to get my skin, where a burn is never severe and last 2 days and turns into a tan.

I have darker (Sicilian) skin and I tan easily. If I do burn, it is usually minor and then turns to tan within a day or two.
HI TWIN. I am only 1/2 Italian (I'll let you know the exact numbers for sure when I get my 23 and Me back, lol), but I rarely burn and it turns into a great tan and I love my skin so much for that.

And make sure to tell Buzz and Woody that you're running Dopey.
No, we need to tell Buzz and Woody to tell @roxymama that she is running Dopey!

ATTQOTD: I sometimes remember to put on my SPF 4 tanning oil spray before long runs on the weekend so I can get my summer tan faster. And if I know it's going to be hot and I might ditch my tank top, I put SPF 30 on my belly and back because those places don't see the sun nearly as much as my arms and legs. Otherwise, nope.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter