The Running Thread - 2018

Do it! Do it! My favorite thing about WDW at the holidays is seeing it as Halloween on 10/31 and Christmas on 11/1. Disneyland doesn't do a turn around that quick. I was only going to do it in 2019 if it fell on this weekend!
I know I was hoping to catch some Halloween but it’s already Christmas today. I’ve never seen Halloween at WDW.

ATTQOTD: I am really, really bad at following through on actually making a costume and usually just wear whatever I have on hand (see avatar picture, haha). But I have full intention of following through on my costumes for Marathon weekend. As for other races, last year a made a Turkey outfit for a Turkey trot, it wasn't that good though. I like to at least color coordinate with the race.

I also appreciate the people who go ALL OUT on costumes, like @roxymama said. Let's do a bonus question of what the best costume is you have seen at a race. My first Disney race I saw a person dressed up like Kronk carrying Yzma on him and it was the best thing I have ever seen.

giphy.gif

A close second would be the couple who ran as Coast to Coast medals during the last Disneyland race.

QOTD: Todays question comes from a fellow poster of this thread. The question reads "I am curious about how many dress up in costume for Disney races, do they wear the costume more than once, do they ever dress up for any other races during the year."
More people dress up at Disney than any other race I've attended. My gut tells me about 1/3 are in costume or Disney bounding and 1/3 are in a Disney themed running outfit. Then that leaves the rest that are in regular running clothes. This varies quite a bit based on the corral so I wouldn't be surprised if someone had a different experience. I've found the faster corrals generally have fewer costumes.

I've never gone full costume. I've worn skirts, rocket packs and a TMNT shirt at a variety of races. Last year, I made a giant bow for the Disney Marathon the night before our flight. I didn't think through how to secure it properly and it fell off pretty early. For races, my main objective is to be comfortable but there are plenty of others who have figured out how to do that in costume.

In other news, did you all see the Venice Marathon? My husband is the one who told me about it and I felt so bad for all those runners. He didn't think it was so bad and would have been a unique experience. He's certainly right about that, I'm just not sure the final miles of a marathon are where I want to experience something unique.

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/amp24402905/venice-marathon-flooding/

QOTD: Todays question comes from a fellow poster of this thread. The question reads "I am curious about how many dress up in costume for Disney races, do they wear the costume more than once, do they ever dress up for any other races during the year."

I ran princess 10K in a tutu and shirt that matched a friend. The tutu was terrible and I hiked it up around my rib cage to keep it from being sucked into my thighs. I did not follow the 'nothing new on race day' adage and I will never run in a tutu again. I am not sure if it was my idea or friends, but matching shirts were my assignment and tutus were hers and they were not as expected for either of us.
I did question if we were matching again at the half in January, but was clear, I'm not wearing anything constructed the night before the run.
I am totally on board with disney bounding at Disney or really anywhere if I can use regualar-ish running shorts and a non-cotton shirt.

Re: Venice-
No! I did see record rainfall, but the part of the marathon did not make the local news. I whined about a flooded 10K, I cannot imagine a flooded marathon.

ATTQOTD: I didn’t go all out for my first rD race and I’m not planning to for W&D this weekend but I am still in the theme-ish of the weekend. For Marathon Weekend, I do have more costumey costumes but they still are built from running clothes so it will be comfortable.

ATTQOTD: I do run in "costumes" for some races, but I make my "costumes" out of running clothes, because comfort trumps all else for me. I don't seem to do much costuming for WDW Marathon Wkdn because life is hectic leading up to it, and weather is so unpredictable. I've alwyas done something fun for PHM races, and always for Star Wars. I've re-purposed some costume pieces, but haven't used the exact same costume twice... yet. I'm running out of ideas for SW, though, and may start re-wearing some of those.

ATTQOTD: No costumes for me, except a local 5K I do in a kilt every year.

I did see a guy with a great Disney bounding Donald during the half that got a lot of attention. If I ever did a costume, that would probably be it.

The tutu was terrible and I hiked it up around my rib cage to keep it from being sucked into my thighs.
I soon found out why people had the front of their tutus cut so high up. I wore a tutu ONE time and it annoyed me so much. I don't care how cute I looked.

ATTQOTD: I've never dressed up for any race. This weekend is my first rD experience and I am already a little overwhelmed so I'm glad I didnt stress about a costume. Next year, maybe a costume.

I soon found out why people had the front of their tutus cut so high up. I wore a tutu ONE time and it annoyed me so much. I don't care how cute I looked.
The sweat and 'oh my! that is going to leave a mark!' face as a result of the tutu eliminated any chance of it looking cute. I fully believe I looked worse off for wearing it!

ATTQOTD: So, I went out and bought a ton of full-sized candy bars for ToTers tonight ... and as soon as I got home, it started pouring rain and hasn't really stopped.

Looks like I'm going to be living off of Reese's Cups for the next two weeks.
Last night as my nephews were happily sharing their haul for the evening, the adults were removing all Reese's and Butterfingers from the youngest's bucket since he's still too little to try peanuts in case of peanut allergies. It was a good night for us.

My training, if you want to call it that for marathon weekend is a train wreck. It seems every week something comes up, and I just cant get it together. This week is more of the same. DD is running a fever again :( and all of our people are out of town. Neither of us can miss work this week as we are both working on big projects, so we are praying for a miracle over night that shes feeling better. I am also still sick and have a ton of things to do to prepare for Saturday.
Hoping everyone gets better.

Anyway it all makes me feel like not participating in a running message board right now. I don't know if that's a typical feeling or not (and I don't know if I'm even doing a good job of explaining how I'm feeling), but there it is. Very bummed out running-wise right now. Thanks for reading and I'm glad to get this off my chest a bit...
Hang in there. While I haven't had a lot of injury problems, I know how it feels to be disappointed about something that cannot happen and not feeling like participating in things related to that.

I APPRECIATE AND LOVE how many people dress up at disney races. It helps the miles go by (and passes time in the corrals) to people watch and it's fun when spectating to yell out character names enthusiastically at people.
I had a lot of fun last year when people read the back of my Jedi Knight Prince Phillip cape that read "Once Upon a Dream In a Galaxy Far, Far Away. . . ." and realized what the costume was.

ATTQOTD: I do run in "costumes" for some races, but I make my "costumes" out of running clothes, because comfort trumps all else for me. I don't seem to do much costuming for WDW Marathon Wkdn because life is hectic leading up to it, and weather is so unpredictable. I've alwyas done something fun for PHM races, and always for Star Wars. I've re-purposed some costume pieces, but haven't used the exact same costume twice... yet. I'm running out of ideas for SW, though, and may start re-wearing some of those.
This is mostly me. I choose tech shirts in character colors (black or gray for Luke Skywalker depending on the movie) or tech running shirts (Darth Vader, Batman) that clearly suggest the character. I'll also carry a lightsaber for Star Wars races. I might carry a lightsaber for marathon weekend, but I want to get a shorter hilt than the one I used for Dark Side as that one started to annoy me during the races.

ATTQOTD: I don't generally dress in costume for Disney races, or any other races for that matter. I'm just boring that way.

October Running Summary
October was a down month for me, volume-wise, but that was primarily due to running my goal race, the Chicago Marathon, followed by a 200 mile relay race two weeks later. Throw in a week of no-running recovery after each race and it eats up a lot of training volume. At the same time, it means that more than half of my monthly total was part of racing (26.2 & 22.1). So even though the volume was down, the intensity was much higher than normal and I'm still feeling it in my knees and calves as I try to get training ramped back up to my normal rhythm. Also, as a consequence of the races my biking dropped to 0 for the month. Hopefully I'll get that re-established shortly. Here are the specifics:

Running Distance: 83.1 miles
Running Duration: 14:10:44
Average Pace: 10:32/mile
Average heart rate: 150 bpm

I've been away from the board for a while. I have a knee injury that's probably just muscular (quad above the knee) but it's not going away and my physical therapist doesn't want me running. I'm really bummed out about it and coming here is actually tough since I don't feel like a runner at all at the moment. I had taken 2 weeks off, did the physical therapy exercises and felt better. Then I did a short and slow run and the pain came right back. Now I'm off my feet again and I'mreally worried that my injury is going to be more long term. Anyway it all makes me feel like not participating in a running message board right now. I don't know if that's a typical feeling or not (and I don't know if I'm even doing a good job of explaining how I'm feeling), but there it is. Very bummed out running-wise right now. Thanks for reading and I'm glad to get this off my chest a bit...

I know just how you feel. It's almost like "I am not worthy". And also, you get jealous reading other's wonderful training and race accomplishments. Sorry about your injury. I am nursing a quad strain myself and 2 weeks of light running has not been enough to fix it. And I am reaching a point where I should probably stop running, but am not willing to yet. You, at least, have engaged help to treat it, so good for that. I hope it starts healing sooner rather than later. Hang in there.

ATTQOTD: While I like seeing people dressed up for races, actually dressing up isn’t for me.

Oct. running:
79.34 miles
10:52 pace

October was below what I was aiming for because I got sick in two separate occasions. But with my first marathon coming up (the Philadelphia Marathon) I figured rsting up & get healthy was better than trying to run through it.

ATTQOTD: We have dressed up for DL Half and for the Wicked 10k that is run Halloween weekend each year. Lots of great costumes at both events.
All other events I am wearing my running costume.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter