The Running Thread - 2019

Do the 12+ hours of Olympic coverage I watch every day no matter if it is summer/winter Olympics being held?

I seriously love them. If I'm at home and it's the Olympics, they're on the TV.

I also like golf, so I could watch that all day as well, especially Sundays when it's a major.

This is so me!! The Olympics Channel has been the greatest thing to come along in years.

ATTQOTD: Game 3 of last year’s World Series is the longest I remember. 7 hours and 20 minutes, 18 innings, the Dodgers doing everything possible to give away the game and finally winning it on a home run. I remember starting it in a sports bar down the street and left after 9 innings and watching the rest at home.

Yeah, that would be mine as well. A bit tense, given that I'm a Red Sox fan and my wife's a Dodgers fan.

ATTQOTD: October 4, 2014, Giants vs. Nationals playoff game that went 18 innings, 6 hours 23 minutes. That is back when the Giants were still relevant (actually went on and won the World Series that year) so I stayed up and watched the whole thing. Giants won when Brandon Belt hit a HR in the top of the 18th and Nats didn't score in the bottom of the inning. Giants had another 18 inning game this year on April 13th against the Rockies. Giants won with a walk off RBI single. I did not stay up for that one, lol. When Giants play at home an evening game doesn't even start till 8:45 pm my time so I can't stay up 6 hours beyond that and function the next day at work. Heck, I can't even stay up for a regular 9 inning game and get up for work the next day. I watch a few innings, DVR the rest, then watch it the next day if we win. This year I haven't had to watch many of my DVR'd games. :sad2:

This would be my longest event as well!

Running clothing - When needed. I have so many running tops its hard to justify buying new ones just because I like them. My capri's I've had forever and they're still going strong. For longer runs I like sparkle skirts and its about time I bought a new one.

Balance - Its a struggle and I often lose at it. This winter/spring I have not been in training mode so the family time hasn't been sacrificed at all. Once Dopey training officially begins thats going to be my priority and I'm sure I'll miss out on some family things I didn't want to miss out on. I'll try to minimize this and plan around it but its not always possible.

The last 24 hours of baseball have been crazy for LSU. Losing a 17 inning game that ended at 3:00 AM and then having to play today at 1:00 PM and winning the way did has to be the strangest low and high ever lol. I've never seen anything like it before and to see both things in a short time frame is crazy. I am also crazy tired now. I may be asleep before the baby tonight.

The last 24 hours of baseball have been crazy for LSU. Losing a 17 inning game that ended at 3:00 AM and then having to play today at 1:00 PM and winning the way did has to be the strangest low and high ever lol. I've never seen anything like it before and to see both things in a short time frame is crazy. I am also crazy tired now. I may be asleep before the baby tonight.
I think you and I may be the only ones on this thread who care about college baseball. lol. UConn just won to advance to the semis of the AAC tourney and will get 2 shots at beating #5 ECU to advance to the finals on Sunday. So, now with a strong finish, UConn is a lock at a 2 seed in the tourney and has an extremely long shot chance at hosting if they can sweep the next 2 games and win the AAC.

Last edited:

How many of you have been longing for a race medal that features a hot dog playing a saxophone....well RnR Chicago came through this year

View attachment 402630

I mean at least it’s not yet another bean or Ferris wheel...but....what????

Also I want dat pizza medal
If @rteetz wasn't coming to Vegas that weekend for his b-day I would be flying to Chicago to run a 5k for a pizza medal.

Longest sporting event has to be the 2006 Orange Bowl - Penn State vs Florida State.

We sat in the end zone in the row behind the blue band. Got to see the winning play up close!

Game went into 3 OTs, but Penn State won 26-23!!! Made the very early wake-up the next morning to road trip back to PA from Miami worth it!!

A few missed days...
Weather is near perfect these days - 60s, the rain has gone-ish, just a pollen bomb.

I buy new clothes only occasionally at this point - mostly leggings and sports bras, seasonally. Most shirts are race shirts!

I am having a hard time choosing one of these three races for DD and I. We will be arriving in San Francisco from the East Coast the day before so we will have no problem waking up early. We will want to keep some of DD’s legs to tour the city afterwards.

Has anyone ran one of these (the 10k is new) at the beginning of August? Golden Gate 10K, UjENA 5K and DOUBLE 8K (5K+3K)

6:00am - 7:30 Same Day Packet Pick Up
8:00am - First Double 8K - 5k leg
8:00am - Golden Gate 10k start
9:15am - Second Double 8K - 3k leg
9:15am - UjENA 5k start

Course wise, they are pretty equivalent. Both the 8k and 10k have some redundant parts.

When considering packet pickup, the 10k is the least time consuming... But I am afraid DD’s legs will be tired.

I do not know what each medal looks like.

QOTD: So perhaps not running related question today... What is the longest sporting event you have watched either live or TV?

ATTQOTD: My first thought was maybe a marathon, but those things are won in 2:10 or less these days. So then I thought, well the LSU V/S TA&M football game that went into 8 OT's this past season has to be up there. (Could be wrong on the amount of OT's). Then last night happened. A LSU baseball game started at 8:20 PM. No rain delay or any other weather type delay... 17 innings later I found myself up at 3:00 AM!!! BTW, in both the baseball and football games my team lost :(
Waking up at 6:00 AM for work today, this is going to be a looonnnngggggg day. :surfweb:

See below.

Me! I finally gave up trying to use the ipad and am logging in after I've finished whatever I need to do on my computer. I've tried everything short of returning the iPad to factory settings.

USS/ISI swim meets at a teenager. Got to sit through the morning session as a sibling was competing, and then swam in the afternoon session and again with a distance event in the evening.

5ey are doing updates to the site this weekend, supposedly making it more mobile friendly. I am hoping these type of improvements will be part of it. So if anyone is trying to get on this weekend, or sees anything weird with the site in the next few days you will know why.

ATTQOTD: Game 3 of last year’s World Series is the longest I remember. 7 hours and 20 minutes, 18 innings, the Dodgers doing everything possible to give away the game and finally winning it on a home run. I remember starting it in a sports bar down the street and left after 9 innings and watching the rest at home.

I was thinking this must be it for me too. I was on my to DL for this game and we got delayed so I saw the start of it in the airport and watched the rest on the flight.

How many of you have been longing for a race medal that features a hot dog playing a saxophone....well RnR Chicago came through this year

View attachment 402630

I mean at least it’s not yet another bean or Ferris wheel...but....what????

Also I want dat pizza medal

They are recognizable as hot dogs because of the lack of ketchup. Chicago knows what’s up. :figment: (I’m just having a little trouble identifying the celery salt)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter