The Running Thread - 2019

congrats @camaker!

January 2019 was full of highs and lows. High point was finishing Dopey and low point of dealing with my stupid hip. I'm going for a MRI on Wednesday & see the sports ortho on Friday for the results. I feel pretty defeated right now and I'm going bonkers with the inactivity and driving my DH crazy. I'm either not running, struggling through running and cutting it short or feeling fantastic and crushing my run. My costume for the Princess Half came in the mail and I can't even get excited about it.

January 2019 Totals
74.72 miles

it's already next month and I am working hard to improve. I have some time set aside Sunday at Baseline before watching the game at night, so i feel good about how the month will shape up, despite it being the shortest month. And training for Princess and parking lot beers after. But March is where its going to happen, with Best Damn Race Orlando on the 2nd, and unlimited beers afterwards.

I was supposed to run the Best Damn 10K. I haven't signed up yet though. Waiting on my ortho appt on Friday. Worst case scenario is walking the 5k with a neighbor just for the food and beer!

ATTQOTD: I have lived in New England my entire life so yes, I watched. :) I enjoyed the hearty booing that Goodell got when presenting the trophy. The halftime show was not that great, but I wasn't expecting much after so many artists turned it down over Kap. I like Maroon 5, but they didn't sound that great live to me.

ATTQOTD part 2: re: Super Bowl commercials... am I the only one one on the planet who shouted, "TOYOTA'S BRINGING BACK THE SUPRA?!?!?!!" :rotfl: I was pretty jazzed.

YES! Why did I forget that already??? I told DH we're going to need a "just for fun" car and was quickly told no...

The Audi one where the grandfather gave him the futuristic car? That was actually pretty good.

Yep, that was the one. I was so invested in the whole electric aspect of it, the ending took me by surprise. But, I have an Audi and really love it, so I'm looking forward to electric options in the future!

ATTQOTD: Duh. Forgot to answer for today! Yes, I watched the game. Yes, I was hoping the Patriots would win. I lived the first 37 years of my life in New England! It was so freaking boring though. I think I dozed off for a little while in the 3rd quarter.

I don’t know if I’ll go for the 100k or not. I’m debating whether to do the Badwater Cape Fear 50k, but that Blackbeard’s Revenge 100k option a couple of weeks later might be tempting...

Have you ever considered a time-based ultra? (Time-based as in "however many laps you can cover in XX hrs). I did an 8 hour race back in 2016, but have been thinking about trying another, longer one sometime this spring after Boston but before I begin ramping up for fall marathons. It's an interesting format because there's no real pressure to run a specific number of miles, other than whatever pressure you put on yourself. There's a May 12hr/24hr event in Prince William Forest Park in Triangle, VA, coming up. That's pretty close to you, right? Just sayin'... :D

I watched most of it. Not a great game by any measure, but there was some all time great coaching on display. Best part was watching Drogon torch the Bud Knight. Maybe now we'll be done with the Dilly Dilly commercials.

I would have preferred Viserion. Would have provided more insight into the chemical composition of ice flame.

ATTQOTD: Duh. Forgot to answer for today! Yes, I watched the game. Yes, I was hoping the Patriots would win. I lived the first 37 years of my life in New England! It was so freaking boring though. I think I dozed off for a little while in the 3rd quarter.
I was at some dog agility seminars from 9-5 on Sat and Sun and it was an hour drive away, so I'd gotten up pretty early to drive there. I got home just after the kickoff... yeah I slept through pretty much just after the halftime show finished and the analysts started talking about the second half until a couple minutes before the Pats scored the TD. :o At least I saw the exciting parts!

I don’t have a lot of runners in my every day life,
First off, major congratulations on the 50 miler. That's great. Second, I just want to echo your sentiments here. I have friends and family that support me and cheer for me, but this community really helps me work through training challenges. I never would have signed up for the marathon if not for this community and I know that my marathon experience would have been far worse without the things that so many people here taught me about success and failure in the marathon.

Did you watch the super bowl last night and what did you think about it?
I had it on, but lost interest somewhere in the 3rd quarter. I kind of wish I had turned the game off honestly.

I was over a friend’s party and we mostly MST3K’ed the whole game.
Now that would have made the game entertaining. I can just picture the bots commentating their way through everything.

I think the show should have been centered around Atlanta artists,
They did that for America the Beautiful and Gladys Knight bringing the house down with her rendition of the national anthem. Honestly, one of the best ever at any sporting event.

Now that would have made the game entertaining. I can just picture the bots commentating their way through everything.

Yeah, it definitely helped make the game more interesting. A small sampling of the night:

- Every time Gronk was shown we played, “what is Gronk thinking?”
- Deciding if Gronk was a character and he was really a super genius (consensus was it’s not an act).
- Every bad offensive play call by the Rams was followed by a chorus of “Sean McVay: Offensive Genius!”

Deciding if Gronk was a character and he was really a super genius (consensus was it’s not an act).
Okay, now I'm wondering if Gronk is really Rowsdower from Final Sacrifice. I'm pretty sure they decided Rowsdower was really just a retired 1970s NFL superstar who retired to Canada.

ATTQOTD: I half watched it. The other half I was making dough for calzones or sitting with my eyes closing because it was DULL. Just a bad game any way you slice it. Granted I only saw commercials here and there, but my fav was Jason Bateman in the elevator. I think it was for Hyundai. I heard the GoT music playing during the Bud Light ad and was rather disgusted they sold out like that. YMMV.

In other news, I completed my 5k. Full report in my training journal...and a finish time of 46:35 Like I said there, it wasn’t zippy, but I finished.

January was a solid month up until the 9th, when I decided to see how fast I could run down a hill. It was quite fast, but in the process aggravated my niggly achilles... I've been taking things easy since, it is improving but it is going to impact my prep for the Rotorua marathon in May. I finished with about 105km for the month

@camaker loved reading your recap, can't imagine running that far! Still, we all said that about a marathon at some stage... I am interested in ultras, in my parts thy seem to be trail runs (and not the easy rail trail versions), and I like the sound of the flat course you had!

ATTQOTD Superbowl is around midday Monday my time so didn't watch it. TBH I really don't get your football, it is a bizarre game with the teams chopping and changing and a lot of nothing happening time ad not much playing time. Still you all probably find cricket weird and I love it so I guess it is what you grow up with (btw I'm not really a rugby fan either so maybe it is oval balls I have issues with)

ATTQOTD Super Bowl: I watched it in the background. It was ok. Thanks @camaker for the Sponge Bob explanation and congratulations on the 50 miler. We do not get the same commercials in Canada... DD favorite was Bubbly. There was a concensus in the house that Lady Gaga’s Half Time Show will forever be hard to beat!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter