• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD: Running has provided me mental wellness and the solitude (as an introvert) I often seek. The biggest thing it has given me has been he opportunity to test and push myself and to feel authentic pride in accomplishing things I did not think I could. I read somewhere recently about the gift of feeling discomfort and how much we have removed this experience from our lives when infact discomfort should be a fundamental experience in our lives. It made me think of running and how after an especially hard run, when I would have wanted to stop, how good it feels to finish. When I am done and in my cool down the satisfaction is worth so much more to me after having pushed through the discomfort and challenge. This is what running gives me.

QOTD: What has running done for you other than the physical effects?

ATTQOTD: I find that when I am running I am usually a much happier person. Also running has allowed me to visit some cool places and meet a lot of great folks. I think meeting new people with common interest has been my favorite part so far.

There is no way to list it all. But, having grown up in a very negative household, I never felt good about myself. Since I was 12 yrs old I have been taking care of someone (my mother had a party phase/drinking problem for several years so I basically raised my sister from when I was 12-17), then I got married, and then the kids. Running taught me its ok to feel good about myself. It's ok to take time for myself. It's ok not to feel guilty that I found something I love, other than Disney. I have learned it has made me a better dad by doing these things. I have met people I never would have met. I have traveled to places for races I would have never otherwise gone. I have even helped a few other people change their lives for the better through running.

Most importantly, I now have a better understanding what life is supposed to be about. It isn't about finding the negative in everything like I was taught growing up, and what my ex believes as well. Life is about appreciating how fortunate we are to run, to have the ability to travel for races, to run through Disney, and to meet people like you guys at races. Walt is one of my biggest role models. So when I run through WDW I look at what he and Roy created and I am amazed not only at what they did, but that I have changed my life because of them. (ToT was my first race signed up for and my motivation to actually follow through this time).

ATTQOTD: It has majorly boosted my confidence. I've run marathons, I can do anything!!

I tell myself this all the time!

I sometimes have to force myself to start the runs I’m legit afraid of and just talk myself through - that I’m just gonna do the best I can do. Amazingly, I finish them, pretty close to the paces and come away with a feeling of accomplishment that rivals a new PR!

After 11 years of running, I still find this to be true. Even if the pace/distance is one that I did 2 weeks ago! It's crazy what our heads tell us.And it's sad to let fear of "failure" keep us from trying. I have mostly learned to make peace with runs that didn't go as expected, and feel good about the ones that went better than I was expecting.

QOTD: How much more do you pay attention to the weather conditions now, compared to before you were a runner?

ATTQOTD: I have always been interested with the weather and would watch the good version of the weather channel for hours when I was younger. This was when it showed actual weather and not reality TV show garbage. Living along the gulf coast the threat of hurricanes excite me, and while that was more exciting before I became a homeowner, I am amazed by their power and how they work. Then in the cooler months when I hunted I watched the weather for our duck hunts. Clear blue skies are not our friend, but foggy and overcast was going to be a good day. So in short, my level of interest has remained the same, but thats because I just like the weather information.

Side Note: Todays question was submitted by a fellow poster. I hope I have captured the intent of your question.

Side Note #2: LSU basketball has arrived after beating #5 Kentucky at Kentucky last night! It feels great to be relevant in the sport again. I know it's just one game, but I have hope for March!

QOTD: How much more do you pay attention to the weather conditions now, compared to before you were a runner?

It is hard to say because I started running when I lived in FL and then moved back to a place that had cold winters. Before leaving I wasn't a runner but I was also working and going to school and wasn't outside enough to really care. Since being back I do pay way more attention to the weather but I also have a lot more free time to care about the weather.

The bigger difference is I look 5 and 10 days out and try to plan which days I'll run and which I'll do something else (swim, lift, bike) based on what days are supposed to be what. Here we can get frostbite and sunburn in the same week so planning is crucial...until the predictions are all wrong anyway.

I do pay more attention to the weather, mostly the forecasts as I'm planning out my week for running. Or even time to run, if it's going to be really cold in the mornings but nicer in the evening, I'll run later. Or if there's rain in the forecast, I'll see when it's supposed to rain and plan my running around that. It was interesting before the marathon, seeing the WDW forecast change from colder, then expected thunderstorms and finally to warmer temperatures.

ATTQOTD: Well, I've been running or walking outdoors in FL for most of my life, so I guess it's the same now as ever - I just have better tools today! Instead of watching the Weather Channel in the days of old, waiting for the local radar map to see if I have enough time to get in a run/walk before a thunderstorm strikes, now I have immediate gratification via weather app on my phone. And I still often get caught in monsoon conditions. ;) Pre-Florida, I probably didn't pay much attention to weather in summer, but winter meant checking snow forecasts and temps for ski conditions, which was most often handled by calling the recorded hotline for the ski resort I went to. I assume all of that is handled by an app nowadays.

Living along the gulf coast the threat of hurricanes excite me, and while that was more exciting before I became a homeowner...
Truer words have seldom been written! :thumbsup2:rotfl: I remember partying through hurricanes as a youngster, with not a care in the world! Even as terrifying as Hugo was when it totaled the house I lived in, still - it wasn't my house to deal with. It sure is a different emotional experience as a homeowner. :scared1:

YATTQOTD: I’ve always had a competitive nature, and that’s one reason why I enjoy sports so much. In my post-college years, I played tennis and basketball which satisfied that competitive streak. But as I’ve passed my 40s, basketball has caused way more aches and pains while tennis required so much preparation (courts, lights if it’s dark, a playing partner) so I came back to running. Running seems to be perfect for me...I’m always competing, but against myself and there’s minimal setup to start it.

ATTQOTD: I definitely check the weather more often, but now in a more granular way. Before, I would just look at the general weather pattern to see what clothes to wear, but now I’ll dive in the hourly forecast to plan my run at a specific hour. Humidity and wind chill aren’t a big factor here in the Bay Area but rain and heat in the summertime is what I usually look for.

ATTQOTD: I now sometimes just check the weather in Orlando or Riviera Maya or Hawaii as a way to dream. That might have come from runDisney in November...
It also guides when to avoid taking the roads. For running, I look at the conditions outside and the temperature (more than the predictions) to choose the proper gear.

Honestly, I find the negativity that generally comes with weather forecast to be a bit of a downer. Why not taking various conditions as an opportunity to enjoy different things?

This weekend we have the following folks with races:

16 - @Disney at Heart - Thrill in the Hills 21k Trail Race (NG / N/A)
17 - @JulieODC - Old Fashioned 10 Miler (NG / N/A)
17 - @tigger536 - Hot Chocolate 15K (NG / N/A)
17 - @chuckille - Heartbreaker Half Marathon (1:45:00 / N/A)
17 - @flav - Hypothermic Half Marathon (NG / N/A)

If you have changes you need to make to your upcoming race, please let me know. Hope yall have a great race and I look forward to hearing how it went.

Racers from last week, I thought I updated the list of times, but it appears it did save. If you could, please post your race finish time again for me. I know I could go back and go through the comments, but I'm trying to save a little time. TIA

ATTQOTD: "Pay attention" might be a bit light for me. "Obsessed" would be a better description. I always try to make sure I maximize my running experience by timing the weather as best I can for both optimal running conditions and optimal running attire. I don't know why I get mad when the weather channel is off by a degree or two in their predictions...but I always do. ;)

ATTQOTD: I still don't pay as much attention to weather forecasts as I probably ought to, but I'm starting to take more notice. I was proud of myself a few weeks ago when we had a warm week in the middle of nowhere and I a.) checked the trail for ice on Friday night to gauge where I could run the next morning and b.) actually paid attention to the fact that the temperature was going to plummet over the weekend and got myself out early enough in the day to run. Haven't been out the last two weeks since then because it's consistently been below 0 Fahrenheit and there's just snow pack and ice everywhere. Been stuck inside on the rowing machine; it's great that I have something I can do indoors, but I'm really missing running now that I was finally getting back into it.

ATTYQOTD: Running--now that I understand how to run at my own pace--gives me a sense of accomplishment that no form of exercise ever did before. The improvements I make are a lot more tangible and easier to see than they were for anything else, plus not being accountable to a team means I'm not pushing myself way past my limits and feeling miserable the whole time (helloooo middle school basketball, I hated practice so much!). I feel accomplished after a good run, even (especially!) if it's a really hard one, and it gives me hope that I can do more than I believed I could when I was a kid (or a teenager...or a young adult...or in my 20s....).

I really needed the pick-me-up from reading yesterday's replies to the QOTD, because I'm feeling anxious and blue this morning. I'm signed up for my first half marathon mid-June, but with only 16 weeks, a long run that topped out at 3 miles the last time I was able to get out there (really wish I hadn't lapsed; I'd been doing better than that back in October), and weather keeping me indoors...I'm really concerned about my ability to train for it. I keep telling myself that the worst case scenario is I walk the whole race; it's on the same course as their full marathon and that means I'll have 5 hours before they close down the course. It just makes me really nervous and I'm frustrated that it's so cold outside. I know others just run in winter anyway, but I don't have gear to deal with temperatures this low and a lot of days it literally hurts to breathe, it's so cold. It just doesn't seem safe to be pulling air that cold into my lungs during a run. So I've been rowing every day I'm supposed to run but can't, and it's good because I'm working out muscles I'm not used to using, but bad because I don't feel like I'm making any progress toward my goals.

ATTQOTD: I've always done outdoor activities- so even before running I was checking the weather trying to see when I might be able to ride my horse that week. Since I finished college and started working that became even more obsessive. There is also a certain amount of amusing masochism in seeing exactly how hot, humid and miserable it is going to be in the summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter