• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2019

QOTD: What is the furthest (is that even a word?) location you have run from home? Tell is if you like where home is and where the run happened, bonus for approximate mileage.

ATTQOTD: Does running on a treadmill count? I live in Maryland just north of DC. I went to a conference in Mumbai, India, and ran on the hotel treadmill there. Google says the distance is over 7900 miles. (The pollution is Mumbai is incredible, plus a lack of sidewalks and crazy traffic, plus concern being a woman running alone all kept me from trying a run outside while I was there.)

If treadmill doesn't count, then I've run various times in California.

@avondale Thanks for doing that math for me! I live in Maryland too and my furthest run was in India (Ahmedabad and not Mumbai but close enough). I totally think the treadmill counts :) I did the treadmill once while I was in India and I had a hard time with it being in kilometers instead of miles. My other run in Ahmedabad was at a country club type place that had an outdoor track. I was glad I had access to that location because I don't think I would have gotten any outdoor runs in otherwise.

ATTQOTD: I wasn't into running yet when I took previous trips, and on my last trip I just...didn't feel like it....

So my answer has to be 90 miles from here, in Helena, MT. I drove there for a Race for the Cure 5K once (and I'll do an overnight trip there for my first half marathon in June!). I've also run in Austin, TX...but that was when Austin was home, so I think it doesn't count.

ATTQOTD: Umm, on land the three most distant places from home in Magnolia Texas are about the same haha. Billings MT, Glendive MT, and Playa del Rey, CA all around 1500 miles. But..... I did run twice on the Disney Magic while on a cruise in Norway so that would be the winner.

ATTQOTD: Does running on a treadmill count? I live in Maryland just north of DC. I went to a conference in Mumbai, India, and ran on the hotel treadmill there. Google says the distance is over 7900 miles. (The pollution is Mumbai is incredible, plus a lack of sidewalks and crazy traffic, plus concern being a woman running alone all kept me from trying a run outside while I was there.)

I'll allow it.
Dilly Dilly.

ATTQOTD: Bay Area to Brooklyn (Prospect Park loop) last week was the farthest distance at 2566 miles.

BUT, like many people have already said, I think Hawaii running during sunrise has to be one of the most relaxing & beautiful vacation runs. SO, I’ll add Kona, HI at 2373 miles as a close 2nd.

@avondale Thanks for doing that math for me! I live in Maryland too and my furthest run was in India (Ahmedabad and not Mumbai but close enough). I totally think the treadmill counts :) I did the treadmill once while I was in India and I had a hard time with it being in kilometers instead of miles. My other run in Ahmedabad was at a country club type place that had an outdoor track. I was glad I had access to that location because I don't think I would have gotten any outdoor runs in otherwise.

It took me a moment on the treadmill to figure out why my speed felt wrong...then I remembered km/hr, not mi/hr! :)

Home for me is Cumming, GA just outside of Atlanta.

The furthest place from home I have done a training run is Skopelos, Greece. A tiny island in the Aegean Sea where my wife's family is from. Famous for where the original Mamma Mia movie was filmed. :)

While I have run a marathon in three states, the furthest place from home I have run a race is at Walt Disney World. That will change in two weeks when I run a half marathon in Bozeman, Montana.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter