• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2019

QOTD: Outside of Disney have you ever done a running centric vacation?

First, Sorry for the loss of Dixie. Sounds like she had a great life with her family.

Vacations around runs that are not at Disney usually are long weekends. As an example, DH has run Lookout Mountain in December several times. We usually go to Chattanooga Friday night in time to eat a nice meal. Saturday morning, he runs his race, and I run 20 miles on the Chattanooga River Walk as a training run for MW. Afterwards, we have been to Chattanooga Aquarium, Ruby Falls, Chattanooga Choo Choo, shopping and looking at Christmas lights, sports at Big River Grill (Chat. version), eating at Sticky Fingers, etc. Then we head home on Sunday.

Also we have been "beaching" at Ponce Inlet, FL, in June for many years and have looked for runs while we are there. A couple of years it was the Echo Half Marathon. Once that race became defunct, we found the Remarkable River Run 10k and are registered for it again this year.

So we sometimes vacation while going to a run, and sometimes run while on vacation!

First, Sorry for the loss of Dixie. Sounds like she had a great life with her family.

Vacations around runs that are not at Disney usually are long weekends. As an example, DH has run Lookout Mountain in December several times. We usually go to Chattanooga Friday night in time to eat a nice meal. Saturday morning, he runs his race, and I run 20 miles on the Chattanooga River Walk as a training run for MW. Afterwards, we have been to Chattanooga Aquarium, Ruby Falls, Chattanooga Choo Choo, shopping and looking at Christmas lights, sports at Big River Grill (Chat. version), eating at Sticky Fingers, etc. Then we head home on Sunday.

Also we have been "beaching" at Ponce Inlet, FL, in June for many years and have looked for runs while we are there. A couple of years it was the Echo Half Marathon. Once that race became defunct, we found the Remarkable River Run 10k and are registered for it again this year.

So we sometimes vacation while going to a run, and sometimes run while on vacation!
I remember going to Ruby Fall 20 or so years ago as a teenager. I loved it! Of course, I love most caves, and thought that one was pretty cool.

I just ran a marathon and our 4:35 pace leader had qualified for the Boston Marathon 2019 with run/walk 2:37 marathon. I think she said she did something like 8 minutes running/1 minute walking.

That's amazing. Wonder what pace you have to run to be able to maintain that ratio? Paging the Math Team.

ATTQOTD: No running vacations yet, although a RunDisney event is something I’m trying to plan on the future.

That's amazing. Wonder what pace you have to run to be able to maintain that ratio? Paging the Math Team.

This is what I came up with:

Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 3.53.06 PM.png

A 2:37 marathon is 5:59 min/mile pace for 26.22 miles. Her run/walk complete interval is 9 minutes (8 min run/ 1 min walk). So at a pace of 5:59 min/mile average, she needs to cover 1.50 miles every 9 minutes. Depending on her walk speed from a 15:00 min/mile to a 20:00 min/mile, the run pace would vary from a 5:30-5:34 min/mile pace.

@LSUlakes , I have my result for my race:

17 - avondale - Virginia Beach Marathon (4:35:00 / 4:49:29)

I have a very long recap on my training journal here: Shamrock Marathon 2019 Race Report - hopefully I linked it correctly. (ETA: seems like it doesn't put you to exactly the right post, but at least to the right page...)

The short story: the weather was perfect as @BikeFan said in an earlier recap. My goal time was a much more modest 4:35.

I started out strongly with the 4:35 pace group and things went very well as planned until mile 16 when I realized it was getting hard. I held on with the pace group until mile 18. After that, my legs quickly became very unhappy and I had to slow way down. I stuck it out to the end, finishing in 4:49:29. This is my second marathon, and a 35-minute improvement over my first one.

I still need to think a bit about what happened in this one to figure out where to improve for the next one.

Just realizing that I mixed the digits on that. 3:27. A little more do-able, but still pretty amazing.

This would be the run/walk paces then:

Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 8.41.48 PM.png

That pace (7:20-7:27) would be their 15k race equivalent pace (70 min race pace). So just a touch slower than LT pace.

ATTQOTD racecations:
I vacationed while running in Ottawa: We skated on the Rideau canal on the eve of a winter race.

What is more likely is to run while on vacation: I try to find a race wherever we plan on going for over a week. Some Me time I guess. I ran in Hawaii last summer and plan running in California next summer.

ATTQOTD: Travel is our hobby, so it seems that the races have always happened because we had planned a trip and then I looked to see if I could fit in a race. This has resulted in some pretty great experiences, like the Garden of the Gods 10K and the Fortitude 10K last summer. FYI- the best thing about the Fortitude race was the swag tech shirt which says “Run the Fort” I love, love, love wearing it when I run in Fort Wilderness, our resort of choice! It has also resulted in at least one serious regret which was a mostly single track trail 10K on a bison ranch in southern WY last September. I was trying to cross WY off my state list, but the run was boring, and hard, and had more hills than I was prepared for.

In this same line of thought, has anyone done any of the National Park half marathons? Our first racecation, race first and vacation second, will be the Grand Teton Half on June 1. Just wondering if anyone has any past experiences with the organization?

ATTQOTD: I haven't planned any other holiday trips around a race, but I have looked for a race to run in a place I was going to be visiting on holiday, in particular the Callander Games Hill Race while on a vacation in Scotland in 2011. The race was 13.7 km (or 10 km and a wee bit more, as the organizers described it!) of very mixed terrain, including two hills (up one side, down the other), sheep pasture, dirt road, stone stairs, and the "none shall pass" bridge featured in Monty Python's Holy Grail. It certainly helped to make the holiday memorable!

QOTD: Outside of Disney have you ever done a running centric vacation?

ATTQOTD: Yes, a few times actually. Our trip to run the Boston Marathon was one. I've taken shorter trips to Tennessee to run the Navy 10 Nautical Mile race. The last one I have done was a running camp in North Carolina with Zapfitness. Really cool thing to do with a lot of great advice and its a little higher in elevation so the temps felt like fall for me in July.

Yes and no. I went to FL in early February with my girlfriend, with the intention of running a 1/2 marathon in Sarasota and she was going to do the 10k. Well, she ran the 10k and I watched. We were there the whole weekend, I just couldn't run. We are planning to go to CA next February for that same weekend in February. She wants to do the Surfcity 1/2 as her first half marathon. We haven't signed up yet, we are waiting to see how my ankles hold up, although I think she should still do it even if I can't do it with her. But we will be mixing in some more running trips as we can going forward.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter