• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2019

I will follow @lauraleh's lead and also post my first monthly summary.
March summary
124 km running
11h43 total time
5:40 min/km average pace

My work schedule in March made a regular running routine challenging. It should be easier in April, especially as the ice and snow continue to melt and the local trails and walkways become a better option.

Modesto Marathon race recap 3/31: sorry for the wall of text, it was my first marathon!

Let me start by saying I’m not a racer. I love running, but hate races. Mostly because I want to constantly improve, so put a lot of pressure on myself.

That said, I decided to run a marathon having only done a 10k last year. I figured this was my only window for a few years where the baby doesn’t need to nurse around the clock, but not old enough to go skiing and major vacations.

I asked @DopeyBadger to come up with a training plan and he was very kind to help me to achieve my goal: BQ on my one and only marathon (3:40)! So this was immense pressure.

I never was able to successfully maintain pace during my long training runs with tempo mixed in due to a variety of reasons/excuses (overpasses, cracked ribs, headwinds); so I was intimidated by the pacing he set out for me. Plus, race weather turned out warmer than I expected. Luckily I started heat acclimating 2.5 weeks earlier right around when my ribs finally healed. Also, I had completely fallen apart during the last 4 miles of a 20 mile run I had asked @DopeyBadger to add to my training (for mental fortitude) and I didn’t want a repeat.

I was so upset since I put so much effort and time into my training. But Coach Billy helped come up with a plan to follow the 3:30 pacer to achieve my BQ goal with cushion.

My DH who generally isn’t very supportive of my running (but supportive this time as long as it was my “only marathon”) surprised me with flowers and a note of support that brought tears to my eyes.

We stayed overnight in a nearby hotel and because I didn’t want to wake the baby up early, I stayed in a separate room next door. I felt oddly at peace. Decided to just take whatever the day gave me and slept 7 hours!

Woke up early the next morning to get prepared and luckily was able to nurse before heading out the door and walk the 2 blocks to the starting line.

I searched out the 3:30 pacer and he told me his plan was to run even miles and about 15-30 seconds under 3:30. Perfect!

Marathon, half, and relay had the same start time and I stuck behind the pacer to keep the weaving to a minimum. Mile 1: 8:13. Perfect! We ended up maintaining about a 7:59 average pace after that. I’ve never run with anyone before, so ended up striking a conversation up with the group. As I was chatting away I realized it was a pretty easy-ish pace. But I knew feeling good at mile 14 was not the same as mile 20.

My family came at mile 16 to cheer me on and my DH and older son made an amazing sign!

I got antsy at the pace and finally pulled away at mile 19. The pacer wished me luck and I asked him to pull me in if he found me falling apart later.

The next 4 miles were at a 7:40ish pace. I wondered if I would regret it. I was nervous that any minor twinge I felt was a warning of impending leg cramps, but luckily none came.
Mile 24 7:33
Mile 25 7:14

Around this time I passed the 3:25 pacer who didn't look too good.

Mile 26 7:23
Mile 26.2 6:48

Finish time: 3:26:14
1st place in AG! (got a travel mug)
5th woman
50th overall

I just missed NY marathon cut off by 14 seconds. I wonder if I hadn't run so conservatively if I would have made it. But ultimately, I wanted to finish without breaking. And instead I finished strong! Usually I'm fading fast, but this is the first time I've ever "pac-manned" and had a negative split. I actually felt pretty good after the race after walking a bit.

Goals:
Ultimate goal: BQ (yes! by almost 14 minutes!)
Secret goal: sub 3:30 (yes!)
Cherry on top: age group placement (yes!)

And yes, my DH is on board with going to Boston next year!

A special thanks to @DopeyBadger! He made an amazing training plan around my scheduling limitations. I don't think I missed any days except at the very beginning due to hazardous air quality. He talked me down for the edge quite a few times and I'm so thankful for all this help.

Last edited:
Modesto Marathon race recap 3/31: sorry for the wall of text, it was my first marathon!

5th woman
51st overall

I just missed NY marathon cut off by 14 seconds. I wonder if I hadn't run so conservatively if I would have made it. But ultimately, I wanted to finish without breaking. And instead I finished strong! Usually I'm fading fast, but this is the first time I've ever "pac-manned" and had a negative split. I actually felt pretty good after the race after walking a bit.

Goals:

A special thanks to @DopeyBadger! He made an amazing training plan around my scheduling limitations. I don't think I missed any days except at the very beginning due to hazardous air quality. He talked me down for the edge quite a few times and I'm so thankful for all this help.

Congrats on a great race!!

March was another month dominated by one big race with a lot of careful prep and recovery time limiting total distance. The month was dominated by the Badwater Cape Fear 51.4m race, which accounted for more than half of my total mileage for the month. I had some mysterious foot pain crop up right at the beginning of the month that resulted in my nursing things along so that I would be able to race. On the plus side, it didn't really bother me during the race and as a very pleasant surprise, I had much less residual soreness and recovered more quickly from the ultra than I have from any marathon to this point. Not sure if that's due to the lower average pacing during the race or due to the sand providing less pounding on my knees and ankles than running on pavement, but either way I'll take it. My totals for the month were:

March:
Total Miles - 100.36
Total Time - 21:30:22
Average Pace - 11:07/mi

At this point, I'm still torn on what direction to go with my running. Do I focus on running marathon and shorter distances faster or marathon and ultra distances slower? At least for the near term, I need to get a faster half marathon in soon. My PoT for RunDisney races has expired. I can keep a couple of last year's races and drop back a corral or so, but I'd rather get a sub-2:00 half in and keep my current placement. I'd also like to take another run at a sub-4:00 marathon. In the long term, though, I've found a lot of appeal to running the marathon and ultra distances with a focus on completion rather than time.

For anyone thinking of dipping their toe into the ultra pool, go for it! I've found it to be a significantly different experience and community than road racing. There's a lot less focus on finishing times and getting faster, faster, faster. You can do that of course, but I haven't found it to be nearly as pervasive within the culture. Ultras have offered me the opportunity to reconnect with why I love running: being out in the clean air, enjoying the scenery and just enjoying the experience while still delivering a sense of accomplishment.

Now, who wants to come crew for me at the Keys 100? Just kidding (maybe). DW has refused to crew this one, branding it as "crazy". She doesn't see "it wouldn't be worth doing if it weren't crazy" as a valid reason. She's convinced ultras are going to either kill me or put me in a wheelchair for our retirement! Anyone got a convincing argument I can try to bring her around? :)

Let me start by saying I’m not a racer. I love running, but hate races. Mostly because I want to constantly improve, so put a lot of pressure on myself.

That said, I decided to run a marathon having only done a 10k last year. I figured this was my only window for a few years where the baby doesn’t need to nurse around the clock, but not old enough to go skiing and major vacations.

I asked @DopeyBadger to come up with a training plan and he was very kind to help me to achieve my goal: BQ on my one and only marathon (3:40)! So this was immense pressure.

I never was able to successfully maintain pace during my long training runs with tempo mixed in due to a variety of reasons/excuses (overpasses, cracked ribs, headwinds). So was intimidated by the pacing he set out for me. Plus, race weather turned out warmer than I expected. Luckily I started heat acclimating 2.5 weeks earlier right around when my ribs finally healed. Also, I had completely fallen apart during the last 4 miles of a 20 mile run I had asked @DopeyBadger to add to my training (for mental fortitude) and I didn’t want a repeat.

I was so upset since I put so much effort and time into my training. But Coach Billy helped come up with a plan to follow the 3:30 pacer to achieve my BQ goal with cushion.

My DH who generally isn’t very supportive of my running (but supportive this time as long as it was my “only marathon”) surprised me with flowers and a note of support that brought tears to my eyes.

We stayed overnight in a nearby hotel and because I didn’t want to wake the baby up early, I stayed in a separate room next door. I felt oddly at peace. Decided to just take whatever the day gave me and slept 7 hours!

Woke up early the next morning to get prepared and luckily was able to nurse before heading out the door and walk the 2 blocks to the starting line.

I searched out the 3:30 pacer and he told me his plan was to run even miles and about 15-30 seconds under 3:30. Perfect!

Marathon, half, and relay had the same start time and I stuck behind the pacer to keep the weaving to a minimum. Mile 1: 8:13. Perfect! We ended up maintaining about a 7:59 average pace after that. I’ve never run with anyone before, so ended up striking a conversation up with the group. As I was chatting away I realized it was a pretty easy-ish pace. But I knew feeling good at mile 14 was not the same as mile 20.

My family came at mile 16 to cheer me on and my DH and older son made an amazing sign!

I got antsy at the pace and finally pulled away at mile 19. The pacer wished me luck and I asked him to pull me in if he found me falling apart later.

The next 4 miles were at a 7:40ish pace. I wondered if I would regret it. I was nervous that any minor twinge I felt was a warning of impending leg cramps, but luckily none came.

5th woman
51st overall

Goals:

Congratulations on an amazing race, way to crush it!

I never was able to successfully maintain pace during my long training runs with tempo mixed in due to a variety of reasons/excuses (overpasses, cracked ribs, headwinds). So was intimidated by the pacing he set out for me. Plus, race weather turned out warmer than I expected. Luckily I started heat acclimating 2.5 weeks earlier right around when my ribs finally healed. Also, I had completely fallen apart during the last 4 miles of a 20 mile run I had asked @DopeyBadger to add to my training (for mental fortitude) and I didn’t want a repeat.

5th woman
51st overall

Goals:

So so proud of you! To say you placed an immense amount of pressure on yourself is the understatement of the year. Normally with a first time marathoner runner, we're talking about completion, don't have a time goal, etc. Learn what the experience is like before we come up with time based goals. But we went with a time based goal. But not any time based goal, a BQ, which would place you in the top 5% in the US for your age group and gender. Ok, ok that's crazy... But then you add on top the criteria that this is your one and only marathon attempt... WOW! But you did it.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Race recap: Bentonville (AR) half marathon, 3/30.

I impulsively signed up for this race two weeks ago because I decided to do a statewide running challenge to do eight different halfs in Arkansas in two years. So I opted for this one first, because Bentonville is a surprisingly fun little town.

Weather was thunderstormy so they delayed the start by 30 minutes. Thankfully I splurged on a hotel across the street from the start line, so I just hung out in my room. I imagine I would have been frazzled if I was sitting in a car or standing around a big community center then.

Once we got started it was fun! Good crowd support from residents, though not much by way of entertainment or fun food stops. (I am spoiled by those races when businesses set up their own tents and hand out eats/drinks - yes I will take a beer!)

Weather was super windy and drizzling and a little cold. I have chafing in places I didn’t realize could chafe. But I was in a good place mentally and just kept plugging along.

Mile 12 is a giant steep hill that goes on forever (you weren’t kidding @ZellyB) but I made it. I was hoping for a sub-3 hr finish but no dice. I ended with 3:04:23 which is a 2-minute PR! I’m happy especially considering the hills and the weather.

The medal was fab, but tinypic isn’t cooperating right now. I also got a hoodie made out of tech material, a custom Junk headband and a water bottle. Pretty great swag.

Great job conquering that hill!

5th woman
51st overall

Goals:

BEAST!!! Fantastic job and great recap.

@dis_or_dat ........first marathon, PR, BQ, AG winner = mic drop. Congrats on an amazing accomplishment.

@broadsheet.....congrats on the Bentonville half. Sounds like a great event.

@jmasgat.....congrats on your hilly Bluegrass run. Course sounds tough, swag sounds nice.

@KevM- congrats on your PR at the Love Run. Way to leave the pacer in the dust and finish strong. I was there and glad the rain held off until after the finish.

March was another month dominated by one big race with a lot of careful prep and recovery time limiting total distance. The month was dominated by the Badwater Cape Fear 51.4m race, which accounted for more than half of my total mileage for the month. I had some mysterious foot pain crop up right at the beginning of the month that resulted in my nursing things along so that I would be able to race. On the plus side, it didn't really bother me during the race and as a very pleasant surprise, I had much less residual soreness and recovered more quickly from the ultra than I have from any marathon to this point. Not sure if that's due to the lower average pacing during the race or due to the sand providing less pounding on my knees and ankles than running on pavement, but either way I'll take it. My totals for the month were:

March:
Total Miles - 100.36
Total Time - 21:30:22
Average Pace - 11:07/mi

At this point, I'm still torn on what direction to go with my running. Do I focus on running marathon and shorter distances faster or marathon and ultra distances slower? At least for the near term, I need to get a faster half marathon in soon. My PoT for RunDisney races has expired. I can keep a couple of last year's races and drop back a corral or so, but I'd rather get a sub-2:00 half in and keep my current placement. I'd also like to take another run at a sub-4:00 marathon. In the long term, though, I've found a lot of appeal to running the marathon and ultra distances with a focus on completion rather than time.

For anyone thinking of dipping their toe into the ultra pool, go for it! I've found it to be a significantly different experience and community than road racing. There's a lot less focus on finishing times and getting faster, faster, faster. You can do that of course, but I haven't found it to be nearly as pervasive within the culture. Ultras have offered me the opportunity to reconnect with why I love running: being out in the clean air, enjoying the scenery and just enjoying the experience while still delivering a sense of accomplishment.

Now, who wants to come crew for me at the Keys 100? Just kidding (maybe). DW has refused to crew this one, branding it as "crazy". She doesn't see "it wouldn't be worth doing if it weren't crazy" as a valid reason. She's convinced ultras are going to either kill me or put me in a wheelchair for our retirement! Anyone got a convincing argument I can try to bring her around? :)
I would love to join ya, but I still need a 50 miler under my belt and I am not planning one until 2020(squaw peak 50 miler), but may try to do Speedgoat 50k instead. Both are verty, but the goat is steeper.

As for what to tell DW, I got nothing. I’m whittling away at my GF and keep telling her that these more extreme races will give our daughter achievements to look at and aspire to, and one day destroy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter