• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2019

Gratuitous puppy picture from agility class a week and a half ago :)

SCneHmbl.jpg

ATTQOTD: Our dog has legs about 5" off the ground, so no running with me there. :P

In other news, wanted to share that this past week I hit a couple of milestones (for me): I hit 100 miles for the year, and ran 6.2 miles as I continue training for my first 10K at the end of August. Other than miserable heat (don't think T+C has been under 150 the last two months!), it's been a fun ride.

Quick Check-in:

We had a lightning strike Saturday morning (not physically the house, seems to have come through the phone line) that took out about half our technology: 2 TVs, satellite box, 1 PC and the Ethernet port on another, portable phones, 2 Ethernet switches (I made a good one out of the 2 bad ones. Yay Me!), DSL modem/router, and the phone wiring. As the resident technical support, I've been busy since then. I just got us back on line this afternoon.

On a different topic: we have a new family member! Mikey (not Mickey) the cat! The existing cats are pretty unhappy, but all-in-all it's gone way better than expected. We've had some hissing and growling, but no physical altercations. We even have an orderly feeding. I shout 'DINNER TIME' (our cue for time to eat), and they all line up at their respective bowls!

Will post a picture of Mikey once my tech support work is done.

Quick Check-in:

We had a lightning strike Saturday morning (not physically the house, seems to have come through the phone line) that took out about half our technology: 2 TVs, satellite box, 1 PC and the Ethernet port on another, portable phones, 2 Ethernet switches (I made a good one out of the 2 bad ones. Yay Me!), DSL modem/router, and the phone wiring. As the resident technical support, I've been busy since then. I just got us back on line this afternoon.

On a different topic: we have a new family member! Mikey (not Mickey) the cat! The existing cats are pretty unhappy, but all-in-all it's gone way better than expected. We've had some hissing and growling, but no physical altercations. We even have an orderly feeding. I shout 'DINNER TIME' (our cue for time to eat), and they all line up at their respective bowls!

Will post a picture of Mikey once my tech support work is done.
Don't like; Like!
We are having quite a lot of lightening right now. We need the rain badly, so hopefully the storm will pass but the rain will make the grass turn green again.

Wow, going on a roller coaster road trip makes is hard to catch up on this thread. Over the last two weeks, we drove over 3600 miles and hit Six Flags over Ga, Kings Island, Cedar Point, Holiday World (on the 4th) and Six Flags St. Louis. Also a couple National Parks along the way. This was a gift to the HS Grad in the family. Over the 6 days of parks time, I was able to ride 40+ different roller coasters. A blast was had by all.
This is my dream vacation. I live right by Cedar Point and spend a few days a week there. I really hope you enjoyed the coasters there! That sounds like a fantastic vacation!

This is my dream vacation. I live right by Cedar Point and spend a few days a week there. I really hope you enjoyed the coasters there! That sounds like a fantastic vacation!

For the most part, we did. The second day, we went straight to Maverick, and it broke as we were next in line to ride. After 45 minutes, we gave up and went to Top Thrill, and it also broke as we were next in line. 3.5 hours and zero rides. Wife complained to Guest Services, and we got two sets of skip the line passes, which really helped us out. Later in the day after a storm came close by, the park was empty enough to ride multiple coasters in short order. Steel Vengeance is awesome, but not worth the usual 120 minute wait. I think the only ones I did not ride was Top Thrill....and Valravn (since it is down for an extended time). My buys loved Maverick the most. Millennium Force and Gatekeeper were mine.

What surprised me was how huge the park was. It took us 13 minutes to walk to Steel Vengeance from the front gate at rope drop, and we were walking at a decent clip, but not running like others were.

I read that in another forum this morning. A very tragic and sad end to his life. It's sad he felt the embarrassment and shame of admitting to cheating outweighed all the good he’d done in his life. If he did take his own life, which seems to be the case.
It has been confirmed to be death by suicide. The saddest part is that he was driven to this by people who do not know him, but judged him and used social media to harass and bully him.

With every interaction we have an opportunity to make a difference. Too many people chose to hurt this man instead of helping him, even though he had spent a lifetime helping others. I truly believe that social media is destroying our humanity.

For the most part, we did. The second day, we went straight to Maverick, and it broke as we were next in line to ride. After 45 minutes, we gave up and went to Top Thrill, and it also broke as we were next in line. 3.5 hours and zero rides. Wife complained to Guest Services, and we got two sets of skip the line passes, which really helped us out. Later in the day after a storm came close by, the park was empty enough to ride multiple coasters in short order. Steel Vengeance is awesome, but not worth the usual 120 minute wait. I think the only ones I did not ride was Top Thrill....and Valravn (since it is down for an extended time). My buys loved Maverick the most. Millennium Force and Gatekeeper were mine.

What surprised me was how huge the park was. It took us 13 minutes to walk to Steel Vengeance from the front gate at rope drop, and we were walking at a decent clip, but not running like others were.
The park is really long and kind of narrow and the walk from our car to the back is usually close to a mile. Steel is fantastic but yeah, I'd never wait that long. Maverick was my daughter's first big coaster at 7. That and gatekeeper are her faves. Glad you enjoyed it!

What a fantastic idea for a trip @gjramsey. Glad you enjoyed Cedar Point. Always been my favorite park for coaster fun.
I think they still do a Run & Ride event each year where you can run a up to a half marathon and get free parking/admission to the park and ride coasters the rest of the day.
They still do run and ride. Beginning of June each year.

It has been confirmed to be death by suicide. The saddest part is that he was driven to this by people who do not know him, but judged him and used social media to harass and bully him.

With every interaction we have an opportunity to make a difference. Too many people chose to hurt this man instead of helping him, even though he had spent a lifetime helping others. I truly believe that social media is destroying our humanity.

I’ll respectfully disagree. The decision to cheat, to lie, and to take his own life was his and his alone.

While it's sad that he felt he had to take his life over this, and while I'm sure some comments directed to him took it too far, I find it difficult to call it bullying. Calling a cheater a cheater isn't bullying. It's stating reality. He chose to cheat and had to know it was likely to catch up to him. If he didn't want to be called a cheat or liar he shouldn't have done those things.

I’ll respectfully disagree. The decision to cheat, to lie, and to take his own life was his and his alone.
Respectfully, you clearly know nothing about mental health. This man has issues, and you sum it up as "cheating".

Last edited:
While it's sad that he felt he had to take his life over this, and while I'm sure some comments directed to him took it too far, I find it difficult to call it bullying. Calling a cheater a cheater isn't bullying. It's stating reality. He chose to cheat and had to know it was likely to catch up to him. If he didn't want to be called a cheat or liar he shouldn't have done those things.
You are oversimplifying human behavior. We are complex creatures, and when we need help we often only get judgement.

A lifetime of helping others, and he is just a cheat and liar. So sad that we can't see past that to the troubled human being.

I never advocate for the loss of life, but I understand this perspective. If you are cheating to set age group records at major marathons I don't really have an issue with people calling it out, specifically if you've been caught multiple times and continue to cheat. I don't know if he was having to deal with backlash from individuals or if it was just the news articles, and the marathon investigation report.

Respectfully, you clearly know nothing about mental health. This man has issues, and you sum it up as "cheating" because of your ignorance.

Unless you were his psychiatrist, I would say you don't know what his mental health "issues" were. If you are trying to make a connection between any purported mental health issues and its relation to his documented behavior during races, then perhaps you could offer an explanation that may help us understand. His behavior was not a one-off and was explored by numerous races, so I don't think it's "ignorance" to read the various accounts and draw a conclusion of cheating.

It is very sad that this person chose to end his life, and it certainly gave me pause to think about how the public attention to this matter may have contributed. And I say this as someone who also shared the opinion that he cheated.

Last edited:
Respectfully, you clearly know nothing about mental health. This man has issues, and you sum it up as "cheating".
Actually they probably referred to this as cheating because the definition of cheating is act to dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage. That is literally what this person did. Those actions could have been caused by mental health issues or something else.

Would you advocate that his record should stand for the LA Marathon? I don't think that he should have been pushed to suicide and I wish that he could have gotten help. At the same time I don't think you can say he ran a valid race either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter