• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2019

I run all over the country, and beyond. I wouldn't choose one place. I like all of the run types - hills, flat, hot, cold - I love them all. So I am going to say that I would prefer the life of a globe trotter - running wherever I happen to be.

QOTD: If you could pick anywhere to live for purposes of running, where would you go and why?

ATTQOTD: I really love a lot of things about Louisiana, but summer is not one of those things! I think I would head somewhere west where the weather is favorable more days than not. I dont mind some 80's and I dont hate the 30's either. Places with hills and trails... I think out west is my best chance of finding something like that.

ATTQOTD: I would probably choose NYC. During my most recent vacation there we ran in Central Park every morning and it was awesome. Also I love how many awesome races the NYRR put on.

Congrats @run.minnie.miles. That is such exciting news!
I saw a woman running in my 10K in June in Florida who was obviously in the third trimester wearing a tank that said, “I could run a lot faster if I weren’t so @&$% pregnant!” She walked a good bit and apparently was having no problems. She got a lot of chuckles and best wishes. That said, everyone is different, so do what is best for you and follow doctor’s orders.

ATTQOTD: I couldn't ever pick just one place, but I love running with scenery, and cool temps. Does living out of a motorhome count?

ATTQOTD: If I could pick anywhere to run, it would be somewhere at a beach near Charleston, HIlton Head or Savannah. Really enjoy the flat terrain, warm water, soft (nonrocky) sand, and steady ocean breezes. Great food too.

Haven't been to New Zealand yet and reserve the right to change my answer at a later date.
Speaking of running in Hilton Head, I was pretty pleased with my performance at the Hilton Head Island Firecracker 5K last week on the 4th. It was super muggy, and hot, but running at lunch every day in worse conditions meant I was pretty well acclimated. This was my first time running this race, and it was located in Jarvis Park this year. I heard other runners complaining, saying the previous year's location was nicer due to more of an ocean breeze, but the course was pretty well shaded, even if the air was a bit stuffy. I hadn't trained, and the T+D values were 160ish, but I still managed to finish in 20:24, only about 45 seconds worse than my PB which came in perfect running weather and after training for 6 weeks.

And I will throw my congrats out there for @run.minnie.miles!

Wow, this thread was a roller coaster of emotion over the last day's posts. One of the reasons I look forward to checking the thread more so than any other online location is the consistency of kindness I see woven throughout the posts. I appreciate the encouragement from fellow posters, and want to say thank you to all who participate and who lurk.

ATTQOTD: I am pretty happy with where I am- I like the seasons but will continue to complain about them. I do not think the amazing parts (Fall leaves, sunrise at 5:45am, 45 °F running weather) are possible without the extremes. However, I am happy to take extended vacations and run elsewhere, my favorite spot being Kauai.

ATTQOTD: I am pretty happy with where I am- I like the seasons but will continue to complain about them. I do not think the amazing parts (Fall leaves, sunrise at 5:45am, 45 °F running weather) are possible without the extremes. However, I am happy to take extended vacations and run elsewhere
ATTQOTD: I cannot say it better @TheHamm
Seasons also means different speeds and training focus.

ATTQOTD: I'm going with Kenya. Have I ever actually been to Kenya? No. But I literally DO "dream of a farm in Africa" - I want to sell everything and go raise goats and make goat's milk products in Kenya! And yeah, running there looks like everything I dream of, too: wide open, beautiful spaces. There is the pesky little issue of my body physically rejecting any altitude higher than about 3,000' feet, but in my fantasy I adapt. ;)

ATTQOTD: I cannot say it better @TheHamm
Seasons also means different speeds and training focus.
I needed to hear this. I almost cried on this morning's run as it felt harder and I was soooo muuuch sloooooower than I expected. Then I realized despite my attempt to run in the AM vs. noon sun, it was much more humid and not that much cooler than it was when I was seeing faster mile times. So perhaps summer is not when one works on speed? Do I give in and enjoy lazy miles and consider speed later?

Summer - in FL, no less - is exactly when I do more speed work... on a TREADMILL, lol! Hot weather is for running at whatever pace feels comfortable. Or, you know, at least survivable.
HA! I had spent the warmer week in June on the treadmill because I was dropping my kids off at the YMCA camp, and that week was my best consistent speed ever! I thought I would keep it going outdoors because I want to be outside, but watching myself be a minute per mile slower was pretty disheartening.

ATTQOTD: I like living in New Hampshire, but it is humid here from like May to October. I don't like running in humidity, or really doing much of anything. Which makes it really difficult to go to OTF in the summer because their AC doesn't work very well! Last Saturday, the floor was slippery and we completely fogged up the glass walls on 2 sides of the studio. Like a bathroom mirror when you take a hot shower... Coach told us not to write anything on the windows! 😂

When it dries out then it usually means it's very hot. Like last week it was drier... but in the 90's. This week it's "cooler" and in the 80's... but humidity is usually much higher. Today it's only 68% but usually it's much closer to 100%.

Can I change the weather in NH and make it drier instead of moving? :)

ATTQOTD: So many good answers. I think the "wherever I am" response is probably most accurate for me too. That being said I am particularly fond of the run in Sydney from Darling Harbour, under the bridge, and then around the Opera house and back through the botanical gardens.

Temp wise it was really hot and humid here this morning. Tried to do a progression run but really couldn't hold they faster pace. I'm gonna try and redo the workout on my treadmill tonight. My garmin seems to become wildly innacurate at faster paces on the treadmill, but I figure mentally it will be good to see that I can actually do the workout.

Last edited:
I poofed from here for a while after April Rivals Run. I was was trying to start back running and trying to enjoy running again but each time I ran I felt horrible. And so I stopped. No cold symptoms or anything else, just feeling BLEH. After 3 weeks of not feeling good and becoming grouchy enough DH finally said go see the doctor, I did. And found out I had pneumonia and possibly strep, all with no symptoms!

After 3 weeks of antibiotics I started strength training again and ended up walking my June 5k on June 29th. After 10 days of walking 2 to 4 miles, today I did my first 2.5 mile run and it felt great! So, I’m back! :cool1:

ATTQOTD: I don't think I'd want to live anywhere other than Virginia Beach for running purposes. Everywhere is going to have its positives and negatives. It does get hot and humid, but the trade-off is beautiful fall/spring weather and fairly mild winters. We have a lot of great races, strong running community and awesome trails/paths/beaches to run and everything is flat. We're also an easy drive to the mountains or we have a lot of bridges with pedestrian paths if you want elevation. Also quick drives up to the DC area or to NC/SC for other races.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter