• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2019

Does anyone else do mental arithmetic during their run or is it just me?

Realised that as I run I tend to look at my time and pace and start doing maths like:
- Oh, I'm running at a pace of 6:40 a kilometre... how fast is that if I convert to miles?
- How long does it take me to run 100 metres at my current pace?
- At the 3 km mark, I'll look at my time and convert it into my pace per km
- At the 3.2 km (or 2 mile mark) I'll look at my time and convert it into my pace per mile
- At various points in my run I'll start calculating what my final time could end up becoming if I continue my current pace, or if I speed things up a bit... Like for my last 10k run I hit the 8.4 km mark at 55 minutes, and realised if I ran my last mile in 10 minutes (which I know I can do if I run fast) I would make the 10k in 1:05... or today when I hit the 4 km mark at 27:30 I was like, well if I continue on at my current pace I'll still hit 5 km under 35:00...

Possibly the maths helps to take my mind off the running as I run!
Yes. Today’s was hypothetical math rationalizing whether signing up for a 50 miler was a mistake, and how much probable time I would save not stopping for bicycles or doing a massive climb to open up the run, or what sort of impact my race being about 4000 feet lower will have on my performance, especially with it also being a Peak week this week. And with all the fake maths I have decided that I can make the 15 minute/mile cut off.

And if not, I’ll get a DNF to go with my DNS trophy collection.

Congrats @steph0808 on making it 100 days!

ATTQOTD-Fueling- I'm going to give the worst advice ever....I rarely fuel or hydrate unless I am running more than 2 hours. So don't do what I do.

ATTFFQOTD-My grandparents lived in Los Angeles and took me to DL when I was very small. The Pirates ride seemed terrifying to me. Grew up watching the Wonderful World of Disney and made several trips to WDW from 1977-1987 as a kid/teenager. I like the parks but otherwise didn't give much thought to Disney during those years.

Started running in 2012 and read about the Dopey Challenge a few years later. Knew I had to do it. So I combined my running hobby with a family trip and did Dopey (with a 4 day park hopper) and Dumbo in 2015. That was my first trip back to DL since I was 5 years old. Wish I would have known about RunDisney sooner to enjoy the Tot, and the Wine & Dine at night.

I find the idea of trying to eat peanut butter while running horrifying, even though I too love peanut butter and would eat it all the time if I could. I am a heavy sweat-er and I am always thirsty while I'm exercising. I just can't imagine putting peanut butter in my mouth while running! I would use up all my water trying to wash it down!

Disney: Wow, my experience is such a hodgepodge of everyone else's! I remember going to the theatrical rerelease of Cinderella as a class trip or for daycare (?!) and was blown away. We never had cable so I adored Wonderful World of Disney and movies like Bedknobs and Broomsticks. I grew up during the second golden age of Disney movies so Aladdin and Lion King etc are dear to me although I made an unforced error choosing to watch All Dogs Go to Heaven instead of The Little Mermaid. Disneyland was close by so our annual summer trip was my big highlight of the year, especially since we never went on vacations. Also, my dad would just drop me and my friend off to roam the park alone in elementary school - beats babysitting us I guess. So lots of nostalgia there. Many years later I was thinking about running a half marathon and came upon Star Wars half at Disneyland, it was sold out so I ran Tinkerbell and had an amazing time. I ran Star Wars the next year and it lived up to the hype!

July:
Total: 169.47
Avg Pace: 9:14

Does anyone else do mental arithmetic during their run or is it just me?

Realised that as I run I tend to look at my time and pace and start doing maths like:
- Oh, I'm running at a pace of 6:40 a kilometre... how fast is that if I convert to miles?
- How long does it take me to run 100 metres at my current pace?
- At the 3 km mark, I'll look at my time and convert it into my pace per km
- At the 3.2 km (or 2 mile mark) I'll look at my time and convert it into my pace per mile
- At various points in my run I'll start calculating what my final time could end up becoming if I continue my current pace, or if I speed things up a bit... Like for my last 10k run I hit the 8.4 km mark at 55 minutes, and realised if I ran my last mile in 10 minutes (which I know I can do if I run fast) I would make the 10k in 1:05... or today when I hit the 4 km mark at 27:30 I was like, well if I continue on at my current pace I'll still hit 5 km under 35:00...

Possibly the maths helps to take my mind off the running as I run!

I made a meme to explain my thoughts on trying to do race math when I'm overly tired.

I saw that on one of the Facebook groups. Having only done 2 rD races, I can't really say I remember who he was, but I know a lot of people liked him.

I saw that on one of the Facebook groups. Having only done 2 rD races, I can't really say I remember who he was, but I know a lot of people liked him.
He’s pretty big in the running community. He announces a ton of races mostly on the west coast though.

I don't mind the change on Rudy announcing. I'll miss him and his "GOOOO" , but it's hard to hear/see what's going on anyway a lot of times. I space out or talk to people anyway so I guess it doesn't matter to me who is up on stage for my overall experience.

I don't mind the change on Rudy announcing. I'll miss him and his "GOOOO" , but it's hard to hear/see what's going on anyway a lot of times. I space out or talk to people anyway so I guess it doesn't matter to me who is up on stage for my overall experience.
I don't know I have never had a hard time seeing the stage. I have really come to love the announcing team that they have and Rudy is a staple in the running community all over the world. I really am not a fan of the change.

He’s pretty big in the running community. He announces a ton of races mostly on the west coast though.

He was the announcer when I did the Orange County Marathon a couple of years ago. I think they even introduced him as the voice of RunDisney that morning. Same "Goooooo!!!!" (but no fireworks for each corral)

I don't know I have never had a hard time seeing the stage. I have really come to love the announcing team that they have and Rudy is a staple in the running community all over the world. I really am not a fan of the change.
Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy him and what he brings to the atmosphere, his energy and voice is memorable. I'm sure I'll miss him. I'm just not upset, but I get why people are as he does bring a great vibe to the races.

I'll withhold judgement about the announcer change until I see/hear who/what is coming next. After as many rD races as I have run, change can be good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter