• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2019

Nope. I avoid math as much as possible in life, but especially while running! Whenever I've been chasing a time goal, I've printed out my mile-split goals to carry with me because my brain can't do numbers while running.
I deal with math every day in my professional life, so during races, I only worry about whether or not my per mile pace is where I want it to be.

Yep, I do math while running too, especially if it's a run I;m not feeling good on.

Yes, and it always fails. For fulls, I make a cheat sheet with up to 5 finish times. For each I have mile pace and what time I should hit 10, 13.1, 20, and 25. It avoids lots of math and lets me know which finish time I should shoot for. It saved my bacon more than once.

My favorite math fail was hitting 25 and thinking "I'm on pace for a 2 minute PR!". About 500 feet later, I realized I'd forgotten about the .2 miles which equals about 2 minutes. So I'm on pace to make or miss a PR by 2 seconds. I managed about a 30 second PR.

I'm back from my reunion, alive and still married. I can't justify a full trip report, but I do have some theme park (non-Disney) and running events to report. More to come.

ATTQOTD-----Math on the course? I do it all the time. Constantly calculating, recalculating, and adjusting paces, times and factoring in velocity, windspeed and cadence count. Feels like I'm in charge of a moon landing exercise. All I'm missing is a slide rule and a pocket protector. Sometimes I'm more exhausted from the mental workout instead of the physical one.

I listen to podcasts and music on regular runs (not races) so I tend to not think about it as much.

I deal with math every day in my professional life, so during races, I only worry about whether or not my per mile pace is where I want it to be.
I also deal with math all day long, so it's a pretty natural tendency for me to fall back on. When running gets tough, I find myself doing weird multiplication or division to keep my mind occupied if my podcast isn't cutting it... or I count by weird intervals (7's, 13's). #teammath

You must be in a very good corral. :)

At Tinker Bell, I didn't even know there WAS a stage or anything going on up at the front until like 20+ minutes after the race started and we finally got moved up where we could see the TV screen that showed it and could hear it.
I’m not usually in a good corral actually. Never did tinker bell or any Disneyland race but at WDW they have the big screens that you can view from.

Yes. Today’s was hypothetical math rationalizing whether signing up for a 50 miler was a mistake, and how much probable time I would save not stopping for bicycles or doing a massive climb to open up the run, or what sort of impact my race being about 4000 feet lower will have on my performance, especially with it also being a Peak week this week. And with all the fake maths I have decided that I can make the 15 minute/mile cut off.

And if not, I’ll get a DNF to go with my DNS trophy collection.

During races one of my buddies and I do a lot of running math. I can tell how hard he's pushing by how long it takes to figure things out.
runDisney fans: race announcer Rudy Novotny has been let go by runDisney.
Yeah I saw that. It's never fun to see someone let go, but at this point I'm guessing the change could go either way. If it's a "I'm a new manager so I need to swap out people so I leave my figerprints on it" decision it could be concerning. If they really do have a new vision that could be interesting. If it's a cost cutting thing, that sucks.
Let’s all keep our fingers crossed that Carissa didn’t get a promotion to race announcer.
Couples are big now, maybe it'll be Carissa and her husband.

I’m not usually in a good corral actually. Never did tinker bell or any Disneyland race but at WDW they have the big screens that you can view from.
Disneyland had screens, but for the last few corrals they were not very visible until you neared the start line.
Yeah those Disneyland screens might have been on another continent for all you could see them in the back corrals. :) I really thought the fireworks they were launching were the only things going on up at the front until we got closer to the start line and you could actually see it (it was my first runDisney race).

I honestly don't remember there being any screens at WDW either at W&D in 2015. I do know there were speakers way in the back that in theory I think were supposed to let us hear what was going on, but I don't know if the weather caused an issue or what (it was the last night time race with the delay and the course shortening), but the speakers in the back weren't working, so it was pretty quiet back there. I think at least maybe at that one we could hear that stuff was going on further up but just the speakers were not functioning until we got closer.

I think change can be good too, but I think letting Rudy go was more of a cost cutting thing than anything. I liked Rudy as a race announcer because he didn't just announce the races, he was around the expo's, he was always stopping to talk to people, etc... Over the last couple of years they let go of Fitz Koehler as the fitness expert (I saw her speak at the 2014 TOT), they let go of the nutrition person, etc... They only one they seem to be keeping is Jeff because he helps bring people into running with his run/walk method and that sells bibs for them.

I think change can be good too, but I think letting Rudy go was more of a cost cutting thing than anything. I liked Rudy as a race announcer because he didn't just announce the races, he was around the expo's, he was always stopping to talk to people, etc...

I never saw him at the expos or talking to people. I had no idea he ever went to the expo until I read someone's comment elsewhere. Did he just wonder around or at some point did he have a booth/area?

All I'm missing is a slide rule and a pocket protector.
This sounds like a safety incident waiting to happen. Having sliced my finger trying to figure out how to use a slide rule, I am sure I would injure myself quickly.

I also deal with math all day long, so it's a pretty natural tendency for me to fall back on. When running gets tough, I find myself doing weird multiplication or division to keep my mind occupied if my podcast isn't cutting it... or I count by weird intervals (7's, 13's). #teammath
I find this a useful technique to look like I am paying attention in meetings while distracting myself so I do not say something I should not.

This sounds like a safety incident waiting to happen. Having sliced my finger trying to figure out how to use a slide rule, I am sure I would injure myself quickly.

This is why you need to carry a running TI-83 in your SPI belt.

My math trick to keep my brain occupied while running is to generate prime numbers. What can be pretty easy while sitting (up to a point) gets real hard real fast for me when running.
Cryptography on the run.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter