The Running Thread - 2021

A run group I am in jokes that you only get called a jogger if you find a dead body. As in newspaper headlines like “Jogger finds body along local trail”. Otherwise, you’re a runner no matter how slowly you go. So whenever I see the word “jogger” it makes me laugh a little. Every now and then someone will come in with a story that starts with “I thought I was going to be a jogger today…”
This is amazing -- thanks for sharing!

Hi all. I'm more of a slow 5k runner but have come to really love it over the last year. Staying in this thread is a way of keeping myself accountable. Don't know if it's mostly just more serious runners in here but if there are other tortoises like me: I'm in love with the Nike run club app guided runs. For someone like me who doesn't have a running group to bolster my motivation most of the time, that virtual coach in my air pods really helps.
Coach Bennett is my favorite. Always back to what is important. For « stories » kind of guided run, I really enjoyed Eliud Kipchoge (Run with Eliud), Joan Benoit Samuelson (Run long with Joanie) and Lopez Lomong (Run with Lopez, three parts or one big one).

How do runs correlate from road to trail? According to my training plan, I have a 5 mile run to do tomorrow, but I'll probably be in the woods. Should I still run my 5 miles as planned? Or should I stick to the prescribed duration of about 55 minutes?

I actually have a 5.5 mile circuit near where I'm going to be. With its 1000 ft ascension, last time it took me 1h40

So out of curiosity I looked at some Hanson's training plans. Yikes! I think the beginner half marathon plan is more than I've ever run for a full marathon/Goofy/Dopey plan! :rotfl:

There are some caveats with the Hansons plan that are in the book, but not shown in the plan section. They set limits on certain runs, types of runs, etc. So it's important to read the book front to back before setting out on a plan from the book. Because depending on your pace, you might have to make adjustments upwards/downwards on the "book plans".

How do runs correlate from road to trail? According to my training plan, I have a 5 mile run to do tomorrow, but I'll probably be in the woods. Should I still run my 5 miles as planned? Or should I stick to the prescribed duration of about 55 minutes?

I actually have a 5.5 mile circuit near where I'm going to be. With its 1000 ft ascension, last time it took me 1h40
View attachment 620039

I'd agree with @garneska. If the intent of the training plan is to not be prepared for a trail race, then definitely set out to do 55 min at the same effort level as the scheduled road run.

There are some caveats with the Hansons plan that are in the book, but not shown in the plan section. They set limits on certain runs, types of runs, etc. So it's important to read the book front to back before setting out on a plan from the book. Because depending on your pace, you might have to make adjustments upwards/downwards on the "book plans".

That makes sense. So much easier to have you figure all that out for me! :-)

Well, I'm headed down this rabbit hole. I ordered the Hanson's HM and marathon books yesterday and will be starting my reading after this weekend.

Coach Bennett is my favorite. Always back to what is important. For « stories » kind of guided run, I really enjoyed Eliud Kipchoge (Run with Eliud), Joan Benoit Samuelson (Run long with Joanie) and Lopez Lomong (Run with Lopez, three parts or one big one).
Thanks!

Sorry if this is the wrong spot for this question. Anyone have any recommendations on insoles for running long distances? Preferably decently priced. Just bought two new pair of shoes for the Dopey (just to make sure I have them and no supply chain issues). Now looking for some insoles to try out in my current shoes and maybe transfer over to the new shoes when it comes break in time.

Sorry if this is the wrong spot for this question. Anyone have any recommendations on insoles for running long distances? Preferably decently priced. Just bought two new pair of shoes for the Dopey (just to make sure I have them and no supply chain issues). Now looking for some insoles to try out in my current shoes and maybe transfer over to the new shoes when it comes break in time.

This is a great place for the question, but I think we’re going to need more information before we can give you informed answers. The biggest question is “why do you want different insoles for the shoes?” What problem are you looking to address by replacing the insoles that came with the shoes? Buying insoles that aren’t specifically targeted to address a specific issue are usually a waste of money, at best, and can actually end up causing new problems, at worst.

This is a great place for the question, but I think we’re going to need more information before we can give you informed answers. The biggest question is “why do you want different insoles for the shoes?” What problem are you looking to address by replacing the insoles that came with the shoes? Buying insoles that aren’t specifically targeted to address a specific issue are usually a waste of money, at best, and can actually end up causing new problems, at worst.

This will be my first full marathon. Ran many half but never a full. My buddy, who has ran several full, told me I should look to get some new insoles as the ones that come with shoes are paper thin and ones with more cushion will help. So was looking to see what I should get. I guess the one issue i hope they would help target is that my lower back will start to hurt after a bit. Not in the middle, but on the sides.

I guess the one issue i hope they would help target is that my lower back will start to hurt after a bit. Not in the middle, but on the sides.

I can't speak to the insoles, but if you are getting pain along the sides of your lower back, that signals muscle pain. Some extra cushion may still do you some good but no amount of cushion will make up for some core work. Our core does so much work running longer distance and having a strong core takes a lot of pressure off your back.

After reading Mark Cucuzzella's book, I stopped using my insoles at all. He makes the point that insoles, outside of specific conditions, do more harm than good because they stop your foot from doing its job. I haven't missed them at all

My favorite race of the year was this morning, Pittsburgh 10 Miler. Near perfect weather: 28 at the start, not a cloud in the sky and no wind. Really enjoyable race and course. Ran 1:04:36. Ten miles is my absolute favorite distance for a race. I'm gonna have to put Cherry Blossom and Broad Street on the bucket list for races and hope the lottery gods work out for them.

How about socks? What are some suggestions for socks for a marathon? I usually wear no show tab socks. But would be okay with mini crew/crew socks if they are a game changer.

How about socks? What are some suggestions for socks for a marathon? I usually wear no show tab socks. But would be okay with mini crew/crew socks if they are a game changer.
This is something you just have to try out in your long runs, it's very unique person-to-person. I can wear any socks, even cotton ones that you buy at Target. I never have problems. But there are many, many runners (including on here) who wouldn't run a step in cotton socks and have one particular brand/blend that is the only thing they can run in. But it's different for everyone.
Shoes are super-important to me, but socks don't seem to matter. I just can't wear the no-show because they are too tight around my ankles and irritate after a while.

on the sock-front.....different socks and even "models" of socks within the same brand can have enormous differences in thickness. And it's not great that running-specific socks can be $10-20/pair (I know that not ALL are, but if you look at like Balega or Feetures, they definitely are. I have had some luck finding "irregular" feetures socks at sierra for about $6/pair, and have stumbled across some random UA running socks at TJ maxx.

@SheHulk is right on that this is something to test on longer runs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter