The Running Thread -- 2022

@DopeyBadger I don't mean to get political (physical fitness and medicine shouldn't be political in the first place!), but something is really bugging me and I have to share this. I went on Twitter to remark to Luke Humphrey, who co-wrote the Hansons Method book with Keith and Kevin Hanson, that his timetable about recovery from a marathon in 3-5 days was spot on. Their book, much like Daniels, is presumably based upon exercise science and not just bro-science. Hence, I was shocked to discover that this man is an anti-masker. His wife even spoke at a school board meeting and publicly stated that making a child go to school with a mask is akin to abuse. If you're not going to believe in basic science, how can I possibly trust their methodology which I assumed was based upon the science of physical fitness. I was going to utilize their training program in my next cycle leading up to a half marathon in April and I now feel thrown for a loop.

I was feeling more normal yesterday. I went into the marathon injured the entire training cycle so i am being very cautious. I did walk 2 miles yesterday. I did walk today a bit but my hip bothered me and my knee a bit (ok the knee hurts slightly all the time). I will only walk at this point till i see the PT. My appointment is also on Monday. After that i am expecting to still take another 2 weeks off from running (even though i want to start now). I am hoping my PT will have some good things to tell me but i am not so sure. She does want me to rest a bit since my knee has been hurting since Labor Day.

@DopeyBadger I don't mean to get political (physical fitness and medicine shouldn't be political in the first place!), but something is really bugging me and I have to share this. I went on Twitter to remark to Luke Humphrey, who co-wrote the Hansons Method book with Keith and Kevin Hanson, that his timetable about recovery from a marathon in 3-5 days was spot on. Their book, much like Daniels, is presumably based upon exercise science and not just bro-science. Hence, I was shocked to discover that this man is an anti-masker. His wife even spoke at a school board meeting and publicly stated that making a child go to school with a mask is akin to abuse. If you're not going to believe in basic science, how can I possibly trust their methodology which I assumed was based upon the science of physical fitness. I was going to utilize their training program in my next cycle leading up to a half marathon in April and I now feel thrown for a loop.

Well, you did start off by going to tell him that his timetable was dead on, so there is that.

I think you'll find plenty of people on this board and others that have had great success with the program. Maybe it's luck, or maybe the program is dead on.

The mask debate is irrelevant to the running plan. He may be an expert in one thing, and not in the other. Knowing and collecting data on how a body responds to exercise, and how to best maximize those efforts is a long way from epidemiology, virology, etc.. I this case, I think the track record of success with the running plan speaks for itself.

Obviously, the final decision is yours alone, just throwing another perspective out there.

Well, you did start off by going to tell him that his timetable was dead on, so there is that.

I think you'll find plenty of people on this board and others that have had great success with the program. Maybe it's luck, or maybe the program is dead on.

The mask debate is irrelevant to the running plan. He may be an expert in one thing, and not in the other. Knowing and collecting data on how a body responds to exercise, and how to best maximize those efforts is a long way from epidemiology, virology, etc.. I this case, I think the track record of success with the running plan speaks for itself.

Obviously, the final decision is yours alone, just throwing another perspective out there.
If you don't mind me asking, have you used either the Hansons Method or the Daniels' Running Formula and what was your experience with either method?

I was feeling more normal yesterday. I went into the marathon injured the entire training cycle so i am being very cautious. I did walk 2 miles yesterday. I did walk today a bit but my hip bothered me and my knee a bit (ok the knee hurts slightly all the time). I will only walk at this point till i see the PT. My appointment is also on Monday. After that i am expecting to still take another 2 weeks off from running (even though i want to start now). I am hoping my PT will have some good things to tell me but i am not so sure. She does want me to rest a bit since my knee has been hurting since Labor Day.
I hope that you have a speedy recovery.

If you don't mind me asking, have you used either the Hansons Method or the Daniels' Running Formula and what was your experience with either method?

I haven't used either. I used Higdon for my first marathon or two, and then started worrying less about speed, and more about miles. To date, I've completed roughly 14 marathons, with a PR of 4:08, so certainly not the pinnacle of human performance.

My statement about the success of the plan is purely anecdotal from reading these boards, and similar boards over the years.

I have been very happy with my recovery from Dopey, though I have not begun running yet. I will start that on Saturday. I did not push in the Marathon. I just did not feel it, so I just cruised and my time made it clear I left a lot on the course. By Monday I was harfky feeling anything and Tuesday felt normal.

Doing Spring Surprise so going to work on speed, my version of speed anyway, over the next 6 weeks. Looking forward to the challenge of the shorter distances of the race weekend. Eager to get started!

I have had similar experiences with some science related to my work...a scientist's results seem reasonable and then I find out that they are into weird conspiracy theories or pseudoscience. It doesn't mean that the original work that I was interested in is wrong but it does mean that I'm going to be taking an extra close look at it to be sure. And I would feel weird referring to their work because I wouldn't want someone else to think I was endorsing that portion of the person's opinions.

I have been very happy with my recovery from Dopey, though I have not begun running yet. I will start that on Saturday. I did not push in the Marathon. I just did not feel it, so I just cruised and my time made it clear I left a lot on the course. By Monday I was harfky feeling anything and Tuesday felt normal.

Doing Spring Surprise so going to work on speed, my version of speed anyway, over the next 6 weeks. Looking forward to the challenge of the shorter distances of the race weekend. Eager to get started!
I have had similar experiences with some science related to my work...a scientist's results seem reasonable and then I find out that they are into weird conspiracy theories or pseudoscience. It doesn't mean that the original work that I was interested in is wrong but it does mean that I'm going to be taking an extra close look at it to be sure. And I would feel weird referring to their work because I wouldn't want someone else to think I was endorsing that portion of the person's opinions.
Moreover, I wrote earlier today that I was waiting two weeks before I begin running again based upon what they wrote in the Hansons Marathon Method book. Is this just nonsense or is this waiting period based upon some sort of science?

I am reading a lot of these posts and I think everyone has made it way too complicated with Daniels charts and Hanson's and Steve Magnus, etc. I am a college coach. Had people come in super slow and end up decent. Had many All-Americans. Do they need to follow Daniels' charts to a "t" and make sure their threshold runs are not too fast and not too slow... not really. It is actually pretty simple and I have a woman I currently train who will be gunning for 1:20 for the Houston Half Marathon this coming weekend. I would give the same advice to someone trying to break 2:30 in the same race...This would be a STARTING point:
Sundays - do a long run of at least 10 miles. Doesn't matter the pace. Just make sure you can at least run the whole thing. Not run/walk it... run it. You can take a quick water break if you need to during the run, but get a good steady run in.
Monday - a "recovery" day from that run. So a 5 miler. Same deal, doesn't matter pace. Whatever pace you feel comfortable doing. At the end of the run, either pick it up the last mile, or do 6x200 on a track with a walk back recovery to do some quick leg turnover.
Tuesday - Always Tempo Tuesday! 1 mile warm up, then 3-8 miles at Tempo pace (and by Tempo, it's easiest to just say a hard sustained effort, where you can say a couple of words if you needed to, but not a whole conversation with someone while you are running). Depending on your fitness level that may only be 3 miles and if you have been training for awhile and are fit, go for up to 8. 1-2 mile cooldown and easy pace.
Wednesday - another "recovery" day from the run. 5-8 miles depending on how you feel from the day prior.
Thursday - Fartlek... 1 mile warm up, then 5 minutes of a hard effort followed by 5 minutes of an easy effort... continuous off and on like that for an hour. As you get fitter, that 5 minutes hard will get you farther!
Friday - another "recovery" day 5-8 miles
Saturday - typically at least 7 miles, but if you feel it will poop you out too much for the next day's long run, then do a little less.

This is kind of the beginner level stuff. If you are feeling good on recovery days, run a little faster. As you get in better shape add in a mile on each day. The woman I am training does a 17 mile long run on Sundays now and anywhere from 70-80 miles a week. Pretty much follows this same sort of pattern every week. Sometimes we do a faster "steady state" run for 8-10 miles instead of a tempo. Sometimes instead of a Fartlek she might do mile repeats on the track, or on a trail. It just depends on the week and what her work schedule looks like, or if the weather is too hot (we are in Texas). So, I think, without overthinking things, this is a good beginner schedule to follow without having to put too much thought into what you are going to do for training, etc. If you want to know more, go ahead and DM me and I can tell you something more specific to what you are trying to accomplish.

I can appreciate the concepts you're putting forward. You're big into an effort based methodology rather than a pace based methodology. Leaving it to the runner on any given day to decide what is or isn't an appropriate pace based on the workout. Despite my heavy reliance on advice I've gathered from Hansons, Daniels, Fitzgerald, etc, I personally use an effort based approach for my own training. I take my easy days easy, I take my long runs at a pace that feels comfortable, and when I run hard, I run hard. But it personally took me years to get to this point. Before that, I didn't have much variation in pace between any of the days. Something of a "PR the day" mindset. Generally, my advice is don't go faster than the scheduled paces (because I don't want you overrunning the workouts), but if you want/need to go slower go for it. If you feel like you can always go faster than the scheduled pace, then prove it in a "B" race and the paces can be adjusted. How much do you think experience plays in being a good judge of effort?

The plan you laid out above boils down to:

M- Easy w/ Strides
T- Something of Substance
W- Easy
R- Something of Substance
F- Easy
Sa- Easy
Su- Long Run

It's a classic >6 day schedule (sometimes a 5-day a week runner could do it too based on their aggressiveness). A similar structure to that of a Hansons plan. But is doing 6-7 days per week really a good beginner schedule?

On your long run suggestion, you say "not run/walk it". Why? What's the justification that it isn't an acceptable strategy? Or is that more specific a suggestion related to your desire for a steady state run?

Do you take into consideration the duration it takes to complete a workout? For instance, the "no less than 10 miles for a LR" is about 70 min or so for the 1:20 runner, and 130 min or so for the 2:30 runner. If they're giving the same effort level, then isn't the 2:30 runner doing a much harder workout? In your view, does that not matter?

Moreover, I wrote earlier today that I was waiting two weeks before I begin running again based upon what they wrote in the Hansons Marathon Method book. Is this just nonsense or is this waiting period based upon some sort of science?

It's multifaceted. There are physiological reasons, there are training load theory reasons, and there are mental reasons.

Research shows that despite feeling ok about 2-5 days after the marathon, if you gave it an "A" level effort there's quite a bit of damage done to the body that still lingers far beyond that time period. From memory, there are biochemical markers that are present as much as 30 days after the marathon event itself. So having some down time allows the body to heal. Likely, but not always, the more you faded during the back half of the marathon despite giving maximal effort, the more damage you likely incurred.

If you subscribe to the idea of training load theory, then in order to have peaks you must have valleys. Allowing the training load to drop during either time off or an extended period of easy running, allows you to have room to grow later in the plan. The idea revolves around peaking. You could come back sooner in training, but it's possible that when aiming to peak for a May race you peak in early April instead. Having stagnation for the end of the training plan and not feeling quite right entering your May race. We can't train at full tilt all the time, so it's good to allow the training load to ebb and flow over the course of a year.

For some, the end of the training plan represents a ton of personal commitment to the time required to complete the training and balance the rest of life. So having some time off after the marathon allows runners to mentally reset and recharge.

Ultimately, you don't HAVE to take two weeks off. You can take a few days. You could take none. Just be gentle to yourself and try not to force anything right away. Allowing some down swings in the training is a good thing.

It's multifaceted. There are physiological reasons, there are training load theory reasons, and there are mental reasons.

Research shows that despite feeling ok about 2-5 days after the marathon, if you gave it an "A" level effort there's quite a bit of damage done to the body that still lingers far beyond that time period. From memory, there are biochemical markers that are present as much as 30 days after the marathon event itself. So having some down time allows the body to heal. Likely, but not always, the more you faded during the back half of the marathon despite giving maximal effort, the more damage you likely incurred.

If you subscribe to the idea of training load theory, then in order to have peaks you must have valleys. Allowing the training load to drop during either time off or an extended period of easy running, allows you to have room to grow later in the plan. The idea revolves around peaking. You could come back sooner in training, but it's possible that when aiming to peak for a May race you peak in early April instead. Having stagnation for the end of the training plan and not feeling quite right entering your May race. We can't train at full tilt all the time, so it's good to allow the training load to ebb and flow over the course of a year.

For some, the end of the training plan represents a ton of personal commitment to the time required to complete the training and balance the rest of life. So having some time off after the marathon allows runners to mentally reset and recharge.

Ultimately, you don't HAVE to take two weeks off. You can take a few days. You could take none. Just be gentle to yourself and try not to force anything right away. Allowing some down swings in the training is a good thing.
My personal focus is on the damage that I assume took place during the course of the marathon. It makes logical sense that prolonged exercise over that duration of time would result in muscle damage that needs to be repaired. I liken it to basic strength training science wherein you are tearing the muscle fibers on a microscopic level. This is why you are not supposed to work a muscle group for at least 48 hours after doing heavy lifting.

I can appreciate the concepts you're putting forward. You're big into an effort based methodology rather than a pace based methodology. Leaving it to the runner on any given day to decide what is or isn't an appropriate pace based on the workout. Despite my heavy reliance on advice I've gathered from Hansons, Daniels, Fitzgerald, etc, I personally use an effort based approach for my own training. I take my easy days easy, I take my long runs at a pace that feels comfortable, and when I run hard, I run hard. But it personally took me years to get to this point. Before that, I didn't have much variation in pace between any of the days. Something of a "PR the day" mindset. Generally, my advice is don't go faster than the scheduled paces (because I don't want you overrunning the workouts), but if you want/need to go slower go for it. If you feel like you can always go faster than the scheduled pace, then prove it in a "B" race and the paces can be adjusted. How much do you think experience plays in being a good judge of effort?

The plan you laid out above boils down to:

M- Easy w/ Strides
T- Something of Substance
W- Easy
R- Something of Substance
F- Easy
Sa- Easy
Su- Long Run

It's a classic >6 day schedule (sometimes a 5-day a week runner could do it too based on their aggressiveness). A similar structure to that of a Hansons plan. But is doing 6-7 days per week really a good beginner schedule?

On your long run suggestion, you say "not run/walk it". Why? What's the justification that it isn't an acceptable strategy? Or is that more specific a suggestion related to your desire for a steady state run?

Do you take into consideration the duration it takes to complete a workout? For instance, the "no less than 10 miles for a LR" is about 70 min or so for the 1:20 runner, and 130 min or so for the 2:30 runner. If they're giving the same effort level, then isn't the 2:30 runner doing a much harder workout? In your view, does that not matter?
The 1:20 runner wouldn't just be running 10 miles. Again, a pretty beginner type of thing for the 10 miles. The people reading this have been running, so they aren't a "from scratch" runner. This is for your basic recreational runner trying to maybe hit a faster time for a 10K or half marathon. So I don't mean a literal beginner from never having run. I was assuming those reading this just competed at Disney and are already in a fair amount of shape. But maybe they haven't done workouts of this nature... just went out and ran a couple of miles, etc. (obviously not everyone reading - some are beyond that for sure!). So, I think you have stuck in your head a person brand new to running... and I mean someone who is maybe new to running but is only at 30 mpw possibly and just goes out on a jog every so often or even every day just not far. Not knowing just a few things to help get a little faster.

And don't do a run/walk workout because it lets you "give in" to that mentality so easily. Like, "oh, I'm tired, I am just gonna start walking." I don't buy into that mentality. If you are that tired, slow down to a shuffle if you need to. Stop and take a swig of water and get back into the run. And you definitely don't want to walk in a steady state run.

I honestly don't know what the Hanson's plan is because I have never read any of their stuff. And maybe nobody on here has either. But this was a quick little bit of info all in one place that might help a few people. Tried to make it super simple and easy to understand. Kind of get out the door and do this. See where it takes you over the next month. Feeling good? Add a mile or two on some of those days. Feeling like you are getting in better shape? Run a little faster and keep the mileage the same. I am a proponent of going on how you feel. Because if you live by the watch you might run yourself in the ground to hit 7 minute pace one day on Tempos and the next week it might feel totally easy. Kind of why I like Fartleks... because you just need to focus on those 5 minutes of hard each time and you totally go on how you feel... doesn't matter the pace, just feeling the run and then you get to recover and do it all over again!

I went to Adams State when Joe Vigil was coaching there, so a lot of what I have come to know was generated by him. Also am friends with Bob Larsen, his approach is a little different than Coach Vigil, but he has some interesting approaches to different types of workouts. Same for Jack Daniels, bits and pieces of his as well. Some things work great with some people, but not with others. I like that by going on feeling a person has the option of pushing themselves a little harder if they feel good that day. I understand your PR it every day mentality that you once had, but I don't find a lot of people try for that at the recreational level of training. If you go that route one day, the next you'll feel battered, and hopefully would learn in that instance that maybe you took it a little too hard the day before.

Racing is so much fun and if you are prepared and you end up running a fast time, it makes it all worthwhile! Hard to take the Disney races too seriously though! You want to high 5 characters and take pictures in the parks!!!!

and I am walking normally once again? How about the rest of you?
I still cannot walk simply because of my blisters. I can’t even put normal shoes on lol. My left foot is doing better but my right foot has a blister on the ball and the heel, which means I am walking weird and is causing strain on my calf. Otherwise I am fine and am itching to ride my Peloton. I meet with my coach tomorrow to discuss next steps. I just read a thread elsewhere where they talked about how getting callouses removed can actually be helpful— I had not been taking care of mine or moisturizing my feet much because I worried that it would make them tender again and worse. But maybe I’ll try it.

And don't do a run/walk workout because it lets you "give in" to that mentality so easily. Like, "oh, I'm tired, I am just gonna start walking." I don't buy into that mentality. If you are that tired, slow down to a shuffle if you need to. Stop and take a swig of water and get back into the run. And you definitely don't want to walk in a steady state run.

While I definitely understand and follow your thoughts even if I don't necessarily agree with every detail, I really don't like this at all. I used to be this way, a long time ago, where I continuously pushed myself to keep running even on easy days. It took me a long, long time to reprogram my brain - both to the idea that I was running too fast and that it's okay to rest. Continuing to push if it isn't a hard running day can be quite harmful to your training.

Again, I definitely get what you are saying. Run easy, then mix 1-2 hard run days, and 1 long run day. But it's not that simple. What's an easy day? What's a good long run pace? You may be coaching someone not to "give in" on their long run, but if you haven't helped them find their ideal pace - the pace that they can actually complete a 10 mile run and have it be beneficial to training, not harmful - then how can you say to keep pushing? There's a reason the 80/20 and similar rules are so popular. Racing is fun yes, but it takes a lot out of your body, so why would you do so much training at race pace? You have to have time to recover. I might argue that someone burning out on a run isn't lazy, they're running too fast and burning out, especially if they don't have guidance for what they should be running. If this continues to happen, it can easily lead to someone burning out on running completely. Cumulative fatigue is a thing - we know this. It's not a matter of "giving in," it's having appropriate training for your body and level of fitness.

I hope this doesn't come across as attacking, either. I think it's an interesting discussion. But as with all things, one-size-fits-all simply doesn't work with running. We would not direct a bodybuilder and an intermediate-level powerlifter to perform the same number of and types of lifts with the same weights. A regular runner at a lower level of fitness that naturally progresses more slowly than an average person may very well need a run/walk pattern to cover the distance. And it's also why we know mileage-based training isn't the best - because some runners may require 2.5 hours using their specific long run pace to cover 10 miles. And 2.5 hours is peak training time. Few people should be running 2.5 hours regularly. So again, I'm interested to hear more about your approach.

Last edited:
I still cannot walk simply because of my blisters. I can’t even put normal shoes on lol. My left foot is doing better but my right foot has a blister on the ball and the heel, which means I am walking weird and is causing strain on my calf. Otherwise I am fine and am itching to ride my Peloton. I meet with my coach tomorrow to discuss next steps. I just read a thread elsewhere where they talked about how getting callouses removed can actually be helpful— I had not been taking care of mine or moisturizing my feet much because I worried that it would make them tender again and worse. But maybe I’ll try it.
Good luck with your recovery. Be careful to not let your feet affect your gait too much because that could cause even worse problems in your hips and/or knees. It's certainly uncomfortable to walk on feet with blisters and calluses, but the recovery from the problems that you might cause to your knees will be much worse. Here's an interesting article about dealing with calluses: https://www.oaktonfootankle.com/blog/post/is-it-safe-to-shave-off-my-calluses.html

Here's an interesting article about dealing with calluses:
Thank you! I would never shave mine off, but I had been avoiding using oil and such on my feet (which is generally a nighttime ritual for me) because I was worried that softening them would make it worse.

The 1:20 runner wouldn't just be running 10 miles. Again, a pretty beginner type of thing for the 10 miles. The people reading this have been running, so they aren't a "from scratch" runner. This is for your basic recreational runner trying to maybe hit a faster time for a 10K or half marathon. So I don't mean a literal beginner from never having run. I was assuming those reading this just competed at Disney and are already in a fair amount of shape. But maybe they haven't done workouts of this nature... just went out and ran a couple of miles, etc. (obviously not everyone reading - some are beyond that for sure!). So, I think you have stuck in your head a person brand new to running... and I mean someone who is maybe new to running but is only at 30 mpw possibly and just goes out on a jog every so often or even every day just not far. Not knowing just a few things to help get a little faster.
I honestly don't know what the Hanson's plan is because I have never read any of their stuff. And maybe nobody on here has either. But this was a quick little bit of info all in one place that might help a few people. Tried to make it super simple and easy to understand. Kind of get out the door and do this. See where it takes you over the next month. Feeling good? Add a mile or two on some of those days. Feeling like you are getting in better shape? Run a little faster and keep the mileage the same. I am a proponent of going on how you feel. Because if you live by the watch you might run yourself in the ground to hit 7 minute pace one day on Tempos and the next week it might feel totally easy. Kind of why I like Fartleks... because you just need to focus on those 5 minutes of hard each time and you totally go on how you feel... doesn't matter the pace, just feeling the run and then you get to recover and do it all over again!

Thanks for clarifying. That makes far more sense. The runners in this forum run the gamut. So you've got the one's you're referencing that are looking to improve and are coming off something basic, but there are also plenty of "from scratch" runners. Ones that have only ever done a 5k as their longest race yet, and some even have yet to run a 5k. So I could see how that seeing the suggestions of 5-10 miles etc. for a beginner might seem overwhelming, or the idea of 6-7 days per week would be a bit too much too soon. The beginners you are referring to would be those more new to structured training with different effort levels, but is currently doing 30 mpw or 6-8 hrs of running as it is. Makes so much more sense.

I understand your PR it every day mentality that you once had, but I don't find a lot of people try for that at the recreational level of training. If you go that route one day, the next you'll feel battered, and hopefully would learn in that instance that maybe you took it a little too hard the day before.

Guess I'm just hard headed, LOL. I did a "PR the day" mindset for about 3 years and 2625 miles. Glad I finally learned otherwise.

I went to Adams State when Joe Vigil was coaching there, so a lot of what I have come to know was generated by him. Also am friends with Bob Larsen, his approach is a little different than Coach Vigil, but he has some interesting approaches to different types of workouts. Same for Jack Daniels, bits and pieces of his as well.

That's cool. I just did my first Vigil Miles workout a few weeks ago (link). Love to listen to him talk about running on the youtube videos I've found.

Sundays - do a long run of at least 10 miles. Doesn't matter the pace. Just make sure you can at least run the whole thing. Not run/walk it... run it. You can take a quick water break if you need to during the run, but get a good steady run in.

Well I'm already out. These days I only do run/walk. Cool. Guess I get to sleep in instead of running on Sunday*.

*I wasn't actually planning on running Sunday anyway, I don't run on weekends if I can avoid it

To all you you feel great after race weekend.....please go immediately and pound sand. I jest (to a point). I am feeling the worst after any of my previous marathons with new and exciting places to hurt. I have a strained left achilles (never had that before) and tendons/muscles on my right big toe/foot hurt. So basically walking is a pain, and Disney is not the place to recover from that.

I got home yesterday and plan to do nothing at all til next week. Then, I will hop on the trainer for the rest of January and work on finding a runner-focused weight training plan that I can stick with that won't kill me. If anyone has any recommendations, I'd like to hear them.

I will run when the spirit moves me. I'm giving my running brain and body time off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter