The Running Thread--2024

So if anyone else has ifit... Ifit has a great Challenge this month... if u complete one of their Ready, Set, Go challenges u get an entry into Boston Marathon!! So I have started the walking challenge and the strength challenge today in it today. I figure I have a better shot winning this than getting a BQ.. lol.

So if anyone else has ifit... Ifit has a great Challenge this month... if u complete one of their Ready, Set, Go challenges u get an entry into Boston Marathon!! So I have started the walking challenge and the strength challenge today in it today. I figure I have a better shot winning this than getting a BQ.. lol.
I can’t find information on this. Do you really get a guaranteed entry for next year?

Seems like an April Fool's joke.

ETA: Although I guess in the past they did have some entries as an official sponsor.
EETA: And now I see the post on Facebook that says 1 entry will be up for grabs for next year.

The cynic in me always answers first! Sorry to doubt you @DisneyMountainWoman

Last edited:

Seems like an April Fool's joke.

ETA: Although I guess in the past they did have some entries as an official sponsor.
EETA: And now I see the post on Facebook that says 1 entry will be up for grabs for next year.

The cynic in me always answers first! Sorry to doubt you @DisneyMountainWoman

I have iFit and am signed up for the challenge. It's not an April Fool's joke, but not everyone who does the challenge will get into Boston. They're doing a drawing among everyone who completes it and one person will get in.

ETA: They've had some kind of partnership for a while now, as several of their trainers have been filmed while running the race. They take those and break them down into 4-6 workouts usually. They have a deal with a lot of the majors and also have London, Chicago, NYC (and probably a few others I've forgotten) on the platform. I do them back-to-back for long runs during Dopey training, since you can use SmartAdjust to match your paces.

I have iFit and am signed up for the challenge. It's not an April Fool's joke, but not everyone who does the challenge will get into Boston. They're doing a drawing among everyone who completes it and one person will get in.

ETA: They've had some kind of partnership for a while now, as several of their trainers have been filmed while running the race. They take those and break them down into 4-6 workouts usually. They have a deal with a lot of the majors and also have London, Chicago, NYC (and probably a few others I've forgotten) on the platform. I do them back-to-back for long runs during Dopey training, since you can use SmartAdjust to match your paces.
I think I’ve ran all three of those. It may be the only way I get to run the Boston course. 😁

I am not sure i should post this, but i had my A2M shots today in my knee. It is still PRP (plasma rich platelettes) but goes through a different filter. Honestly not sure the actual difference but I received two injections. One in the top of knee where i had gotten the 3 hyralonic acid shots to help the arthritis and then second went into the meniscus. The point of the second is to try to hold the meniscus together to stop the extruding. I had done a few short runs but my knee started to bother me in the meniscus area (a lot since i could not walk without a limp) so i shut down the running till i had this injection. Right now the running is shut down for another week for sure.

I am not sure if anyone is considering this procedure so maybe i will be kind with my words. The first thing is I know this is less painful than surgery and recovery. The second is I also know the worst that can happen with this procedure is I don't get any relief, unlike surgery which has the potential to make it worse. However the dr said it would be uncomfortable and sore for a few days. I had it done this morning. I will say during the procedure I started to get sick. I started sweating and turned white. I also completely stopped squeezing Bert's hand because i was feeling too sick. Thankfully the dr finished before i passed out. I did have to sit there a little bit to recover. The good thing is it means my body is having a reaction so hopefully it will do it good. Then i went to see my PT who did a few exercises, she said this helps and she does it with her elite athletes. The shot itself was painful but you do get lidocaine. However it hurts pretty good now. I will leave it at that. If you all want more details will go into it.

Hopefully i can start running again. I did sign up for the W&D Half and plan to sign up for MW Half.
I'm so sorry that you're going through this. I hope that you feel better soon and can enjoy running once again.

Update on my knee. Thankfully it is better than yesterday, though i really had one way to go and that was up. I still can't put a lot of weight on it so i am using my crutches. The benefit today is in certain positions it has stopped hurting and i can lay peacefully. I am able to bend it further. Straightening it is still an issue. It hurts doing that and hurts if i keep it straight. I try to do that periodically. Unfortunately bed is the most comfortable place for me to be.

i need to be able to walk without crutches by Saturday when i go visit mom. She was in the hospital all of last week and moved to a different Rehab place on Friday. It is pretty far from me but seems to be a better facility. I have not mentioned my knee to her since i had the tear right after her major surgery. She knows in general my knee is not good but not how bad it really is.

March Totals

Running

Runs: 18
Distance: 101.1 miles
Time: 17:12:07
Avg HR: 146
Avg Pace: 10:17

Yay! 100 miles in a month! I haven't done that since December 2022 before Dopey in January 2023. I hope to keep it up - I need to find a fall marathon to do - trying to decide between Presque Isle in Erie in September or just my local marathon on the trail I run a lot. The first is new and probably a bit more interesting but requires travel and will be hotter; the second has questionable weather (early November in PA) and is fairly boring (just on a rails-to-trails, no crowds, etc.) but requires only a 20-minute drive from my house.

Walking
Walks: 19
Distance: 17.87 miles
Time: 5:46:00

My lab is super happy but has now started annoying me every day to go walk, haha! I don't mind, but this week we're having torrential rains and haven't been able to get out for two days.

Strength Training
Sessions: 12
Time: 4:35:46

I'm happy with where I'm at, so just trying to maintain three sessions/week.

I think I’ve ran all three of those. It may be the only way I get to run the Boston course. 😁
SAME!

Update on my knee. Thankfully it is better than yesterday, though i really had one way to go and that was up. I still can't put a lot of weight on it so i am using my crutches. The benefit today is in certain positions it has stopped hurting and i can lay peacefully. I am able to bend it further. Straightening it is still an issue. It hurts doing that and hurts if i keep it straight. I try to do that periodically. Unfortunately bed is the most comfortable place for me to be.

i need to be able to walk without crutches by Saturday when i go visit mom. She was in the hospital all of last week and moved to a different Rehab place on Friday. It is pretty far from me but seems to be a better facility. I have not mentioned my knee to her since i had the tear right after her major surgery. She knows in general my knee is not good but not how bad it really is.

Big hugs to you for all of this. I really hope it will be worth the pain and that you'll see some long term improvements with your knee.

trying to decide between Presque Isle in Erie in September or just my local marathon on the trail I run a lot
I did Erie in 2021. It's probably not much different than your local trail. There are only a few places where there's actual spectators and it's pretty much the same scenery the whole race. The weather is probably going to be hot too, it was in the mid 70s during the second loop when I did it. The course is dead flat though, if that's something you'd want (plus you can stand on a beach minutes before the race starts).

If you're looking for another PA fall marathon, Steamtown in Scranton is great. It's a fast course but can be tough based off where the hills are. For a small race that's all-volunteer run, the organization with it is amazing.

@garneska I hope your knee continues improving, and you see long term improvements so all the pain is worth it.

I'm packing for Washington DC, where I'll only be running one race, and I'm really missing the "security" that come with packing for Dopey, where it's perfectly acceptable to bring so much extra clothing that'll never get worn, and multiple pairs of shoes.

If you're looking for another PA fall marathon, Steamtown in Scranton is great. It's a fast course but can be tough based off where the hills are. For a small race that's all-volunteer run, the organization with it is amazing.
A colleague of mine did Steamtown last fall and it was largely downhill...she got a great time but her quads were TOAST for days. If you look at that one, make sure you practice long-term downhill slopes.

More shoe talk, anyone?! :rotfl:

First, I am pleased to report that my plan of gradually moving from painful dress shoes to comfortable running shoes paired with dress pants and suits in the office has leveled up from white Keds to all-black Kinvaras without issue so far. :thumbsup2

Second, I took a chance on some discounted ASICS Cumulus 25s and WOW! I think I love them! They’re weird: there is, indeed, a ton of cushion and stack height in them, and the interior feels absolutely plush, but I’m finding the soles to be surprisingly responsive. What I’m giving up in ground feel is more than offset in easy transitions from walk to run and back, and just the right amount of pop. I’ve only got less than 20 miles on them so far, and haven’t done more than a few miles at a time, but I’m feeling optimistic that this might be my long run shoe. I need to decide soon, though, because the 26s are out and they’re different - I’ll need to stock up on the 25s while I still can.

Day 2 update, because day 1 I spent in bed. Today I walked without crutches. I took a shower and worked from the chair. Took Whisky to the dog park, I was slow but moving. Sat in the dog park while there was a lot of running. Off tramadol and now on tylnelol. Still hurts but obviously a lot better. I am extremely fatigued though. I took not 1 but 2 naps today, and I slept fairly good last night.

Day 2 update, because day 1 I spent in bed. Today I walked without crutches. I took a shower and worked from the chair. Took Whisky to the dog park, I was slow but moving. Sat in the dog park while there was a lot of running. Off tramadol and now on tylnelol. Still hurts but obviously a lot better. I am extremely fatigued though. I took not 1 but 2 naps today, and I slept fairly good last night.
Relentless forward progress.

It'll all be worth it if it gets you back to running/normal activity. Hang in there!

Well, I've been taking a break from running since C2C. Partly due to some hip issues but mostly because I am in a slump. But today my hometown race announced this year will be the last year of the race. It was my very first half marathon many years ago and used to be a pretty decent sized destination race. But much like many other races across the country it has seen a fall off in participants dating back pre-covid. Covid was most likely the last straw.

So here I am signing up for the half which is 6 weeks out. I'm a sucker for nostalgia and running in my feels so I'll say goodbye to my very first finish line and probably get teary eyed running around Lambeau Field (wouldn't be the first time). I've only been averaging about 15-18 mpw for the last couple months so it's not an ideal timeframe. Anyone have any good 6 week plans they've done? I don't even know what I should run these next few weeks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter