The Soarin question..

To all of those who say they feel secure in their seat, I totally disagree. That is what really bugs me, I feel like I could fall out at any time. I think the seats should have been made deeper, and they should have a bar instead of the seatbelt.

I was wondering about this also, so I just watched the you tube video as someone suggested. It looks like a smooth ride, nothing daredevil. I think I will try it!
Great suggestion!!!
Also- is there a hidden Mickey in the fireworks scene? :)

Ok...I hate heights. I ride Soarin', and love it. BUT....the first few times I rode it, I will admit to using that middle strap! Put my seat belt through it as if I was a little tiny kid! Then, once I got more used to the movement and the feeling of being high, I didn't thread the belt through, but I did hold onto it!! Yeah, go ahead, snicker!!! Now? No problem at all. There is a difference in feeling depending on which row you get..row 1 moves much higher, row 3 stays lower, so you don't have the swooping feeling as you ascend.
For those that say it's a kiddie ride? Um, no, not really. I rode it with my then 8 y/o dd, her friend and friend's mother. The other mother was afraid her dd would get motion sickness, so medicated her. Well, as anyone who has ridden Soarin' knows, there is a ton of signage as to what is going to happen. My friend was as white as a sheet when we got off. Her dd? Fine. But, mom complained to me that I should have told her 'how high it goes'! She was sweating and white!!! I thought she was going to pass out!!! Man, I had no idea!

I agree with Maxiesmom: I don't feel secure in those narrow seats either. I always felt like I was falling.
So, this trip, I am opting out of riding it for the first time. I have ridden it 2 times before, but never really felt comfortable.
I thought, why put myself through this again, so I am very comfortable with not riding it this time. If I want to see the film, I can go to utube and check it out.
I honestly never relaxed during the film and was white knuckled, so it is so not worth it to me.

Ok..trying to decide if I should keep my Soarin fp. Has anyone rode it that was afraid of heights?

My DH is super scared of heights...like 4th rung of the ladder and shaking in his boots kind of scared...and he LOVED it! The new version is AWESOME! The seats feel secure to us and it is hard to see the ground because you are surrounded by the screen. The ride DOES simulate heights though as you "fly" over various cities in the world. The back row is the lowest to the ground after it is lifted so maybe ask the cast member on duty for back row if you decide to go for it.

If you experience long lasting anxiety after heights situations, I would not recommend it. My DH is fine once he gets back down on solid ground and only has anxiety and fear when he is actually up high and not after but I know some people hang on to the anxiety for a long time after. This ride gave him no trouble during the show but everyone is different.

To all of those who say they feel secure in their seat, I totally disagree. That is what really bugs me, I feel like I could fall out at any time. I think the seats should have been made deeper, and they should have a bar instead of the seatbelt.
use the middle strap

The fear of heights is a very real thing. Please, if you do not feel comfortable once you get it the seat, ask the CM to let you out. My sister-in-law has done it on Soarin' twice and I have seen many others do it. Nobody is going to laugh at you.

LOL! ok thank you..I think I'll pass because I can not even do most balconies!

I am also terrified of heights, avoid balconies unless I am away from the railing and will not step foot out onto the observation deck at CG. I had to go back to our table inside and could not watch my husband hold my little DGD out there. I felt like I would faint it was that bad. I can go on Soarin, and I love the attraction, but I will share with you that for many times, I used that seat belt and slipped it through the center thing. I also held on for dear life! The attraction is a favorite of mine, but I admit that I needed that security seat belt for kids for a long time.

I rode this with someone afraid of heights. When the ride was over she was ready to ride again. I think the fear of the unknown was worse than the ride. Yes, the ride does lift you up but when the film starts you forget the ride up. The seat has handles and you can lean back in chair. Go and enjoy the ride...just once.

My sister came on with me and is able to ride it too. She is afraid of bumps, so I had to hold her hand all through Pirates. Between her fear of bumps and mine of heights, we made quite a pair in DLR! LOL!

Thank you so much! I'm planning on riding it as of now. I plan on coming back on here and letting everyone know how I do! My DH thinks I can do it and he knows how bad my fear is. I trust him. Thanks everyone! Oh btw..I won't be there for a few more weeks. First week of March.

I hope that you enjoy it!

To all of those who say they feel secure in their seat, I totally disagree. That is what really bugs me, I feel like I could fall out at any time. I think the seats should have been made deeper, and they should have a bar instead of the seatbelt.[/QUOT
I respect your opinion but i have never felt that i was not secure on soaring....

I did. Didn't help at all.

I get it. The thing about fears is that they do not need ot make sense to anyone else. I have been on the attraction for over 11 years and there are times when that middle strap gets used. I like bars across my lap.

My best friend and I are heading to Epcot in May. She gets motion sickness pretty badly on simulated rides (nothing that I can recall at Disney, but at Universal, she can't stand the likes of Transformers, or the Harry Potter ride in the castle) and even sometimes has to close her eyes in 3D movies. She does well on Space Mountain and other rollercoasters.

Does anyone with motion sickness have any advice for Soarin'? She's willing to give it a try, but we're nervous that she'll feel sick the rest of the day. My memory of Soarin' isn't quite sufficient from my visit in 2012 to remember!

My best friend and I are heading to Epcot in May. She gets motion sickness pretty badly on simulated rides (nothing that I can recall at Disney, but at Universal, she can't stand the likes of Transformers, or the Harry Potter ride in the castle) and even sometimes has to close her eyes in 3D movies. She does well on Space Mountain and other rollercoasters.

Does anyone with motion sickness have any advice for Soarin'? She's willing to give it a try, but we're nervous that she'll feel sick the rest of the day. My memory of Soarin' isn't quite sufficient from my visit in 2012 to remember!

The 3D movies mess with me, I have to look away for part of them. But that is not how Soarin affects me at all. Maybe have your friend take a dramamine for that day?

The 3D movies mess with me, I have to look away for part of them. But that is not how Soarin affects me at all. Maybe have your friend take a dramamine for that day?

She typically will wear one of the behind-ear patches when we go to parks, and the poor thing still winds up sick! I think she may try just dramamine instead and see if that makes a difference! Thank you!

I was wondering about this also, so I just watched the you tube video as someone suggested. It looks like a smooth ride, nothing daredevil. I think I will try it!
Great suggestion!!!
Also- is there a hidden Mickey in the fireworks scene? :)
Yes, there is a pretty obvious hidden Mickey in the fireworks scene.

Ok..trying to decide if I should keep my Soarin fp. Has anyone rode it that was afraid of heights? I'm very scared of heights and afraid of falling but this ride looks so awesome! The part that scares me is that there's only a belt and nothing to hold onto? Is this correct?
I don't ride any roller coasters at all and this would be as major as I would get..lol!
Thanks for any input.
30 days!

My husband is afraid of heights and he manages just fine on Soarin' and we are usually in the first row!! ....please at least try just once! You may be pleasantly surprised! but you will never know if you don't try!

Reading through this thread I have to say I'm glad it isn't just me! I'm not a fan of heights but I've ridden Soarin' many times and it always makes me very anxious. It's beautiful but I do panic a bit and have to keep telling myself it's a short ride. I know you feel you are much higher than you actually are, but I'm one of the people holding on for dear life afraid I'm about to fall out!! We are going in a few weeks, so I'm really wanting to see the new version but dreading it at the same time. I can't do big rides or coasters at all. I'm actually thinking of skipping POTC because of that drop..... I hate that drop but love the rest of the ride!!

My mom is afraid of heights and had no problem with this ride.

To be honest she has never had a problem with ride motion types of rides that have simulated being high. She finds it comforting to know that while it looks high she knows she's in a seat and not really up in the air. On the other hand take off and landings in an actual airplane means she's crushing the hand of whomever is next to her. She absolutely panics and let's not even talk about turbulence. Also since it's dark in the theatre she can't SEE how far up she is so the actuality of being raised up in the air doesn't bother her either, whereas the sky tram at the San Diego Zoo is an experience I, being seated next to her, NEVER want to repeat.

Soarin is actually her favorite ride and it's because it's the only way she would ever get to experience this because you couldn't pay her enough to actually get on a hand glider, LOL.

My mom is afraid of heights and had no problem with this ride.

To be honest she has never had a problem with ride motion types of rides that have simulated being high. She finds it comforting to know that while it looks high she knows she's in a seat and not really up in the air. On the other hand take off and landings in an actual airplane means she's crushing the hand of whomever is next to her. She absolutely panics and let's not even talk about turbulence. Also since it's dark in the theatre she can't SEE how far up she is so the actuality of being raised up in the air doesn't bother her either, whereas the sky tram at the San Diego Zoo is an experience I, being seated next to her, NEVER want to repeat.

Soarin is actually her favorite ride and it's because it's the only way she would ever get to experience this because you couldn't pay her enough to actually get on a hand glider, LOL.

Too funny. I think I'm just like your mum. I hate take off, landings and turbulence in planes. Seriously the worst feeling ever! Glad to hear Soarin' is not like any of those!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter