The Stroller Debate

Though I've seen very few people do this, we've always just done one single and baby wore for the other child. It seems like everyone always says to have strollers for both. I found it easy to just have one stroller that either child can fit in. (We liked having one that could recline flat in case the younger child was picky about napping). My husband did not babywear so it was just me and it wasn't an issue. We had one trip with an 11 month old who was in a sling most of the time. He wasn't walking yet and he wasn't exactly used to a stroller too. We did 7 different theme parks over 8 days and pushed it - and I managed just fine. (Our middle child was in the stroller and our 6 year old walked fast to keep up with us quite well).

Double Stroller's are not that different dimensionally than singles these days...

City mini GT single width- 24.21 inches
City mini GT double width - 29.75 inches

A difference of 5.54 inches. While that is obviously noticeable, its not exactly 'double' the single width etc.. I am a huge Baby Jogger fan and the City Mini GT in particular. Having had literally 20+ different strollers over recent years, this is the best for us and our application by a country mile. Not cheap by any means, but given the dimension differences being what they are above, having the option of having both kids relax and giving 'you' some time without having to carry one is a huge plus in my opinion. The only complaint from my wife is that she cannot fit in it! haha ;o)

Any opinions on tandem vs. side-by-side? Thank you all for your suggestions! :)

I preferred tandem...but now my son is nearly three. The weight of him in the front makes it a pain to push- specifically when turning. We're now side-by-side-ers. The Zoe Double Stroller is the best!! It's basically a City Mini Double but it weighs only 17 lbs!!! It has a backpack carry bag!! Love it!! Perfect for disney & the airports.
http://www.zoestrollers.com/c/double-strollers

Though I've seen very few people do this, we've always just done one single and baby wore for the other child. It seems like everyone always says to have strollers for both. I found it easy to just have one stroller that either child can fit in. (We liked having one that could recline flat in case the younger child was picky about napping). My husband did not babywear so it was just me and it wasn't an issue. We had one trip with an 11 month old who was in a sling most of the time. He wasn't walking yet and he wasn't exactly used to a stroller too. We did 7 different theme parks over 8 days and pushed it - and I managed just fine. (Our middle child was in the stroller and our 6 year old walked fast to keep up with us quite well).

I feel like this might be us. We baby wear a lot - and my husband is happy to as well (helps I bought him a Star Wars KP!) We have a reclining stroller with a decent amount of storage underneath - it's not PERFECT - but it's decent considering it will save us hundreds (whether buy or rent for our 9 day trip) to just live with what we have. We will have an 11.5 month old and 2.75 year old. Even the toddler has been asking for ups lately... though I think there is a limit! lol!

I feel like this might be us. We baby wear a lot - and my husband is happy to as well (helps I bought him a Star Wars KP!) We have a reclining stroller with a decent amount of storage underneath - it's not PERFECT - but it's decent considering it will save us hundreds (whether buy or rent for our 9 day trip) to just live with what we have. We will have an 11.5 month old and 2.75 year old. Even the toddler has been asking for ups lately... though I think there is a limit! lol!

A warning - make sure the 2 year old is used to the stroller and will sit in it before going. On one trip, the youngest was about 2.75 as well and refused to sit in the stroller. He wasn't used to it and hated it. He also refused to walk. I hadn't carried him in the sling for over a year so I wasn't used to it. Luckily, I brought the sling since that was the only way we could manage but it was a lot of work! Hubby took turns carrying him too but wouldn't wear the sling so I did a lot of it. We made sure to practice with the stroller when we went back a little under a year later. I had to teach him to get him used to the stroller enough for our next trip. It went much better the next time around.

A warning - make sure the 2 year old is used to the stroller and will sit in it before going. On one trip, the youngest was about 2.75 as well and refused to sit in the stroller. He wasn't used to it and hated it. He also refused to walk. I hadn't carried him in the sling for over a year so I wasn't used to it. Luckily, I brought the sling since that was the only way we could manage but it was a lot of work! Hubby took turns carrying him too but wouldn't wear the sling so I did a lot of it. We made sure to practice with the stroller when we went back a little under a year later. I had to teach him to get him used to the stroller enough for our next trip. It went much better the next time around.

Thank you for the warning! It's been a little while since he was in it - though he did use it a fair amount at disneyland last year...

I am bringing my ERGO but we are also renting a double stroller. I figure the $80 for the 7 days we will have it is totally worth it. It means I wont have to bring my stroller from home (Alaska) and when DD and I start to die from the heat, I can put her in the stroller vs wearing her in temps neither of us are used to. It also gives my 6 yr old a place to take a breather when she gets tired which means we can do a little more time in the parks.

Another vote for the city mini GT double. I found a great deal on it before our last Disney trip with the intention of selling it after we got back. It quickly replaced our larger tandem stroller and we now use it all the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter