The Vaccine Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that's what they are going to do when they restart in the states, they are going to have a lot of cancellations. Other than die hard cruisers, who's going to pay essentially the same prices as before for this experience? Plus, even with all this testing and mandatory vaccines, they will still require masks. They will still have limited activities.

Also the temperature checks is got to be the absolute biggest waste of time and effort of anything with this pandemic. Most people who get infected with COVID don't even get a fever. Many don't even have symptoms. And even if they do, the fever is gone by taking a couple of Advil. It's stupid. Of course, that's only one of the stupid things that have now become part of the new normal.

I agree with that. It won't go over well here and a lot will cancel especially since by the time they can even sail here there will be so many other places to vacation with little to no restrictions or masks ( or only indoors). No way people are gonna spend that much money for all that hassle.

I always thought that if all cruise lines came forward with a similar plan (involving an emergency plan if there is one or multiple cases), the CDC would authorize them to sail again.

But currently, it is not the case and I am getting a little annoyed with certain cruise lines that are whining a lot publicly but not coming forward with anything that would make them look like they actually want to try to protect their guests.

I wouldn't be surprised that they aren't because they know that all those restrictions and rules won't help them actually fill the ships to whatever capacity they would be allowed and could easily cost them more money than make anything. And its not worth the risk if an outbreak would happen with all the rules.

Yes, you had a great experience, but it was not the same experience. Just a few differences:

1.) Depending on the state you came from, you may have had to quarantine upon return, take a Covid test, or both.
2.) You had temperature checks, where you could be denied entry into the Park, restaurants, and even Disney Springs as a whole. While you wouldn't be forced to quarantine, what are you going to do?
3.) You had to wear masks everywhere (even outdoors) with limited exceptions, which is actually more restrictive than many state regulations. Until recently, you even had to wear masks when getting your photos taken.
4.) You had to make reservations to enter a park.
5.) No park hopping.
6.) Limited capacity for sit-down restaurants, and choices overall for restaurants.
7.) Severely limited live entertainment options (e.g., no fireworks, no night shows, no large parades, no character photo ops, no live shows, etc.)
8.) Very limited hours.
9.) No fast passes.

Yet, despite all those restrictions and limitations, you had a blast.

As for the new UK cruise:

1.) Vaccine - if you have a vaccine already, you're not really worried about getting the vaccine. If you haven't, well, yes you may stress and you may cancel. But there will be a significant portion of the population that will have the vaccine (especially towards the end of summer).
2.) Covid tests - this is similar to temperature checks at WDW as you may be denied entry if you have a high temperature.
3.) Quarantine in room - At WDW they didn't quarantine you, but you did have limited options on what you could do. You can't enter Disney Springs, you can't enter the parks, and you can't enter restaurants. I suppose you could go to the hotel shop, or the pool, but your options for other activities are otherwise severely limited. Of course, your chances of being quarantined are much less than at WDW if the crew is all vaccinated, and everyone on the ship is vaccinated (save for children) and everyone has a Covid test.
4.) New activities. Disney said they are going to do some new activities, and I believe them. At WDW, yes, they did get rid of a lot of benefits, but out of that, they had random character greetings, some ridiculously short waits, new parades (well cavalcades), and just a new way to see WDW. Crowds were severely reduced for that time of the year.

I think people will still have fun, despite the restrictions and limitations - so long as they are not expecting the same experience Pre-Covid and have an open mind.
Yes, but I wasn't confined to a ship. I don't care about entertainment at the park. I care about crowds and lines and there was none of those. I also didn't have to worry about testing positive for Covid or someone at the resort testing positive or having my vacation cut short because of an outbreak.

I've never been able to eat at WDW without reservations regardless of what the capacity is so nothing new there.

The limited hours could have cared less. I'm a rope dropper. I have never been to a park in the evening.

Having a temperature check is nothing like having a covid test. If you think that you've never had a covid test. If I had a high temp I'd feel like crap and wouldn't want to go to the park anyway so that's not even relevant. You could test positive for covid and be completely asymptomatic. The temp checks are all theatre in my opinion.

No quarantine or covid tests in my state, but I doubt many people comply with those anyway.

The only negative thing about my WDW trips has been the mask. I hate masks and I find them useless, but I'm a rule follower and complied with all the rules.

I also got some really great discounts on my rooms over the last year. In August I was upgraded from CSR to a one-bedroom at Riviera. If DCL wants to give me 40% off my cruise I'd consider it, but DCL is already way overpriced. I would never pay DCL prices for that type of experience.

To each their own. I hope you have a great cruise.

I don't know anything about semiconductors. I just know they something to do with the rental car shortage. If you need to rent a car don't wait until the last minute. I learned that last week.
TSMC secured substantial government subsidies to build their plant in AZ. (Scheduled for completion in 2024)

I work in the semiconductor industry (20+ years as a designer, now senior mgmt in a large US chip supplier). Fabs are outrageously expensive to build and maintain. The state of the art moves very quickly, and suppliers have to continuously invest in infrastructure to maintain a competitive advantage. Semiconductor fabrication also uses very toxic materials in the fab process. Lots of heavy metals and other chemicals that you do _not_ want in your water supply. So, environmental costs are also quite large. As an example, Intel (not who I work for) has struggled to maintain competitiveness and will actually use TSMC as a supplier for chips in 2022.

During the height of the pandemic a lot of customers reduced their orders to chip suppliers, who in turn reduced their orders to fabs. As a result the fabs slowed production and shut down lines to maintain costs. I should note that the automotive sector is the largest user of semiconductors. Your car is jam-packed with processing power. Auto sales go down, chip orders go down, and so on. Now that the market is picking back up foundries are ramping production, but delivery times from start of fab to chips in the customers hands can be 5-6 months.

So, to finally get to the point, car rental agencies sold off their stock of autos in the middle of the pandemic. Now, as travel is picking up they have very limited stock to rent. They are placing orders with auto manufacturers, but they are delayed due to chip shortages. The problem is particularly bad in HI. In the mainland you can move cars around between rental offices. In HI the cars just aren't available.

Sorry for the vaccine diversion

I wouldn't be surprised that they aren't because they know that all those restrictions and rules won't help them actually fill the ships to whatever capacity they would be allowed and could easily cost them more money than make anything. And its not worth the risk if an outbreak would happen with all the rules.

I guess we'll see what happens... But I have absolutely no doubt that the ships are going be filled at max (allowed) capacity even with mandatory vaccination.

In my province, they have reached their 75% vaccination goals in all categories a few weeks ago --except for adults with no chronical conditions/not working in healthcare or vulnerable crowds between age 18 to 60 years old, but only because they are not even eligible for vaccination yet-- and in other countries, vaccination is even more popular...

By the time cruise ships are allowed to sail, so many guests will meet the criterias...

I guess we'll see what happens... But I have absolutely no doubt that the ships are going be filled at max (allowed) capacity even with mandatory vaccination.

In my province, they have reached their 75% vaccination goals in all categories a few weeks ago --except for adults with no chronical conditions/not working in healthcare or vulnerable crowds between age 18 to 60 years old, but only because they are not even eligible for vaccination yet-- and in other countries, vaccination is even more popular...

By the time cruise ships are allowed to sail, so many guests will meet the criterias...

I am more referring to all the rules and restrictions once on board they will be what turns people away.

I work in the semiconductor industry (20+ years as a designer, now senior mgmt in a large US chip supplier).

Hubby and I too. I'm in verification though at various large companies and a start-up. Can't believe it's been 20+ years.

I am more referring to all the rules and restrictions once on board they will be what turns people away.

Again, we'll see.

I don't think my family is the only who is so used to all the masking and health screenings that they won't feel like it makes much of a difference. We'll just be happy to be there.

Anyone else waiting on FDA approval before getting a vaccine? Currently, they are only approved for emergency use.

No, because I understand that the longer people wait to get it the more chances variants will have to mutate and spread, rendering the vaccine less effective.

I also understand that these vaccines have been fully vetted and tested by people far more qualified than me to make those calls, and that emergency use authorization is an extremely common first step in the midst of a medical emergency.

Anyone else waiting on FDA approval before getting a vaccine? Currently, they are only approved for emergency use.

In Canada, Health Canada (which is more or less our own FDA) authorized for emergency use but what I understand based on the information they give to the public is that the company who produces it has to commit to create a bilingual label and let Health Canada know about side effects. This expires in December 2021 so I expect it to be « fully authorized« after that.

Now, are there some vaccines I trust a little bit more than others? Yes. But regardless of that, I took the first one that was available to me (ended up being one I trusted) and things have been great so far.

Nope. Covid isn't waiting for my approval to cause permanent side effects or kill me. So, I'm not waiting either. My whole family is almost fully vaccinated (got my 2nd today), except our 15 year old. He will get it as soon as he can.

Nope. Covid isn't waiting for my approval to cause permanent side effects or kill me. So, I'm not waiting either. My whole family is almost fully vaccinated (got my 2nd today), except our 15 year old. He will get it as soon as he can.
We took our 18 YO to get his first dose on the 15th, the first day he was eligible in CA. My wife, daughter, and I all have had our second dose as of 3 days ago. We're planning on going to WDW in July and wanted to make sure everyone was fully vaxxed before we went.

Nope. Employer got their first case of Pfizer, I had dose one by the end of the week (OR employee). Wife was eligible as an ancillary medical service and by Jan 1 had her first dose. As soon as the 13 year old gets authorized, probably by Mother’s Day, he’s chomping at the bit. DS11 turns 12 in May. He’ll be vaccinated then or at the earliest his age group is eligible.

Especially after ~230M doses administered in the US alone, people are looking for an excuse to keep this going as long as possible. Moderna and Pfizer now have the requisite long term data needed for full approval, and should be submitting any day now.

Does anyone know the answer to this scenario under the UK rules.
If Disney has a 4 day cruise and on morning 3 Covid is found on vaccinated individual on the vaccinated required cruise. Are all vaccinated passengers expected to return to their cabins until they disembark for their safety? Since they go nowhere, probably a day early but still confined to a cabin?

Does anyone know the answer to this scenario under the UK rules.
If Disney has a 4 day cruise and on morning 3 Covid is found on vaccinated individual on the vaccinated required cruise. Are all vaccinated passengers expected to return to their cabins until they disembark for their safety? Since they go nowhere, probably a day early but still confined to a cabin?
I don't know the answer, but I'll say that it would seem ridiculous to quarantine all vaccinated passengers to their cabins because of one breakthrough case. The main point of requiring all 18+ passengers to be vaccinated is to create an environment where the virus can't spread through the passenger population. So if a case pops up, isolating that person should be sufficient.

Now, the big question is the kids and the variants. I'm seeing reports out of India that the variant currently spreading there is affecting children much more significantly than the versions that first circulated. If (or maybe when) that variant spreads worldwide, if the vaccines haven't been approved for the under 12 crowd (I'm assuming Pfizer will get approval for 12-15 year olds soon), then not requiring vaccines for the under 18 year olds will create an environment where they will have to quarantine everyone, or maybe all children not vaccinated, if a case occurs on the cruise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter