The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

I was lucky enough to be able to rent points for a one bedroom villa next September. I've been interested in becoming a DVC owner, but convincing my husband hasnt been too successful. I'm hoping once he stays in a villa, he will have a change of heart!

Since the reservation wasn't secured by me, how would I go about requesting a specific room view preference? Is this something I need to go back to the rental agency and ask them to have the member complete, or can I as the guest do anything? Thanks all!

I was lucky enough to be able to rent points for a one bedroom villa next September. I've been interested in becoming a DVC owner, but convincing my husband hasnt been too successful. I'm hoping once he stays in a villa, he will have a change of heart!

That's what did it for my DH. :lmao: We stayed with friends at OKW and AKV at WDW and he was sold. :woohoo:

A stay in a 1-bedroom at VGC is a great way to "sell" DVC to your husband. When we toured a model (which was 7 years ago!), DW liked the living room (kitchen and second bathroom) -- When she entered the master bath, she was SOLD!

Common DVC advice is to own points where you plan to stay, and this is particularly true with VGC -- this is the smallest DVC resort and the only one at DLR.
...Since the reservation wasn't secured by me, how would I go about requesting a specific room view preference? Is this something I need to go back to the rental agency and ask them to have the member complete, or can I as the guest do anything? Thanks all!
Requests must be made by the DVC owner to Member Services.
You send your requests to the rental agency -- agent forwards to owner -- owner submits to DVC

We have a 3-night stay in a 1-bedroom in March (that just popped up earlier this week as available when I happened to check . . . I couldn't believe it!) and I have waitlisted a 1 bedroom for 1 more night. I was thinking of adding a waitlist for either a studio or a 2-bedroom (not a lock-off, I know the deal with the studio attached). Obviously the points would be better for a studio (and only 4 of us are going), but would one be more likely to come available? I know there is no way to predict, but has anyone noticed a pattern?

I know there is no way to predict, but has anyone noticed a pattern?

From what I have noticed wait lists come through often for the VGC, mainly because I think so many people who live within a few hours by either car or plane book the rooms as soon as they are available. I don't think there is any pattern or reason to why wait listed rooms become available. Mostly my guess is that folks with APs make a plan to go, and then decide as it gets closer if they really have the time off or whatever other factors make their minds up. Then if it doesn't work out, they cancel before the points would go into holding. I've found the month right before is when a lot of wait lists open up.

From what I have noticed wait lists come through often for the VGC, mainly because I think so many people who live within a few hours by either car or plane book the rooms as soon as they are available. I don't think there is any pattern or reason to why wait listed rooms become available. Mostly my guess is that folks with APs make a plan to go, and then decide as it gets closer if they really have the time off or whatever other factors make their minds up. Then if it doesn't work out, they cancel before the points would go into holding. I've found the month right before is when a lot of wait lists open up.
Well, that is good news! Have you noticed any pattern of studio vs. 2 bedrooms coming available? Or more you were answering that with saying no pattern or reason. Thank you!

Well, that is good news! Have you noticed any pattern of studio vs. 2 bedrooms coming available? Or more you were answering that with saying no pattern or reason. Thank you!

I'd say no pattern or reason really. I've seen both become available periodically. I could see how studios might a little more often because usually it's more people staying in a 2BR and you might be inclined to go, or at least some people to go vs a studio where more often it would be 1 or 2 people deciding to cancel. But, for example, for this January I was wanting to add a couple of days to a trip and the 2BR's were frequently popping up even after I got one but the studios? Not so much.

The resort is so small with equal numbers of rooms in the studio-2BR's so I think odds are going to be pretty similar for all to have cancellations. I'd waitlist what you most wanted.

As a follow up . . . I waitlisted a 1-bedroom and a studio, but today when I was stalking the availability tool, a 2-bedroom opened up for the day I was looking for! So I snagged it! I am still hoping that a smaller unit will come off the waitlist, so we don't have to spend the points, and hopefully we don't have to move rooms (we have a 1-bedroom for 3 nights), but I was very excited to get this and cancel my GCH hotel room! Thanks for the help!:goodvibes

Question about moving rooms in the middle of a VGC stay. Right now we have a 2-bedroom the first night and a 1-bedroom the following nights (I have waitlisted for a 1-bedroom the first night). If we do not get the 1 bedroom off the waitlist, I assume we are going to have to check out, have our luggage held by the bell desk, and then check back in when the 1-bedroom becomes available. Will the bell desk hold cold items in a refrigerator for us until we can check back in?

Quick question about Von's delivery -- if you order alcohol, do they typically just go to your room to make the delivery? I know you have to be present to accept it.

I've heard stories from others saying they can be late... which scares me a bit (time at DLR is precious). I'm contemplating just using Amazon Prime Now to get some grocery items and going to a nearby store (I see something called Wonderland Liquors somewhat close) to get beer and wine, but that also seems like a time sink.

Can others comment on their experience with Von's, specifically with alcohol?

:thanks:

Last edited:
Question about moving rooms in the middle of a VGC stay. Right now we have a 2-bedroom the first night and a 1-bedroom the following nights (I have waitlisted for a 1-bedroom the first night). If we do not get the 1 bedroom off the waitlist, I assume we are going to have to check out, have our luggage held by the bell desk, and then check back in when the 1-bedroom becomes available. Will the bell desk hold cold items in a refrigerator for us until we can check back in?

Bell desk will have no problem putting your items in the fridge. Just keep count of the bags that are going into the fridge and when you call for them to your new room, remind them you have # bags in the fridge. Then count them when they arrive. ☺️

Woohoo! We just made an offer on 100 points! This will be our first DVC purchase. We live in NM, but had gone to DL with our son a few years ago and it was the best vacation ever, and that was even staying off property at a not so nice place. I remember walking by the private entrance to GC and wishing for that convenience. Now we have a 2 year old daughter as well as another baby girl on the way, in addition to our son who is now 10. I had started looking at what kind of places were available to stay at DL for a family that size and I just kept ending up at dead ends or rooms that just weren't up to what I was looking for. Traveling with little ones can be tough, and being right there with a beautiful room to return to for small breaks makes this place worth it. Then I saw DVC rental points, then I decided it would be a great time just to join so we can enjoy this for years to come. I'm sure many of you have gone through this process and I thank you for all the info you have all put on this forum, it has been invaluable. Here is my small part for future people in the same boat.

100 pts
September
100 Banked 16/100 Sept 17/100 Sept 18
Accepted offer was $137/point (ROFR permitting)

It hurts because it is very high compared to what it has been in the past, but I am still content. I was a bit disappointed that the 16 years seem to have been banked from 2015, so they will expire Oct 31, 2017. Not sure what I will do with those, since I won't be able to make it out there before then. 100 points will probably only be enough for a great trip every other year, but I am happy with that. Thanks again everyone!

Pete

Woohoo! We just made an offer on 100 points! This will be our first DVC purchase. We live in NM, but had gone to DL with our son a few years ago and it was the best vacation ever, and that was even staying off property at a not so nice place. I remember walking by the private entrance to GC and wishing for that convenience. Now we have a 2 year old daughter as well as another baby girl on the way, in addition to our son who is now 10. I had started looking at what kind of places were available to stay at DL for a family that size and I just kept ending up at dead ends or rooms that just weren't up to what I was looking for. Traveling with little ones can be tough, and being right there with a beautiful room to return to for small breaks makes this place worth it. Then I saw DVC rental points, then I decided it would be a great time just to join so we can enjoy this for years to come. I'm sure many of you have gone through this process and I thank you for all the info you have all put on this forum, it has been invaluable. Here is my small part for future people in the same boat.

100 pts
September
100 Banked 16/100 Sept 17/100 Sept 18
Accepted offer was $137/point (ROFR permitting)

It hurts because it is very high compared to what it has been in the past, but I am still content. I was a bit disappointed that the 16 years seem to have been banked from 2015, so they will expire Oct 31, 2017. Not sure what I will do with those, since I won't be able to make it out there before then. 100 points will probably only be enough for a great trip every other year, but I am happy with that. Thanks again everyone!

Pete
Congratulations, and best wishes for passing ROFR! We bought in almost 2 years ago and have been so thrilled with our points!!! Be forewarned, it is addictive! ;-) We bought 300 points at first and then added another 100 a few months later.

That's awesome! When you bought more points did you buy them at VGC also?

Also, I see the 11 month home advantage and 7 month for booking outside home resort. Does that mean the beginning of the month I want to book in? Say I want to book for May 15, 2018. Does that mean on June 1, 2015 I log on and book or do I have to wait until June 15?

That's awesome! When you bought more points did you buy them at VGC also?

Also, I see the 11 month home advantage and 7 month for booking outside home resort. Does that mean the beginning of the month I want to book in? Say I want to book for May 15, 2018. Does that mean on June 1, 2015 I log on and book or do I have to wait until June 15?
Yes, we found a 100 point contract with the same use year and added on. We have loved our 400 points so far! We used some in November 2015 for our first VGC stay, then used a bunch at Aulani last June for a 7-night stay in a 2-bedroom to celebrate my 50th and our son's college graduation. We didn't have a 2017 trip plan until 3 nights in a row in March popped up available (very surpringly!) in a 1-bedroom just a couple of weeks ago, so I snagged them and then was able to add 1 more night in a 2-bedroom and have waitlisted a 1-bedroom.

To book for May 15, 2018, you will need to wait until Jun 15, 2017. They generally don't fill up right at the 11 mo mark, but definitely before the 7 month mark. You can get online at 5 a.m. Pacific Time or call at 6 a.m.

Enjoy your points!!! Keep us posted when you pass ROFR!:cool1:

...Accepted offer was $137/point (ROFR permitting)
It hurts because it is very high compared to what it has been in the past, but I am still content...
While some early buyers paid less than $100/point (or even less than $90), a direct purchase 4 months ago was $180/point.
$137 seems reasonable, good luck with ROFR :wizard:

...we have a 2 year old daughter as well as another baby girl on the way, in addition to our son who is now 10. I had started looking at what kind of places were available to stay at DL for a family that size and I just kept ending up at dead ends or rooms that just weren't up to what I was looking for...
A 1-bedroom villa is exactly what you are looking for :goodvibes

Last edited:
While some early buyers paid less than $100/point (or even less than $90), a direct purchase 4 months ago was $180/point.
$137 seems reasonable, good luck with ROFR :wizard:

A 1-bedroom villa is exactly what you are looking for :goodvibes
We paid $124/point for our 300 point contract and $140/pt for our 100 point contract (which was right as the Disney wait list for VGC closed, so the points skyrocketed for a little while after that). I think you got a decent deal. The 1 bedrooms at VGC are amazing! 2 bathrooms!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter