"There must be TWO Chevy Chase Marylands!"

MJwritestuff

Mouseketeer
Hello all! This will be our second trip to Disney, but our first time driving. Coming from South Jersey, our plan is to leave around 11 pm and drive to Chesapeake BB Tunnel by daybreak (5:30 am or so,) wake the kids up for a quick look, then drive all day to Florida and arrive there by 7:30 pm.

Here's my question - I think I-95 the whole way is fastest, but my husband thinks using the BB Tunnel shaves time off the trip. I love the tunnel and think the kids will too, but I don't want to ADD driving time if he's wrong. BTW, the last time my hubby and I took a trip to VA without the kids, we went around the Belt Parkway circle thingy for three hours! (I quote: "Hmm. We saw this sign about three hours ago. Maybe there's two Chevy Chase Marylands!")

My husband's a boat captain, and is much better navigating at sea then on land, so who's right?

Thank you for your help!

-Melissa

I'm sorry...what is the BB tunnel? Surely, you don't mean Brooklyn Battery form South Jersey? I'm confused. Enlighten me and I may be able to post something useful.

Sorry - the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel that ends up in Virginia ( I think you start in Maryland and cross the Chesapeake).
Thanks!

Originally posted by MJwritestuff
Hello all! This will be our second trip to Disney, but our first time driving. Coming from South Jersey, our plan is to leave around 11 pm and drive to Chesapeake BB Tunnel by daybreak (5:30 am or so,) wake the kids up for a quick look, then drive all day to Florida and arrive there by 7:30 pm.

Here's my question - I think I-95 the whole way is fastest, but my husband thinks using the BB Tunnel shaves time off the trip. I love the tunnel and think the kids will too, but I don't want to ADD driving time if he's wrong. BTW, the last time my hubby and I took a trip to VA without the kids, we went around the Belt Parkway circle thingy for three hours! (I quote: "Hmm. We saw this sign about three hours ago. Maybe there's two Chevy Chase Marylands!")

My husband's a boat captain, and is much better navigating at sea then on land, so who's right?

Thank you for your help!

-Melissa

Do you mean the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel ? That way would definately be scenic and you would get to miss the DC traffic (Not too sure what the traffic is like via the CBBT, though. Traffic in VA Beach can be tricky, too. )

I'm sort of wondering on your trip via I-95--around the beltway, is it possible that your went all the way around the beltway and that is why you saw the same sign twice? (That definately is the long way around :) ).

-DC :)

I think 95 the whole way is definately faster, particularly since you are driving at night and you get to miss all that wonderful beltway traffic. However, the CBB is beyond breathtaking, and if you actually want to see it, then, by all means, it shouldn't be more than an hour or so longer.

If you do decide to take the beltway, watch for the sighns where it splits and DO NOT take 495 west towards Silver Spring and Bethesda. Keep in the left lanes and you should be fine.

Originally posted by MJwritestuff
BTW, the last time my hubby and I took a trip to VA without the kids, we went around the Belt Parkway circle thingy for three hours! (I quote: "Hmm. We saw this sign about three hours ago. Maybe there's two Chevy Chase Marylands!")

-Melissa

I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes. Thanks for posting your story.:D

To answer your question, yes, we did go around the loop twice. To his defense, there was a rain storm that night that prevented us from seeing that one, teeny weeny sign that would have been our exit off the loop. Of course, in the years since that LONG trip, the storm has grown from a rainstorm (what I remember) to a torrential hurricane that "we were lucky to live through" (what he remembers). Of course, I enjoy being married too much to correct him. (Plus, I recall one point in the adventure where I grabbed his arm and told him I think we passed an exit sign. "If there was an exit sign, I think I would have noticed it." Sure.)

Anyway, thank you all for the help (as usual!) and I printed out the map to the Bay Bridge Tunnel (thanks for the link) so we have a good idea of which path to choose.

We're supposed to go November 14th and start our trip on the 16th. I'll let you know the Truth about how long it takes!!!

-Melissa

Using I95 all the way is faster. That time of night you should not get the DC nightmare traffic. The lanes you need to be in to get on I495/I95 arouund DC are the 2 left lanes. You did not mention when you are going. If it is anytime soon, I would check everything out on the net on your route. That area got hit real hard by Isabel. So for travel right now I95 would be much better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter