They're putting fences up on the beaches

From what I understand, a sinkhole can happen just about anywhere in Florida. There was the one at the nearby offsite resort not that long ago after all.

To me, there's a difference between knowing because you have had issues in the past and it happens once and it never did before, and wow, what a freak thing. AFter all, lightening can strike just about anywhere as well. But I doubt anyone would set up a family gathering in the middle of a golf course during a thunderstorm, invite families to come out and enjoy.

A gator killing might have just happened once but the risk of gator attack was much higher in tha marshy area by the beach, so don't have family activities in the evenings on said beach. It's such a no brainer to me.

I said this before in another thread, but I'll ask again...

How many people (other than residents) realize Florida is the sink hole capital of the world? Should Disney have signs that say "beware of sink holes"?

I think much of this is over the top, but it's very much the way things are today.

MG

Only if people have reported sightings of them recently there and are encouraging their guests to play in an area where they recently filled in several sink holes.

Well, if Disney put up a big family gathering spot in an area where they knew they had a problem with sinkholes, then yes, I would absolutely expect signs saying that. But mostly, I would question why they put a big family gathering area in a spot like that in the first place.
But sink hole potential in Florida, like gators, exists everywhere.
People just don't know it.

MG

To me, there's a difference between knowing because you have had issues in the past and it happens once and it never did before, and wow, what a freak thing. AFter all, lightening can strike just about anywhere as well. But I doubt anyone would set up a family gathering in the middle of a golf course during a thunderstorm, invite families to come out and enjoy.

A gator killing might have just happened once but the risk of gator attack was much higher in tha marshy area by the beach, so don't have family activities in the evenings on said beach. It's such a no brainer to me.
I feel like Disney was totally caught by surprise when this happened. Just as much as someone dealing with a sudden sinkhole in fact. I agree that they should have had more detailed signs just in case though. I think with good lighting and CM's around, they could still have activities on some of the beaches.

I feel like Disney was totally caught by surprise when this happened. Just as much as someone dealing with a sudden sinkhole in fact. I agree that they should have had more detailed signs just in case though. I think with good lighting and CM's around, they could still have activities on some of the beaches.

Maybe they could, as long as CMs were keeping an eye on things, but I really don't know anymore. Part of the issue is the feeding of wildlife at the bungalows, which are a fairly new thing, so it's possible that this incident could just be the first in a string of future incidents. So I really think Disney needs to approach this is a multi-pronged manner and one of those prongs has to be figuring out how to crack down on guests feeding the wildlife.

With all due respect, I think you know better on this.

MG

I truly don't get this response. You asked if they should provide signs warning people and yes I think they should if they recently filled them in or fill them in weekly in an area they invite guests to activities daily. So what, you only wanted a specific answer to that question and mine isn't acceptable?

Maybe they could, as long as CMs were keeping an eye on things, but I really don't know anymore. Part of the issue is the feeding of wildlife at the bungalows, which are a fairly new thing, so it's possible that this incident could just be the first in a string of future incidents. So I really think Disney needs to approach this is a multi-pronged manner and one of those prongs has to be figuring out how to crack down on guests feeding the wildlife.
I agree! If those people do that often then the alligators might just become braver and braver and seeing one strolling down the sidewalk at the Polynesian Resort wouldn't surprise me a bit. Plus you have those new buildings opening soon at the Wilderness Lodge where they could do the same.

You think Disney's choice to warn people of a known danger on their property is over the top? I'm glad that Disney doesn't feel that way because even if what they are doing saves the life of another 2 year old in the next 45 years its worth it.
The point is there are thousands of known dangers. There would be endless warnings and signs.
Sometimes personal responsibility has to prevail.

As tragic as this event was, it's not something that happens so often that people should panic about it. I don't have any hard numbers, but my guess is you have at least 100 times the risk driving to the resort than you do getting attacked by a gator.
I have never ridden Magical Express, but I'm curious... Does the bus have seat belts and shoulder harnesses? Air bags? Side curtain bags?

MG

I don't know how Disney cracks down on the feeding from those bungalows. They are advertised as providing private decks. If I pay $2,000 a night to stay in one I don't think I would be crazy about a CM watching to make sure I behaved.

I truly don't get this response. You asked if they should provide signs warning people and yes I think they should if they recently filled them in or fill them in weekly in an area they invite guests to activities daily. So what, you only wanted a specific answer to that question and mine isn't acceptable?
People don't "sight" sinkholes, and I'm reasonably sure they just don't "fill it in" like nothing happened.
BTW.. A few years ago a sink hole took down a local timeshare building just a couple miles from Animal Kingdom.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/12/us/florida-resort-sinkhole/index.html

MG

I don't know how Disney cracks down on the feeding from those bungalows. They are advertised as providing private decks. If I pay $2,000 a night to stay in one I don't think I would be crazy about a CM watching to make sure I behaved.

I think you've just hit on a huge issue here and what will continue to be a huge issue when the Wilderness Lodge cabins open as well. I don't have any ideas either, to be honest.

The point is there are thousands of known dangers. There would be endless warnings and signs.
Sometimes personal responsibility has to prevail.

As tragic as this event was, it's not something that happens so often that people should panic about it. I don't have any hard numbers, but my guess is you have at least 100 times the risk driving to the resort than you do getting attacked by a gator.
I have never ridden Magical Express, but I'm curious... Does the bus have seat belts and shoulder harnesses? Air bags? Side curtain bags?

MG

Well there are already signs on Disney beaches stating No Swimming so I'm not so sure what is over the top of changing those to beware of the dangerous wildlife in the water instead.
I have no idea why people are so opposed to Disney stating the danger so that those who weren't aware, now are.

Well there are already signs on Disney beaches stating No Swimming so I'm not so sure what is over the top of changing those to beware of the dangerous wildlife in the water instead.
I have no idea why people are so opposed to Disney stating the danger so that those who weren't aware, now are.
I don't really have an issue with modifying the signage, but I'm not a fan of fences.

MG

People don't "sight" sinkholes, and I'm reasonably sure they just don't "fill it in" like nothing happened.
BTW.. A few years ago a sink hole took down a local timeshare building just a couple miles from Animal Kingdom.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/12/us/florida-resort-sinkhole/index.html

MG

Actually sinkholes are filled in. They don't just dump dirt in per se, but they fill them through a special process.

What you linked to would be similar to all of a sudden 50 gators being into the lagoon and on shore at once. That is not something that you can warn people about. It is something that is unpredictable. There are areas more prone to sinkholes and that is something you can warn people about and places do. While they are common in florida a sinkhole is still a natural disaster and not something you can truly warn people about. I don't think this is an issue that is even remotely comparable to gator sign warnings in their manmade lagoon on a family beach they built and invited guests to, but jmho.

Actually sinkholes are filled in. They don't just dump dirt in per se, but they fill them through a special process.

What you linked to would be similar to all of a sudden 50 gators being into the lagoon and on shore at once. That is not something that you can warn people about. It is something that is unpredictable. There are areas more prone to sinkholes and that is something you can warn people about and places do. While they are common in florida a sinkhole is still a natural disaster and not something you can truly warn people about. I don't think this is an issue that is even remotely comparable to gator sign warnings in their manmade lagoon on a family beach they built and invited guests to, but jmho.
Of course sink holes are filled in... They're not just left to sit open. My point was, as you stated, its a special process.

There is no way to equate sink holes to alligators as you're suggesting with the 50 gators. Point is that if your intent is to warn guests about local dangers that they may not be aware of, why stop at gators??

MG

I don't really have an issue with modifying the signage, but I'm not a fan of fences.

MG

I'm not a fan of the fences as is, but I'm hoping that they come up with something aesthetically pleasing for the permanent ones. I'd rather have that than them closing down the beach activities at the resorts.
I don't believe the fences are needed, but I can understand why Disney would choose to put them up. The cynic in me says it has nothing to do with my protection, but because of legal issues going forward. Still, if it prevents even one death I'm okay with it.

If I were Disney I'd almost be afraid to put up any kind of fence because if something ever did happen (say a really aggressive alligator comes further up onto the beach and attacks/kills someone) I can see people blaming Disney still. "But I was in the safe zone! By Disney putting a fence where they did I thought it meant that on THIS side I will be 100% safe. So I better sue them." etc. etc. Maybe I am too cynical about people. I almost think its better to just give ample warnings and call it day.

If I were Disney I'd almost be afraid to put up any kind of fence because if something ever did happen (say a really aggressive alligator comes further up onto the beach and attacks/kills someone) I can see people blaming Disney still. "But I was in the safe zone! By Disney putting a fence where they did I thought it meant that on THIS side I will be 100% safe. So I better sue them." etc. etc. Maybe I am too cynical about people. I almost think its better to just give ample warnings and call it day.

That is how I see the fences. If one was going to ignore the signs, the fence is a visual stay out message. But I agree, you know someone would probably sue even if they just see a gator past the fenced area.

I am not a lawyer but I would think the fences create a liability by establishing a false sense of security. Either people or gators could cross a fence in an instant. They would do nothing to stop a child from going under or over while their parent's attention is focused somewhere else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter