Things you don't like about your car

Ok, so I've seen enough Subaru people on here to ask: why do my car and phone hate each other? I try to listen to a podcast and my iTunes kicks on. I have tried various things. If you plug it in to the USB you have no luck at all. Sometimes I have to shut off Bluetooth and just listen through the phone which is obviously INSANE.

Is it an Apple thing, Subaru thing, or user error?

I'd take a double look at the Tahoe before I would the corvette!😁 I used to drive a Suburban and loved it, and I really like the new design of the Tahoes & Suburbans.
Same. I have a 2005 Z-71 and it still has my heart. Such a reliable vehicle and fun to drive. I regularly get people asking to buy it in parking lots and even my driveway. Had a kid pounding on my door a couple weeks ago trying to get me to sell it to him. Anything I don’t like about it is strictly age related. I couldn’t part with it and no dealer would give me what it’s worth so I kept it for my kids. Been through three teenagers learning to drive and still going strong. With the fires on Maui and the floods happening here a few weeks ago we actually had a discussion on which vehicle we’d take if we ever had to evacuate (highly unlikely) and the Tahoe was our choice hands down.

Ok, so I've seen enough Subaru people on here to ask: why do my car and phone hate each other? I try to listen to a podcast and my iTunes kicks on. I have tried various things. If you plug it in to the USB you have no luck at all. Sometimes I have to shut off Bluetooth and just listen through the phone which is obviously INSANE.

Are you using CarPlay? Have you selected the app for your podcast through CarPlay on your infotainment screen? Mine generally defaults to whatever I was listening to last. Sometimes the native infotainment system in the vehicle (Hyundai) decides it wants to do all the things and I have to go into the menu and manually select CarPlay.

2018 F-150 5.0 ... I don't have any major complaints. It has the aluminum body which might be better for longevity here in Buffalo (although I get the yearly rust-proofing done anyway), but I'm not sure if the aluminum body makes it easier to scratch. It was my FILs truck first and he put a big scratch in the tailgate which I've fixed but it seems to surface scuff a lot easier than my '05 Town & Country did. It has a 10 speed transmission which has been helpful for gas mileage but I'm unsure of the longevity of it -- we tend to keep vehicles until they are pretty beat. So we shall see.

2023 Maverick Hybrid -- Only had it since July so not sure. It's my husband's daily driver. Got the lowest trim level and its main draw is as a budget vehicle so not a lot of bells and whistles but less crap to break. So far gets around 43mpg and slowly climbing. Will see what time tells.

I'd take a double look at the Tahoe before I would the corvette!😁 I used to drive a Suburban and loved it, and I really like the new design of the Tahoes & Suburbans.

Same. I have a 2005 Z-71 and it still has my heart. Such a reliable vehicle and fun to drive. I regularly get people asking to buy it in parking lots and even my driveway. Had a kid pounding on my door a couple weeks ago trying to get me to sell it to him. Anything I don’t like about it is strictly age related. I couldn’t part with it and no dealer would give me what it’s worth so I kept it for my kids. Been through three teenagers learning to drive and still going strong. With the fires on Maui and the floods happening here a few weeks ago we actually had a discussion on which vehicle we’d take if we ever had to evacuate (highly unlikely) and the Tahoe was our choice hands down.

Oh don't get me wrong, I adore the Tahoe. Those big Chevy V8s will run forever! I'm glad we got the Z71 with the 6.2L - it's a beast. It's a great travel vehicle, very spacious and has all the creature comforts you could ever want. My husband did say we can't get the suburban because that would give me even more room to bring home stuff from Disney 😂

2015 Subaru Forester

From the time I bought it (2018), it's had chronic issues with the electrical system. I'm on my 3rd battery. Took it to a Subaru dealer and they told me they couldn't find a problem. Later it turned out there was a widespread issue with Foresters that resulted in class action litigation.

Also now, after only 128K miles, it's using oil to the tune of a quart about every 3 months. Way too early to have that kind of issue.

Oh, and the keyless entry has started randomly not working. Today I played Keyfob Roulette and got lucky. The previous week, not so much. I've put 2 different batteries in so that's not the issue.

We always buy Toyotas and Hondas, but thought we'd try a Subaru. Never again.

Because like many things in life, you actually have to live with it before you know. And sometimes things that sounded like attractive features can turn out to be a bother. And you can still love your car while disliking some aspects of it. Pretty sure my DH feels the same thing about me! :lovestruc:laughing:
Nope, not at all due diligence is the key to not having buyers remorse

and like a wife you try before you buy…..
rentals and program cars are great for that

and when a new model comes out upgrade

Oh don't get me wrong, I adore the Tahoe. Those big Chevy V8s will run forever! I'm glad we got the Z71 with the 6.2L - it's a beast. It's a great travel vehicle, very spacious and has all the creature comforts you could ever want. My husband did say we can't get the suburban because that would give me even more room to bring home stuff from Disney 😂
I so, sooo wanted to get another Tahoe or a Yukon but I wanted all the bells and whistles and that would have cost more than my first home. I just couldn’t do it. My neighbor on the corner restores vintage vehicles and I’ve played with the idea of asking him to give me a quote for the Tahoe. I don’t think I’ll ever get rid of it.

Subaru sound systems are somewhat buggy. I find that the best way to get things properly paired is to put the phone in my wireless charging cradle with the bluetooth turned on, then on the menu, choise Apps and then choose Media. That works better than CarPlay, IMO, because you don't have 2 software products' default settings duking it out for control. Once I've got it working in the wired cradle, IME it will still work correctly even when not directly connected.

PS, for those who find audible warnings too distracting, you can adjust the sensitivity or turn the warnings off altogether if you want; check your owner's manual. AFAIK, this is possible on all cars with such systems (rentals usually lock you out of those settings though.)

I so, sooo wanted to get another Tahoe or a Yukon but I wanted all the bells and whistles and that would have cost more than my first home. I just couldn’t do it. My neighbor on the corner restores vintage vehicles and I’ve played with the idea of asking him to give me a quote for the Tahoe. I don’t think I’ll ever get rid of it.
Just got a new Tahoe HIGH County.
Not sure why I didn’t do it sooner

I have a truly first world issue with my Ford Edge 2021... I don't have a kick liftgate. I hate it! Sure, the key fob has a button to lift it, but I'd prefer the kick and lift.

In addition to that, this car seems to have a bullseye on it for people to hit and scratch. It wasn't a month old when it was hit in front of my house. It was three months old when my DS hit another car near our house. It was hit in a parking lot when my DD had it at work and it has multiple scrapes and scratches where folks have hit it, probably in parking lots.

I get a new car in April when I turn in this lease. I can't wait! I haven't decided on whether I'll get another Edge (it would be my 3rd... I really like them), or if I'll downgrade to an Escape. I've had a previous Escape and really liked it, too.

I just hate that I don't have the lift gate.

Ford is discontinuing the Edge. 2023 is the last model year so it might be challenging to still find a brand new one in April 2024. I test drove a 2023 Edge back in December and while I liked the car in general, I didn't like that *everything* was controlled through a touch screen -- no knobs or buttons for anything. My first thought was (and my husband said it out loud about 30 seconds in to the test drive), "What happens if the touch screen stops working? Or if something hits the screen and destroys it? You can't operate *anything* on the car!" The sales guy agreed and said he thought it was a bad move on Ford's part to do that. Needless to say, we didn't buy that car.

I drive a 2020 Hyundai Palisade and while I really like this vehicle the one thing I hate is that it doesn't have Sirius/Satellite radio installed on it. You only get it if you buy the model with the navigation option. I had a list of options/features I wanted on a car when we were shopping for this one and it never occurred to me that I needed to check that a car had Sirius on it. I thought that was standard in this day and age. I test drove at least 10 cars over a 6 week period and *all* of them had Sirius (including 2 other Palisades). Good lord, my crappy 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan had Sirius!!! Sadly, I didn't notice the missing Sirius until we had purchased the car and drove it home. I still probably would have bought it even if I knew ahead of time, but if I could turn back time, I would have thought long and hard about it (we drive *everywhere* so we spend a lot of time listening to the radio). It annoys me every single day that I have to plug in my phone and use Android Auto to listen to Sirius and I'm at the mercy of my cell service for connectivity. I'd happily trade the power sunroof and several other options I never use for Sirius. Lesson learned. Next time we buy a car I need to check if it has Sirius on it.

Other than that, I really do love the car and it has a lot of great features/options and gets way better gas mileage than my 2015 GMC Acadia did. I really loved that car but the mileage was getting high and our daughter needed a car so it made sense for us to have her start using that car and I get a new (to me) car.

LOL. I'm a rebel. I don't want all that junk on my phone. My phone is for calls, texts and emergency surfing the web when I am away from my desk top.
Must be a black and white TV....

I couldn't live without my phone...
I used my phone for everything which means I never lose it.

I had my Suburban for 31 years. Other that valve cover gaskets, never touched the engine, the good old gas guzzling 454. 9 mpg in town, 9 mpg on the highway, 9 mpg towing a trailer, 9 mpg going uphill, although I did once get 12 mpg going downhill. I miss the space, but I DON'T miss having to park it. I had a health issue that required a lot of appointments downtown, and I had trouble getting our Camry into some of the tiny parking spots in those downtown parking structures.

Must be a black and white TV....

I couldn't live without my phone...
I used my phone for everything which means I never lose it.
LOL. Retired now, but working in TV, ALL our control room monitors but two were black and white until 8 years ago!
photo.jpg

Mine is red; what colour did you get? Mazda doesn’t really seem very forward in their paint colours. Black, white, several shades of grey, dark blue and red

Mine is called eternal blue which is the lighter blue color. I wish o would have gotten the red

Are you using CarPlay? Have you selected the app for your podcast through CarPlay on your infotainment screen? Mine generally defaults to whatever I was listening to last. Sometimes the native infotainment system in the vehicle (Hyundai) decides it wants to do all the things and I have to go into the menu and manually select CarPlay.
My car is a 2014 and I don't have a touchscreen. It's really old tech compared to cars now. Everything is paired but I don't know how to get around the double sound issue. It may just be the car is too old for what I'm trying to do.

2015 Subaru Forester

From the time I bought it (2018), it's had chronic issues with the electrical system. I'm on my 3rd battery. Took it to a Subaru dealer and they told me they couldn't find a problem. Later it turned out there was a widespread issue with Foresters that resulted in class action litigation.

Also now, after only 128K miles, it's using oil to the tune of a quart about every 3 months. Way too early to have that kind of issue.

Oh, and the keyless entry has started randomly not working. Today I played Keyfob Roulette and got lucky. The previous week, not so much. I've put 2 different batteries in so that's not the issue.

We always buy Toyotas and Hondas, but thought we'd try a Subaru. Never again.
Our 2015 Outback started burning oil around that mileage too. We always bought Hondas but gave Subaru a shot. When we got to 138,000 miles my DH looked up longevity of Subaru engines and discovered they only last 150-200K. We decided to cut our losses and traded it in at 146,000 miles for a Honda CRV...so happy to be back in a Honda.

Ford is discontinuing the Edge. 2023 is the last model year so it might be challenging to still find a brand new one in April 2024. I test drove a 2023 Edge back in December and while I liked the car in general, I didn't like that *everything* was controlled through a touch screen -- no knobs or buttons for anything. My first thought was (and my husband said it out loud about 30 seconds in to the test drive), "What happens if the touch screen stops working? Or if something hits the screen and destroys it? You can't operate *anything* on the car!" The sales guy agreed and said he thought it was a bad move on Ford's part to do that. Needless to say, we didn't buy that car.
Interesting. I didn't know this was the last year for it. I guess I should start researching my options before I settle on the Escape. Thank you for that info!

Oh, and my DH had a Lincoln several years ago that had a touch screen. One day, it was about 98F outside and hotter in the car. He touched the screen to change the radio and it cracked, rendering it useless. He had knobs, too, so that wasn't an issue, but he had to find and replace the touch screen for esthetics and so he could eventually sell the car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter