Thinking of buying a used pop-up...help!!!

shep

Let me tell ya about our 2008 trip out west...
We have a friend of BIL's that is willing to sell a '99 starcraft for $1800..
sleeps 6..looks like a 10' or bigger, has refrigerator, awning, spare tire....

Is this a good deal?
what else should I check for, besides marks of where roof leaked???:confused:

Check out this link for the value of it. You'll need to know the name of the model. You should be able to find pictures of the models with floor plans on Starcraft's website if you don't know it. (You still may not be able to find it there if it's a discontinued model, though.)

My guess would be that that's a good deal. Be sure to inspect the canvas very well and see if there are any tears or weak spots. You might also want to see how much he knows about it and if he takes care of it. For example, with the Colemans, you're supposed to raise the roof before you put the stabilizers down. If someone who was selling you one said you should do it in the opposite order, it's possible that the frame might be bent.

actually it's a Skamper by THOR..
Anyone have one?
Like/dislike them??

As mentioned, it all depends on the condition.

My own rule of thumb for campers is how many it will sleep "comfortably" as opposed to the advertised figure. We have a large Coleman pop-up (for sale, BTW) that is advertised as sleeping 7, but in reality, will sleep 4 comfortably. That's two in each king size bed. The table area converts into a double bed, but then you would have to step over those sleeping there to get in and out of one of the real beds. Also consider rainy days and how much room there will be for everyone moving around inside.

For buying any camper, new or used, it's best to take a friend with camping experience with you to look at it.

Good luck :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter