Thinking of trying Universal? Read this first timer’s impressions (kinda long)

Wha, wha, what??????? You're not afraid of me?! You do know I weigh twice as much as you, right?

add me to what you weigh and we are really fat, right jodie?? :laughing:
we can scare her with our size!

maybe that didn't come out right......:eek:

Alright..taking a quick break from housework to check on things here.

Disney is not a religion. Disney is not a religion.:worship:

I've had a brainwave while scrubbing DS's toilet. What do you guys think of a fly out Thurs afternoon/evening, do the parks Fri Sat and Sun and then fly home Monday type of itenerary? Because I don't want to take DS out of school more than I have to and I'd be more comfortable with him missing 2 days instead of a whole week.

I also just measured him with the measuring tape from my sewing kit and he's 37 inches tall. Is that tall enough for Seuss landing? Even if he were tall enough for Spiderman, we'd probably decide to wait till he's older for that because it might be too intense for him. He won't mind missing it..he's a Batman fan anyway. :rotfl:

And can somebody tell me about this 'free adult pass' thing I saw on the US website? It seemed to me that it was 'if you stay during X time period, you'll get a 2 free 6 or 7 day adult passes free'. I believe this was if you stayed at HR, PB or RP. Is that right?

I'm trying to get all my facts straight before I type up a dossier for DH to read over. I like to have all my ducks in a row and have everything planned down to the second if I can. DH calls me an overplanner and a scheduleholic. :laughing:

Ladyjean

Here's what it says on the website about the tickets:Receive TWO FREE THEME PARK TICKETS* when you stay 4 or more nights and enjoy unlimited admission* to both Universal Studios and Universal’s Islands of Adventure, plus admission to the CityWalk** clubs.

Your son is tall enough for the Woody Woodpecker coaster and the Flying Unicorn coaster. You might want him to look at them first and he can decide. The Woody Woodpecker would be the best choice because it's much milder. He can also ride ET and that would be a really good ride for his age (it's not intense at all).

OH, I just saw this:
EXTRA VALUE between AUGUST 19 – OCTOBER 4
Stay as little as 3 nights and get one FREE THEME PARK TICKET^! STAY LONGER and enjoy all the fun, thrills, and adventure of Orlando’s most action-packed theme parks and get MORE THEME PARK TICKETS with your stay!

Stay 3 nights – receive one (1) adult Universal Orlando ticket^ – valid up to seven (7) days of unlimited admission to both Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure.
Stay 4 nights – receive two (2) adult Universal Orlando tickets* – valid up to seven (7) days of unlimited admission.
Stay 5 nights – receive two (2) adult Universal Orlando and Wet n’ Wild Orlando tickets*** – valid up to seven (7) days of unlimited admission.
Stay 6 nights – receive two (2) adult Universal Orlando, Wet n’ Wild Orlando and SeaWorld Orlando tickets*** – valid up to seven (7) days of unlimited admission for all 4 parks.

I got that information on the RPR's site. Each hotel has pretty much the same deal going. Here's the link: http://www.universalorlando.com/ht_rpr_rates_featured.html

OK so ET, Woody Woodpecker and Flying Unicorn. Got it. Any other suggestions? DS tends to a bit of a wild child, so he might enjoy the coasters. But just in case he doesn't what else would you suggest for an almost 4 year old?

Ladyjean

At IOA there is the Pteranodon Flyers (you might want to let him see them first, as you are off the ground for that one), Cat in the Hat, One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish (like Dumbo with little water squirts), Caro-Seuss-el, High in the Sky Trolley... ummm... some shows like Sinbad... ummm... some interactive areas and playgrounds like If I Ran the Zoo... I know I'm forgetting stuff.

At US there is Jimmy Neutron (if he isn't tall enough there are stationary seats for the movie, but if he doesn't watch the cartoons on Nick, it probably won't thrill him anyway), Shrek 4-D, ET... ummm... shows like Barney, Animal Actors... interactive areas and playgrounds like Barneys Backyard, Fievels Playland... again, I know I'm leaving stuff out.

Some of the playgrounds have wet areas like Curious George and If I Ran the Zoo, so it might be worth having a swimsuit and/or change of clothes handy.

I'm sure others will have more suggestions than I do. :goodvibes

OK so ET, Woody Woodpecker and Flying Unicorn. Got it. Any other suggestions? DS tends to a bit of a wild child, so he might enjoy the coasters. But just in case he doesn't what else would you suggest for an almost 4 year old?

Ladyjean
Don't forget Shrek, Jimmy Neutron (not sure about height), Pteranodon Flyers, Camp Jursassic, Jaws, and One-Fish-Two-Fish-Red-Fish-Blue-Fish (dh loves this as much as the kids!)

Sorry to repeat RVGal. I accidentally clicked Preview instead of submit so when I sent it was too late.:goodvibes

Alright..taking a quick break from housework to check on things here.

Disney is not a religion. Disney is not a religion.:worship:

I've had a brainwave while scrubbing DS's toilet. What do you guys think of a fly out Thurs afternoon/evening, do the parks Fri Sat and Sun and then fly home Monday type of itenerary? Because I don't want to take DS out of school more than I have to and I'd be more comfortable with him missing 2 days instead of a whole week.

I also just measured him with the measuring tape from my sewing kit and he's 37 inches tall. Is that tall enough for Seuss landing? Even if he were tall enough for Spiderman, we'd probably decide to wait till he's older for that because it might be too intense for him. He won't mind missing it..he's a Batman fan anyway. :rotfl:

And can somebody tell me about this 'free adult pass' thing I saw on the US website? It seemed to me that it was 'if you stay during X time period, you'll get a 2 free 6 or 7 day adult passes free'. I believe this was if you stayed at HR, PB or RP. Is that right?

I'm trying to get all my facts straight before I type up a dossier for DH to read over. I like to have all my ducks in a row and have everything planned down to the second if I can. DH calls me an overplanner and a scheduleholic. :laughing:

Ladyjean
I think it's a great idea!! We'll be doing that in Sept. when kids have a 4 day weekend for Jewish holidays. Fly down Wed after work, crash at a cheaper place near MCO (only $49 on Hotwire!) then check in HRH 1st thing Thurs. am and stay til Sunday. True, it's not long but will have to do since it's so early in the school year.

Please don't flame me, this is just mho but I wouldn't worry about missing "school" at age 3 1/2. Now is the time for you and dh to go & enjoy and not worry about school schedules. My 2 are entering grades 5 & 2 and I sooo wish we went more often before they entered school.

Also check prices both ways: sometimes, depending on how long your hotel stay is, it may be cheaper to just buy tickets and get a AAA discount on hotel if you can. You won't have to buy park tix for your ds.

Again, jmho, but I think at USO there's a big difference in the overall park visit when you stay onsite. I don't see such a huge difference when staying onsite at WDW. Our 1st visit to USO we were staying offsite and thought, "Eh, this is ok but it's not Disney.":rolleyes1
Next time we stayed onsite and thought "Wow, this is sooo not Disney!" :thumbsup2 :woohoo: Staying onsite somehow added so much, it's hard to describe. Perhaps it's like a pp mentioned, you have to be ready to try something new. Maybe I wasn't ready the 1st trip.
Also unless your 3 y.o. loves to walk, I'd take the water taxi to the parks.

I've done some really "boring" things while on vacation just b/c my dh wants to. I beg to relax by the pool and end up going anyway and enjoying myself. Like Kennedy Space Center and during our recent visit to Williamsburg, VA dh wanted to visit the "Army Transportation Museum" at Ft. Eustice ugh! :rolleyes1 I would have rather been at the dentist but it turned out to be very interesting. or so... :laughing:
Go with an open mind and you'll have a great time! :goodvibes
sorry this is so long, I've had a lot of coffee! :yay: :surfweb:

Please don't flame me, this is just mho but I wouldn't worry about missing "school" at age 3 1/2. Now is the time for you and dh to go & enjoy and not worry about school schedules. My 2 are entering grades 5 & 2 and I sooo wish we went more often before they entered school.

I worry about school because he is in a special ed. program (mostly for speech and some physical delays) through the local school district. Because of that, he has a certain number of days he must attend, just like any other kid in K-12, even though he is only in preschool.

Ladyjean

:lmao: That's what I always used to say when I'd get busted by my parents when I was a teenager! Once is all it takes, don't you know that Barb? It sounds like you need to prepare to be flogged by Jodie and Mac.....Poor Barb.....:sad2:

Once for the rickshaws and more than once for the thing Alison is referring to ;)

I worry about school because he is in a special ed. program (mostly for speech and some physical delays) through the local school district. Because of that, he has a certain number of days he must attend, just like any other kid in K-12, even though he is only in preschool.

Ladyjean

I completely understand. My younger ds needed speech & OT. I don't know why I just assume it's rare when it's really very common, esp. for boys. Our school district is very lenient when it comes to taking off for vacation. I guess we're lucky in that sense.

That's why I want to try and swing a depart late Thurs-come back on Monday schedule, because they'll probably be more lenient about having him out of school if he's only gone two days. I do NOT want to make the school's PT mad at me. He is a scary looking guy!:scared1:

ladyjean

That's why I want to try and swing a depart late Thurs-come back on Monday schedule, because they'll probably be more lenient about having him out of school if he's only gone two days. I do NOT want to make the school's PT mad at me. He is a scary looking guy!:scared1:

ladyjean

what dates are you thinking about?

if you buy a package from UO for on site hotels, tickets are included.
but, if you pay for it all separately, it is cheaper.

macraven--Sept 20-Sept 24.
I'm going to let DH handle where the tix are bought from, airline, etc because he's better at getting good deals than I am. I would just accept whatever they said was the cheapest, etc and he knows ways of making them give us flights, etc for cheaper than their cheapest listed price.

Once, we had to fly out of state for a funeral on short notice and he was able to talk AA into giving us 3 round trip tix (me, him and my sis) for 75$ a piece. :thumbsup2

Ladyjean

Good grief! Will all you people STOP making my home away from home so palatable to everyone else?! Geez. Yes, Universal is a little slice of heaven, but if this continues, we won't be able to afford our 2-3 trips per year (in comped suites) with unlimited Express, and AP and AAA discounts on merchandise and food, without having to pine for a PIN code accidentally addressed to your cat that you can't use... We'll have to call 18.5 months in advance and be on the phone at 06:59:59 am to book a package... Making reservations for Mythos 360 days in advance ... STOP THE MADNESS!

Good points.....

UNIVERSAL SUCKS!! :cool1: :rotfl2:

DS is still a lap-sitter and he'd probably be too little for everything except maybe Seuss Landing (is that right? Is that the kiddo section?).

I also have this weird feeling it would be disloyal to go to Universal since they are in such competition with Disney.

Do you have a favorite restaurant? Do you feel guilty if you decide to eat at another restaurant? My favorite restaurant serves Mexican food. Sometimes I'm just in the mood for seafood, or Italian, or Chinese food or a steak or bar-be-cue. I certainly don't feel guilty for going to another restaurant even though they are in competition with each other. Neither should you feel guilty for going to Universal instead of Disney.

There is lots for your son to do.

Woody Woodpecker Kid Zone

Animal Actors is a is a great show to watch if your son likes animals. Be aware there is one part where a large snake is brought on stage.

The Barney show is another show your son might like. There is also a play area and a meet and greet with Barney.

Curious George is tons of fun for kids of all ages. They can shoot water at others and run though a building with lots of water effects. At the Ball Factory, kids can shoot and throw nerf balls.

Woody's Coaster is a kiddy coaster and was mentioned earlier. ET is also a great ride. Be sure and listen for ET to say your name at the end of the ride.

Fieval's Playland has a slide where kids can take a two person water raft down a small incline.

Production Central

Jimmy Neutron is 3 D simulator ride with stationary seats for younger kids. It features the Nick characters. When you exit, there is an interactive play area and also a meet and greet with Sponge Bob.

Shrek is a 3-D show. There is a meet and greet with Shrek, Fiona, and (my favorite) Donkey. I can spend quite awhile just listening to Donkey interact with the kids.

Suess Landing

The whole land is built for kids. One Fish Two Fish is similar to Dumbo but with water. I'm sure your son will love the Cat in the Hat ride. I'd suggest reading him the book first for even more fun.

If I ran the Zoo is another play area. There are tons of interactive activities there.

The High in the Sky Trolley, takes you on a trolley ride in the sky above Seuss Landing. There are two tracks and four story lines all involving the Sneetches.

You can also meet the Grinch, Cat and the Hat, and Thing 1 and 2.

Jurassic Park

The Discovery Center is an exhibit/museum about dinosaurs. There are games to play to test your dinosaur knowledge. You can create a new dinosaur, or watch some dinosaur eggs hatch.

There is also a sky ride called Pteranodon Flyers where adults can only ride if they are accompanied by a child.

Lost Continent

The Flying Unicorn is a kiddie coaster.

Toon Lagoon

The Me Ship, the Olive is is a stationary boat with stairs to climb, slides, and areas to explore. You can also squirt the people who are on the boats on the Popeye ride.

Marvel Super Hero Island

Storm Force Acceltron is similar to the teacup ride. There are also super heroes who ride on ATV's into Marvel several times a day for Meet and Greet.

Here are the height requirements. All the things I mentioned can be done by your son who is 37 inches.
http://www.universalorlando.com/pi_height.html

Don't fear change---change is good.

:thumbsup2

that doesn't sound like much of a vacation to me. a couple of days at Universal will show you what a destination theme park vacation should be.

Well, we've had a setback re: DH's work. SOmething has come up that is major and we're going to have to push back our vacation until at least Feb. But this has been incredibly informational for me and I want to thank eveyone for the advice and for not laughing at my dumb questions.

Ladyjean

sorry for the rescheduling for your uo vacay.

by now you have a wealth of uo knowledge.

if you need more info in the future, post a new thread and many of us will try to help out again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter