This is just so sad,,and makes me ask WHY would someone do this?? I don't call it 'playing'??

Glad the judge ruled for the cruise line. I can see this family going to the Supreme Court eventually. They cannot accept that the grandfather did anything wrong and will not accept he was 100% responsible for this tragedy.

Glad the judge ruled for the cruise line. I can see this family going to the Supreme Court eventually. They cannot accept that the grandfather did anything wrong and will not accept he was 100% responsible for this tragedy.

Agreed. Their anger is so misplaced at royal Caribbean when it should be aimed towards grandpa. I think they use their anger at royal Caribbean to not have to face the fact that grandpa was so negligent that he basically dropped their daughter off the cruise ship to her death below.

I'm sorry that I'm happy about this. I'm from the same area as the family and we get no news about it locally. most people that I've talked to about it just think grandpa had just a total lack of judgement and unfortunately is to blame
I totally understand your feelings. Yes, there is literally no one else to blame. I wish no further vilification on either him or this family but it’s so, so good to hear the judge exercise common sense in the light of clear evidence without letting emotion or evocative personal testimony muddy the waters. I’m also so glad RCCL put up a robust defence instead of settling. This type of frivolous lawsuits aimed at “big corps” just because they have deep pockets need to go away.

Agreed. Their anger is so misplaced at royal Caribbean when it should be aimed towards grandpa. I think they use their anger at royal Caribbean to not have to face the fact that grandpa was so negligent that he basically dropped their daughter off the cruise ship to her death below.

:worship::worship::worship:

Yep, both parents are or were involved in law enforcement, no doubt groaning about defendants who refused to accept responsibility for their actions.

Yet when one of their own is at fault, they quickly changed their tune and put the blame elsewhere. :sad2:

"Lawyers for parents Alan, 42, and Kimberly, 38, Wiegand claimed that Royal Caribbean “chose to ignore” the “clear, known” dangers of the open window, according to The Mail. "

No.... Grandpa "chose to ignore" the "clear, known" dangers of the open window. Chloe had no way to get herself up there until Grandpa lifted her up and then DROPPED HER.

"Why would you have a window open?"

Because windows are meant to open. @@

Last edited:
I completely agree. These parents seem so desperate to make money off their child's death, it's gross.
There is a thought that once the lawyer signed them, they couldn't get out of the contract with him without paying for his fees while he was working on the case. Presumably, the case getting kicked out of court absolves them of that responsibility. IF that is the case, I could understand them not dropping it.

"Lawyers for parents Alan, 42, and Kimberly, 38, Wiegand claimed that Royal Caribbean “chose to ignore” the “clear, known” dangers of the open window, according to The Mail. "

No.... Grandpa "chose to ignore" the "clear, known" dangers of the open window. Chloe had to way to get herself up there until Grandpa lifted her up and then DROPPED HER.

"Why would you have a window open?"

Because windows are meant to open. @@
Also, Grandpa lied about not knowing that the window was open. There is video footage of him sticking his head through it before the tragedy.

I am with so many, mixed emotions. I am so happy the judge tossed this case out and put blame where blame is due ... on the grandfather. Just hard to be happy about something as sad as this.

However, I an easily get riled up again after reading Winkleman's remarks:

‘The family is surprised and deeply saddened by the court’s ruling. This is a matter that should be decided by a jury, and we are confident and hopeful the appellate court will agree,’ Winkleman told DailyMail.com.

‘We will be filing the appeal shortly and we will continue to fight and raise awareness about the dangers of unintentional toddler window falls. This case was always about Chloe and shining a light on her brief but beautiful life.’

Decided by a jury, and you think the jury is going to side with you?? All the defense needs to do is show the multiple videos that shows Annello leaning out of the window before picking up Chloe. I am still certain there is more video that hasn't been released. My guess, RCCL has an arsenal of videos in their back pocket.

UGH!! And can I throw up with his last statement. GAG!! 🤮 Please, Winky. It has always been about a payout for you. I can't roll my eyes any further back into my head with that comment.

I am with so many, mixed emotions. I am so happy the judge tossed this case out and put blame where blame is due ... on the grandfather. Just hard to be happy about something as sad as this.

However, I an easily get riled up again after reading Winkleman's remarks:

‘The family is surprised and deeply saddened by the court’s ruling. This is a matter that should be decided by a jury, and we are confident and hopeful the appellate court will agree,’ Winkleman told DailyMail.com.

‘We will be filing the appeal shortly and we will continue to fight and raise awareness about the dangers of unintentional toddler window falls. This case was always about Chloe and shining a light on her brief but beautiful life.’

Decided by a jury, and you think the jury is going to side with you?? All the defense needs to do is show the multiple videos that shows Annello leaning out of the window before picking up Chloe. I am still certain there is more video that hasn't been released. My guess, RCCL has an arsenal of videos in their back pocket.

UGH!! And can I throw up with his last statement. GAG!! 🤮 Please, Winky. It has always been about a payout for you. I can't roll my eyes any further back into my head with that comment.
Translation, they were hoping a jury wouldn't be able to rationally get over the trauma of the way the girl died, and would overlook the video and side with them.

Translation, they were hoping a jury wouldn't be able to rationally get over the trauma of the way the girl died, and would overlook the video and side with them.

I don't think you can overlook that video. Wishful thinking on their part.

It would never get to the Supreme Court. They would have to get through multiple layers of jurisdiction before that AND at least one more Court would have to agree to hear the case before they are even able to petition the Supreme Court. As you get higher in the levels of Court, you can't just have your case heard because you want it to - the Court has to agree to take the case.

Exactly. This wasn't some freak accident that RCCL needs to make amends for. A man picked up a child, held her out of a window that she never would have had any access to otherwise then he DROPPED HER. I do not understand why any of this is on RCCL at all.

Just really very sad. Move on and instead of sending a message that RCCL should somehow be responsible for protecting kids from their own dumb family, send a message on forgiveness and how you can love somebody like Grandpa through a HORRIBLE lapse in judgement.

get enough people on that jury who have never been on a cruise ship, have a natural inclination that the big bad corporation should pay and can't "see" the difference between a window in a skyscraper and the set up of a cruise ship with the railing and they may just be able to forget the window was well above the child's reach and it was not possible for her to "fall" out of the widow she wasn't held out of by an adult.

It would never get to the Supreme Court. They would have to get through multiple layers of jurisdiction before that AND at least one more Court would have to agree to hear the case before they are even able to petition the Supreme Court. As you get higher in the levels of Court, you can't just have your case heard because you want it to - the Court has to agree to take the case.

I know that. It is an expression used for people who don't want to give up. I have a degree in Criminal Justice so I do know how it works.

get enough people on that jury who have never been on a cruise ship, have a natural inclination that the big bad corporation should pay and can't "see" the difference between a window in a skyscraper and the set up of a cruise ship with the railing and they may just be able to forget the window was well above the child's reach and it was not possible for her to "fall" out of the widow she wasn't held out of by an adult.
Yes! And this is why I'm so elated the judge made the ruling he did to not allow this to go forward. There were enough people in this thread who expressed the idea of the ship being culpable (all non-cruisers) that it made the idea of a jury trial a little chilling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter