Those moving walkways!

MsDisney

DIS Veteran
Here is my pet peeve...and I've been on these boards on and off since well before I became a "local"! It bothered me from the first time I experienced IOA in soft opening in May of '99, and now that I go to Universal/IOA, it bothers me even more! It's petty, it's silly...but hey, it's MY pet peeve! :D

Oddly enough, I've never seen it mentioned here, I can't believe I would be the only one, but it wouldn't be the first time!!!

Here goes:
From the garage to the parks, there are several moving walkways to move you along faster or save your aching feet, whichever you choose to use them for. Well, I choose them to get my butt into the park faster. I also use them to get my butt home faster. I'm not a slow walker by nature, by the way.
:cool:
So why can't people that want to stand there, and take twice as long to GET somewhere, stand to the right so that people can pass by??? Why do they get annoyed when you come upon them and say, "excuse me" and zoom on by? I know at the airports, there are signs that say something like "please stand to the right to allow others to pass" - so I know this is something that has been an "issue" in other places.

Now sure, we could just walk on the side and get there at the same time as the people riding, but if we WALK on the moving walkway, well, we get there faster, and with fewer steps!

Allright, be nice...I don't plow people over or anything...but sometimes I buzz to the parks when the kids get out of school, and frankly...we only get a couple of hours some days!

Sorry so long...but pet peeves take time! :)

Thanks for reading!
Karen
:D :D :D

Here, Here! I'm with you! Keep to the right signs (for non-walkers) should be posted immediately, if not sooner!:o :p

Wow, Karen! Tell us how you REALLY feel!! :D

Being a NYer I have very little tolerance for slow moving or stopped vehicles ANYWAY but this is a slight pet peeve of mine also, not so much now because I stay onsite whenever I visit now!

I try to repeat to myself over and over that I am with lots of people from different cultures and different attitudes and different speeds and I have to assimilate...

But it's soooooo hard! :(

I do feel your pain, though, Karen!

Well, I HAVE been keeping it "in" for 2 1/2 years now, after all! :D

I have more patience for it at the end of the day than the beginning...I'm always thingking, "darn...don't these people want to GET there today?" I mean, it's no small distance just to get from there to the parks!

I'm from the Northeast too...it sure has been hard to slow down to a laid back Floridian pace...but I'm working on it! Tho I still can't pass a dunkin' donuts without feeling compelled to stop, but it seems I just don't need caffeine down here the way I did in MA!!! :cool:

Geesh, on a side note, I was just thinking to myself that I should have hit a water park today, since it was so nice, and suddenly it's pouring! LOL

I love it!

Karen

It used to be a running joke that the longest ride at Universal was the Walkways. I hate people that "ride" them. I've seen 3 people fall trying to get off after their "ride" ...its better to be moving when you try to get off those things.

You are preaching to the converted on this one MsDisney. in the morning it usually is not to bad at 8:15 or so. In the afternoon when the mass start to leave it is really a bugger. i will resort to walking in the non-people mover area and get where i want to go much faster.

i always thought that since the european's drive on the left that is why the left side is stopped since that would be natural for them. throw in a couple of friends from the usa and you have afull-blown people mover blockade. :p

It's a great theory, now if only the people blocking the left WERE European - we might be onto something! :D

I just feel like it's common sense...but these are the people that probably stop suddenly and begin to back up (without beeping, I might add!!!) while walking through the parks...

Now us considerate folks...well we know enough to pull over before stopping! :)

I hate to be anal about this stuff...but I am...and I try to use these examples (as well as the countless others like stopping in the middle, etc) to teach my children how to grow up to play nice on their own in the themeparks! ;)

Someday you WILL see me standing by the walkways with a sign but, instead of "eat more chickn" it will say "standers, move your butts to the right, pretty please!"

I'm very silly today, must be the heat!

Karen

actually once you get outside of the north american continent i believe most the rest of the world drive on the left side of the road, so european was kind of an all encompassing term. not very pc but to bad.

what do you think of all the people standing at the start of the entrance to Hulk, and none of them are moving to get onto the ride. I go wide right and squeeze between the test seats and the pole to get around the blockage. It is not as if there is anything to see at that point of the line?????? :D

Well the thing is...I don't think New Jersey is a part of Europe yet, is it???

***** LOL, sorry, I'm JUST KIDDING folks...don't hurt me you NJ people! It's just from being in the Theme Parks so much, it seems like people from NJ are accustomed to being picked on...and you have super senses of humor about it! :rolleyes:

I don't know WHAT those people are doing in front of Hulk...they never have children to be measured...maybe they think once they step past the "line" that they will be sucked into the ride vortex and will no longer be able to back out???

I wonder if these are the people that stand in front of Express and Fast Pass return entrances, and since they can't enter yet because they are early, they stand in the middle and block the entrance from everyone...Oh well, sure, YOU can't get in, no sense in allowing people who return WITHIN their window to pass!!!

Ah...all in good fun...we'd be so bored if these people weren't so rampant! :eek:

Karen

It is good that we know some of the shortcuts to avoid those herds of slow moving humanity:smooth:

How about those that sit on a video game that you want to play or sit in the test seats that you want to use? Why not use a bench? :)

They should designate certain walkways as stander walkways, and others as walker walkways.

Oh my goodness. I'm a native Floridian who would love to move to MA and now I'm closer to thinking I'd fit right in because the people who stand on the walkways drive me mad as well! Anyhow, Seinfeld did part of a routine on the walkways, complaining that people got on and just stood there. Do they think it's a ride, he asked? Guess so.

In the UK we drive on the left but we still have a 'stand to the right' mentality on escalators and things in London. Most Europeans drive on the right so they've no excuse. You get people all the time on the London Underground escalators blocking the whole pathway and we have huge signs up saying 'Stand to the Right'

This always bugs me too. What also annoys me is people who block the walkway then move over to let my young kids through then block me from following them!!! What's that all about then.

Angela

People have been walking all day and want to relax their feet by using the walkway.

If you don't want to use the powered walkway, you are free to walk on the non-moving sidewalk and go at your own pace.

The whole point of the walkway is to let it do the walking for you because you have been walking around the theme parks all day! If that annoys you, don't use them!

Yes. Exactly.

Thats why they have moving walkways at airports. They're not there so people can get to their terminal or destination faster. No, they're there so people can rest their feet as they miss their flight.

Just in case you can decode my sarcasam, I'm saying that the walkways are there so people can rest AND so people can walk faster. They are capable of doing both, and there's not sign anywhere in where it says "Moving Walkways For resting Only."

Thanks Doc!
Cuz my point to it is that while sure...people can use the walkways to rest, if they have no interest in getting somewhere faster. And yes, I can walk all the way (on the non-moving walkway and get there in LESS time than if I walked ON the moving walkway. And more often than not, that's what I end up doing because I think it's a waste of valuable time to just stand there (for me), and my feet like to keep moving. Not once did I EVER say to people, "don't stand on the moving walkways" Did I???

No...there is room for BOTH if people who stand can just stand to the right, so the walkers can walk by. There's no need for the people standing to sprawl out over the entire walkway, is there?

Geesh!

Karen

:D

Originally posted by Jon360
People have been walking all day and want to relax their feet by using the walkway.

If you don't want to use the powered walkway, you are free to walk on the non-moving sidewalk and go at your own pace.

The whole point of the walkway is to let it do the walking for you because you have been walking around the theme parks all day! If that annoys you, don't use them!

Jon360 we have a great pharmacisit in apopka that can remedy the dosage imbalance if you ever get up this way.
In the airport in St.Louis the people mover have in yellow on the tread every 4 feet STAND TO THE RIGHT, WALK TO THE LEFT. :bounce:

hey Msdisney, lets meet out there 11/10 and ticket those on the people movers not walking!!!!!:smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter