Thoughts and prayers

sssteele

DIS Veteran
Thoughts and prayers for all those impacted by the horrible hurricane that just struck the Gulf Coast. I'm hoping some of what I hear is media hype, but it looks bad.

sssteele said:
Thoughts and prayers for all those impacted by the horrible hurricane that just struck the Gulf Coast. I'm hoping some of what I hear is media hype, but it looks bad.
I keep hoping the same thing. Lots of prayers for all of the people effected by Katrina, especially for our friends from the DIS.

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. Our area received a good beating, but we will be able to revive within the next few weeks(we are on Mobile Bay). Unfortunately, what you are seeing on TV is not media hype. There is major devastation in our surrounding area. We have friends and family who's houses are in 8 feet of water. It is really sad! Thanks for your kind thoughts and prayers.

Erin, your whole region is in our prayers. We stayed at the Grand Hotel near you one time. How did it make out?

So many people are going to need so much help. It breaks your heart to hear of the conditions and devastation.

sssteele said:
I'll be the first to criticize the news media for hypeing, but they are definitely NOT hypeing the destruction from Katrina. If anything, at this point the damage is probably UNDERestimated, because not even the rescue crews can get into a lot of areas.

Based on what I saw on the ground and from the air in Hurricane Andrew, I think it will be several more days (maybe a week) in Mississippi and Alabama before we really get a clear picture of the level of destruction. When they figure that out, they have such an enormous amount of infrastructure destruction over such a wide area, just figuring out what to try to fix first will be a daunting task.

In Hurricane Andrew, our area of destruction was only 20 miles north to south, and less than that east-west. I'm not sure how far north the serious effects of Katrina go from the Gulf, but it's at least 250 miles east-west (Baton Rogue to Pensacola). We were dealing with one county; the immediate hurricane destruction alone from Katrina impacts four states. There's no comparison in the magnitude of the problem.

New Orleans is a completely separate problem from MS and AL, and much more difficult. The problems in New Orleans haven't started yet. New Orleans is still going downhill, and things there look like they will get a lot worse there before they start to get better.

Also, don't forget where Katrina went after she hit the Gulf Coast. She went right up the east side of the Mississippi and then right up the Ohio River Valley, dumping tons of rain all the way to New England. Much of that water will eventually flow down the Ohio, into the Mississippi, and south into the Gulf...through New Orleans.

They're not hyping.

Jim - I hope that my "hyping" comment was not taken as my belittling the situtation. From where I sit, the news is so devastating and incomprehensible that wishing it was hype is kind of a defense mechanism. In addition, teh comment was made before some of teh news hit. I guess teh best way for me to describe it is not that I was trying to make light of teh situation, but wishing against all hope that situation really was better than we were hearing it is/will be.

Since teh comment was made, however, things just keep getting worse. Incomprehensible to me and a living nightmare to those in it.

Prayers & pixie dust to all in the gulf coast area. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :grouphug: :grouphug: Be safe!!

wtpclc said:
Jim - I hope that my "hyping" comment was not taken as my belittling the situtation. From where I sit, the news is so devastating and incomprehensible that wishing it was hype is kind of a defense mechanism. In addition, teh comment was made before some of teh news hit. I guess teh best way for me to describe it is not that I was trying to make light of teh situation, but wishing against all hope that situation really was better than we were hearing it is/will be.

Since teh comment was made, however, things just keep getting worse. Incomprehensible to me and a living nightmare to those in it.
I'm sure no one misinterpreted your earlier comments. The thought that comes through in every post is that our thoughts and prayers are with those in need.

So sad.

With all that water, anything left standing after the water recedes will need to be demolished. The heat and humidity and toxins and the subsequent mold growth. Nothing will be left habiatable.

People have literally lost everyting - homes, jobs, communities, etc. There will have to be a ton bankruptcies - can you imagine owing a mortgage to the bank for a house that no longer exists and essentially is now worthless for many years to come? :confused3 How many people will have sufficient insurance, if any?

I'm overwhemed looking at the images and hearing the stories and thinking about how much more will unfold over the next few days. With any disaster like this - there is always a period of a few days before the extent is known to anyone except those in the middle of it. I don't think any of this is hype - I think it's going to get a lot worse before it gets any better.

We are on the outskirts of the remnants of Katrina here in Maine and even we have a flood watch up for most of the state. I just can't imagine what has happened to the states in the path of her worst rains.

BCV23 said:
Erin, your whole region is in our prayers. We stayed at the Grand Hotel near you one time. How did it make out?

So many people are going to need so much help. It breaks your heart to hear of the conditions and devastation.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, my internet is sporadic today.

The Grand Hotel did not do well at all. In fact the storm surge in Mobile
Bay was the worst it has ever been. The new part of the hotel faired well, but the old section (to your left as you drive toward the pool) was seriously damaged. The dining room and ballroom were completely flooded. I think a good bit of the old section will have to be demolished and rebuilt. This left 800-1000 people without jobs just in our little town. They are saying that they will be closed for approx. 1 year. I have not seen pictures yet, they wouldn't let the news stations in to film anything, so this is just what I have heard. If I find some pictures later, I'll be sure to PM you with a link.

My prayers are with the gulf coast.

We had heavy rain in Indiana on Tuesday from Katrina. On Tuesday evening my brother-in-law and sister saw a car miss judge a flooded intersection and go into a drainage ditch. The car starting sinking immediately. My sister and brother-in-law jumped out of their car and ran to the sinking car and managed to get kids out of the backseat (the smallest child was an infant in a car seat). My sis said the water was already filling up the back seat when they jerked the back car door open. The dad in the front seat was struggling to get his seat belt undone to get to the kids. Everybody got out all right, but sis said that she was still shaking when she got home - scared her to death.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter