• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Time limit on 5k? Can you be swept?

goofeygirl

DIS Veteran
I am doing the 5k with family members...one family member is constantly reminding me how slow she will be. Lets say she is quite dormant and her idea of working out is rolling out of bed for coffee. She agreed to do this with me because of my persistence...and I am hoping when she earns her medal it will inspire her to do more with her life...okay so that's a bit deep...but true.

My father also does the 5k. We all did it last year together and did it in over an hour on the clock (not our time, because we put ourselves in the last coral but still)..my cousin is thinking that is fast! My cousin is also in her mid 40's...so we are not talking senior citizen here either.

With her reminding me of her lack of movement in life (she does go to the parks all the time and walks around) ... I am now wondering is there a time limit to this and what is it? I did not see it in the rundisney page...and I know they say they have that 16min mile rule but I know it didn't apply to the 5k..just from what I saw last year.

I was in the last corral for the Jingle Jungle 5k and waited in some long lines for characters (including character change-outs) and toward the end of the race there were security people in golf carts and on bikes driving slowly up on the last "runners" (actually they were walking). The end of the Jingle Jungle is a long "out and back" on a backstage road so it was pretty easy to see the back of the pack.

Supposedly no one gets swept, and I didn't see anyone get swept, but I suspect they would not have allowed her to stop.

Okay.

I think we will be fine except she is completely out of shape. She talks like a 99 year old who needs a walker and a lot of time to get around...which is actually why I want her to do this race. I am also hoping to get photos with charactors but that might be pushing it...time wise.

I am looking forward to it.

I would only say that yes folks CAN get swept but the limit is not enforced strongly as the race is a fun run. As long as one keeps moving there is rarely an issue. The last runners usually finish in the 65-70 minute range

If we cannot complete the 5k within 70 minuets after crossing the start line...I will sweep myself!

If we cannot complete the 5k within 70 minuets after crossing the start line...I will sweep myself!

:rotfl2:
my 4'8" wife runs them in 55-60 minutes. She was faster when I was pushing her training but a med makes pushing too hard a bad idea.

I ran at about a 10 min/mile pace between character stops, but waiting in lines adds up fast, and I finished in about an hour. I was also in the last corral. I guess just keep an eye on the clock before deciding to get into a 10-15 minute character line.

Nah, I am just joking. I have to make sure I get my band so that I can eventually get my Dopey medal.

The person I am doing this with...keeps telling me how dreadfully slow she is...walking is walking too fast for her. My guess, we will do it in about an hour and fifteen minuets. I think that is what the goal is...assuming we don't stand in line for photos...that added up we might be talking an hour and a half. This person doesn't like to exersize at all despite what her doctor keeps telling her. She is overweight and she smokes so that doubles her problems. I am hoping this will motivate her. Or at least we would have a good laugh.

And if there is a danger of her getting swept, drop her like a hot potato! ;) You've got a Dopey medal to earn!

Nah, I am just joking. I have to make sure I get my band so that I can eventually get my Dopey medal.

The person I am doing this with...keeps telling me how dreadfully slow she is...walking is walking too fast for her. My guess, we will do it in about an hour and fifteen minuets. I think that is what the goal is...assuming we don't stand in line for photos...that added up we might be talking an hour and a half. This person doesn't like to exersize at all despite what her doctor keeps telling her. She is overweight and she smokes so that doubles her problems. I am hoping this will motivate her. Or at least we would have a good laugh.

I know a couple of people like this and no matter how hard I try, they just won't exercise or get enthused by a local 5k or anything! I've had to resign myself that that is their choice. Some people are just more sedentary by nature and don't like active anything. What is entertaining for me holds no interest for them and I just have to accept that. All that being said, I think you are doing the right thing by encouraging her and this race might be the one thing that changes her course. :-)

Lol...wouldn't that be a bummer? Here I am trying to do the Dopey and I get swept during the 5k!

No. If there was chance of that, I would have to say bah bye and meet you at the buffet or something. Geeze...I hope we are not THAT slow!

Meanwhile...yes some people just don't like to move. This person is on a ton of meds and has a host of illnesses. I think they are mostly caused by the fact that she doesn't like to move around much, is over weight (because of the lack of motion and choice of foods-I am guilty of this too but I do move around) and she smokes...not a good combo.

She told me that she has a host of problems that may prevent her from this 'race'...but we will see....I am building her up for it...the whole Disney experience and she loves Disney.

I have rheumatoid arthritis and I'm still planning on doing the Expedition Everest 5K in May. I timed myself a few weeks ago, just on a walk around the neighborhood for as long as I could comfortably go, and I was doing 19 min miles. No jogging, no power walking, nothing. Just regular speed walking. Barring any bad flareups or injuries (knock on wood), I shouldn't have a problem getting down to the recommended 16 min per mile pace, at the very least.

From the coach

There is a perception many newer runners have the the experienced folks are looking down their noses at folks who are just beginning. Honestly, that is far from the truth for most of us. We all started out, had bad days, wanted to quit or recovered from something at least once if not numerous times in our running careers. Many of us love looking into the eyes of a newer runner to recall the good old days when the sport was new and fresh. We willingly offer advice to anyone looking like they need some help. Most runners applaud those who are obviously making the struggle of just getting to the line as we know that if they can continue, they will find a life that can be less burdensome than one on the couch or shackled with a cruel disease. I once was a couch potato who would be winded just walking to the mail box. I know how freeing a simple 5k bug can be and how many doors it can open.

I want to say to those who are running their first 5k in the next year WELCOME! Stand up and be counted as a runner! Come and run and enjoy the race. There will be a point that you may wonder why am I here... hold you head up and take a deep breath and smile as you are a runner and the next corner will hold a new surprise.

Welcome to the party:dance3:

* runner means runner, jogger, run/walker, walker, wheelie - basically anyone with the desire to toe the line and see what they are made of or wanting to get/keep moving.

What I love for this person with whom I am walking the 5k with is for her to feel that sense of pride when she crosses the finish line...and how the folks at Disney like to drape the medal over your neck rather than hand it to you. How the crowds of people cheer you on when you finish...I want her to cross that finish line and accept that adorable medal over her neck and drape it proudly over her and then I want her to want more.

AND we will wear our 5k medals all day that day too!

She is looking forward to it and she is scared of it. She tells me she might be too sick that day and then she tells me she should be fine that day. I think she has let too many opportunities slip by her from fear alone. Perhaps this will help and maybe it wont but whatever happens, if she does it then it will be something she will never forget even if she only does it once.

I am new to running/walking. This will be my first disney 5K though I do aspire to bigger and better in the future though. I started walking early 2013 and I just run alittle but I have done 3 5K this year and each has been an improvement for me.... I am excited and nervous about disney but I will do this. A friend and I our signed up-it will be her first ever 5K. I read through the posts here just to gain some insight. good luck to everyone and thanks for the information shared here.

I would be a bit worried about meeting the pacing requirements for the Dopey Medal. Maybe someone has some insight into how they verify your completion of all four races. Since no time is taken in the 5K maybe you are good to go (slower).

This is from the description page:

"Participants will run the 5K, 10K, Half Marathon and Marathon, and if you complete all four races within the pacing requirements you will be awarded the Goofy Race and a Half Challenge medal and the brand new Dopey Challenge finisher medal..."

I know as long as you cross the finish line in all races you will get your medals. Even though they have that written down...no one is checking to make sure you maintained a certain pace for you medals.

I've also seen people saying that they got swept but were still given the medal when they were returned to the staging area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter