• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tipping car transport driver. How much?

floridafam

DIS Veteran
Is it customary to tip a car transport driver? DS is having his car shipped from FL to CA. He is paying a set flat rate. Should he tip the driver upon delivery? Thanks.

Yes! Not sure how much percent but a nice tip if the car is delivered as promised, when it's expected.

Yes! Not sure how much percent but a nice tip if the car is delivered as promised, when it's expected.
:confused: You mean if they just do the basic job you've paid for and it doesn't get stolen, or the transport rig crashes or some other calamity doesn't occur along the way? Why?
Based on what they are being paid on average, I would say no.
https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salaries/Long-Haul-Truck-Driver-Salary-per-Week
:confused3 What services do Americans not tip for? I truly don't understand. Auto transport is very expensive; my nephew just paid $900 for a haul from the Canadian border in Montana to Portland, OR. It was on a truck with 4 other vehicles. A tip of +/- 15% would be $135.00. Multiplied by 5 that's $675.00 for about 12 hours work. Again, why?

We recently transported a car from NJ to GA. The car was picked up within 2-4 hours of booking it. The guy who came was very nice. The car was delivered to GA to my husband in less than 24 hours. My husband tipped him because of a great job. I'm not certain of amount but probably in the range around $100. We've transported vehicles from NJ to California and California to GA and this was by far the best experience.

No I wouldn't tip.

For some it may depend on how it was done. If it was like I mentioned in one of your other threads on this subject (I think you've created several on this topic) you paid a broker which then contracts out the work.

I’d say 20%
Do you know how much car transports cost? 20% is an outrageous amount to tip for something like that. Most people who would even dream of tipping for car transport are usually not going to base it on a flat percentage but rather a flat dollar amount. In some cases that may end up being more than 20% in other cases it's far less.

:confused3 What services do Americans not tip for? I truly don't understand. Auto transport is very expensive; my nephew just paid $900 for a haul from the Canadian border in Montana to Portland, OR. It was on a truck with 4 other vehicles. A tip of +/- 15% would be $135.00. Multiplied by 5 that's $675.00 for about 12 hours work. Again, why?
A very personal and controversial choice. I would say for me, generally services provided by people earning at or near minimum wage get a tip. Not people where they person providing the service is the owner of the business or where giving them a tip could get them fired.

The driver said he would be here this morning. Not here yet

The transport is $1,000.

I have an appt at 4:00 so I’m certain that’s when he will show up.

A very personal and controversial choice. I would say for me, generally services provided by people earning at or near minimum wage get a tip. Not people where they person providing the service is the owner of the business or where giving them a tip could get them fired.
Honestly how much the person is paid shouldn’t be a determining factor in tipping. With minimum wage going up and up, there are many who are working what were once good paying jobs that are now at or near minimum wage because other wages haven’t increased to compensate for the increases in minimum wage. If someone is “doing their job” no tip should be required or expected. If the person is going above & beyond to provide exceptional service then a tip should be considered.

Honestly how much the person is paid shouldn’t be a determining factor in tipping. With minimum wage going up and up, there are many who are working what were once good paying jobs that are now at or near minimum wage because other wages haven’t increased to compensate for the increases in minimum wage. If someone is “doing their job” no tip should be required or expected. If the person is going above & beyond to provide exceptional service then a tip should be considered.
See, I come from a different side. I worked a number of minimum wage jobs that were not tipped and never understood why my work wasn't worthy of a tip, and someone else's was. I was out in the 100 degree heat washing and vacuuming rental cars, and at the restaurant next door, someone was making the same wage in air conditioned comfort and getting a tip. Once I was out in the professional world, my rule of thumb was always I don't tip someone making more than me. Not sure about now with no money coming in for a couple of years, and living off savings.

See, I come from a different side. I worked a number of minimum wage jobs that were not tipped and never understood why my work wasn't worthy of a tip, and someone else's was. I was out in the 100 degree heat washing and vacuuming rental cars, and at the restaurant next door, someone was making the same wage in air conditioned comfort and getting a tip. Once I was out in the professional world, my rule of thumb was always I don't tip someone making more than me. Not sure about now with no money coming in for a couple of years, and living off savings.
What I was saying is that someone making minimum wage or near doesn’t deserve a tip just because of what they are paid to do their job.

See, I like look at that and say if you want the tips being earned in the restaurant, then go apply for a job there.

See, I like look at that and say if you want the tips being earned in the restaurant, then go apply for a job there.
It can be a very lucrative job for sure at the right restaurant. Some of the servers at Club 33 in Disneyland have worked there for decades. They stay because they can easily bring in $100k in tips a year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter