Tipping in Japan.

helenk

I wish I was in Disney World
I know you don't tip at restaurants or cab drivers. Do I tip the drivers of the car service that is taking from the airport and back?

Car service was the only person we tipped (based on info from other boards where they suggested tipping) and they were appreciative.

Car service was the only person we tipped (based on info from other boards where they suggested tipping) and they were appreciative.

Must be a car service for foreigners run by foreigners. In these cases, it's common that American tourists tip them but tourists from other countries don't. Searching on the internet if tipping is expected in English is far more likely to lead to answers like it is "customary" than when searching in other languages because of all the Americans who insist on tipping even when it's actually not the norm.

Tipping in such cases contributes to creating an "American tax" when service people start expecting Americans to tip. This American tax is starting to to exist in Japan for guided tours and car services run by foreigners and specifically targeting foreigners. In other situations, a tip will likely make the recipient uncomfortable and/or confused.

Must be a car service for foreigners run by foreigners. In these cases, it's common that American tourists tip them but tourists from other countries don't. Searching on the internet if tipping is expected in English is far more likely to lead to answers like it is "customary" than when searching in other languages because of all the Americans who insist on tipping even when it's actually not the norm.

Tipping in such cases contributes to creating an "American tax" when service people start expecting Americans to tip. This American tax is starting to to exist in Japan for guided tours and car services run by foreigners and specifically targeting foreigners. In other situations, a tip will likely make the recipient uncomfortable and/or confused.
I heard that even japanese tour guides are getting used to tipping since Americans have been. We of course did not tip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter