Tipping Question again - how much do you tip the maids?

What would you tip for a 2-br Unit

• None

• Under $3

• Between $3 and $6

• Over $6

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We do not tip on T &T day but at the end of our stay. We use the $1 per person rate.

Now, we have on occassion tip housekeeping at BCV for the nightly turn down service. Since this is beyond the norm and in the month of Dec. an aditional $1 per night seemed right. We did get exceptional service and a few extra goodies.

Sandy

While we rarely stay in a 2 bedroom unit, for a studio I usually leave $3 on trash/ towel days and $5 on full cleaning days and checkout. ONe bedrooms I leave $4 on trash and towel (becasue even though IS technically trash and towel, I often find a little "Tidying" done", and $8 for full cleaning and check-out, especially if I forget to wash the dishes before we're ready to leave for the parks.

I also do not tip housekeeping.

nydizfan,

I guess that I am ultra cheap because I do not tip the bartender either. Never did, never will. I have put a dollar in a cup that was on the bar once, but it was in an Irish pub and can only assume what that was contributing to.....hmmm ;) .

I usually leave $10 at the end of a long stay. I do this in hopes the family checking in later that day gets a really, really clean room that was serviced by a happier housekeeper. Naive maybe, but it certainly can't hurt.

I had three teenagers with me. The smell of socks alone made the tip seem appropriate. ;-)
:rotfl:
I wondered why I saw the maids in Chem. Gear !!!

Disney clearly states in the documents given at check in that housekeeping is NOT a tipped position.

Totally up to you if you do. To me that just means, they are not required to report tips for IRS purposes.

And I think it means that they could actually get in trouble if they accept one. At least according to a CM that I talked to, the non-tipped positions are not supposed to accept tips.

Originally posted by Cruelladeville
I don't understand why anyone would tip a maid who only leaves new towels once during a trip.
Well, someone has to clean that room before the next guest arrives. And my guess is that there are LOTS of guests who don't exactly leave the villas in tip top shape when they check out.

I tip a modest amount depending size of accommodation. And I do try to do it the day the service is rendered, but sometimes forget.

Also, I've had housekeeping do a few things to help out between cleaning days a couple of times. They were reluctant, but finally accepted, a tip from me right then and there.

In the financial total of a WDW trip, tipping is a pretty small piece of the pie. :)

Zero. Zip. Nada. That is their job. My husband is a heavy equipment operator. He tears houses and buildings down. If the contractor is content with his performance he gets a pat on the back. He certainly does not get a tip. I can't see why hk would get tips??

Nope, don't tip unless they do something extra above and beyond the normal housekeeping duties. This would be having to bring up an extra something (like a mixer), or if there was a need for extra work like an overflowed toilet etc.

Fellow posters who have stated that housekeeping is not supposed to be tipped by DVC members are correct, nonetheless...

We tip roughly on the $1/person/day plan.

Housekeeping completely cleaned the unit before we checked in, changed the bedding, etc. so that when we arrive it is pleasant and inviting. Especially for a one or two bedroom, that's a lot of work. So they do a lot more than bring towels or take out the trash on the 4th day. For this alone these hardworking folks deserve a few bucks.

Also, housekeeping staff tends to be a low paying position, and they are working hard so I can relax and have a good time. The few dollars we leave is a $1/hour raise for the day for them. It is a small, but to my mind, necessary thanks for helping to make our stays so wonderful.

mydizfan

i tip, because i was told once, that the maids, make $5.25 per hour and sometimes, work 2 to 3 jobs, to make it in life.
I am so grateful, my life, is not like that.

We get housekeeping daily at VB and I tip $5 (family of four)

I tip a lot more if I need to-if one of the kids gets sick or something and we request anything from housekeeping.

I missed the maid with the tip last stay and when I tried to tip her she wouldn't take it and said that cleaning our room was "a pleasure."

She also took one of my daughter's shirts out of the trash and left a note that she thought it had accidentally fallen into the trash. We actually meant to throw it out. I thought that was pretty nice.

I don't usually tip housekeeping for DVC because they take out the trash and change the towels once. That is their job and they are not exactly going beyond the call of duty. I too feel guilty though. On the other hand on our first day at Wilderness we put groceries in the freezer and went to the parks. When we came back everything was thawed - it seems someone had turned off the fridge during cleaning. We complained because I said if the fridges are turned off there should be a sign somewhere to tell us to turn them on (Mike in housekeeping told us they were not supposed to be turned off in the first place). Then he picked up the spoiled food from us and on his way into work the next day stopped at the grocery store and replaced all the food. When he delivered it to our door we tried to tip him and he absolutely refused to take a tip. He really made my day!

We have left tips sometimes and other times nothing depending on the lenght of stay. I often wonder who gets the tip, it seems each day there is a different person taking care of the rooms! How do you know that the person who picks up the tip is the one who actually serviced your unit?

I have never understood tipping housekeeping. I tip the server in restaurants who have performed a service for me. I would tip a bellboy, but I choose not to use their service, because it again is a personal service. I do not see the housekeeper. They are doing their job as I do mine, not doing something personal. BTW I am a high school math teacher.

I tip about 5.00 on trash and towel day and a dollar a day per person at the end. I figure anyone who cleans up after other people deserve extra because I am sure they are not paid enough for what they do.

I do have a hard time tipping bartenders after they just pour a drink but cleaning toliets deserve extra. Figure it as just part of the trip expense.

Continue onto the tipping topic. We stayed at VWL for 5 nights and I just took some garbage bags and some dishwasher detergetns, the maids did not even come in.

We (2 adults) have 2 little kids (2 and 5) and my mother in a dedicated 2-br. We tipped $6 at the end of the stay.

How much do you think is the right amount of tipping in this situation? In a hotel, we tip every day for housekeeping. But since there is no housekeeping here during our stay, what do most members do?

Thanks

Nothing for the situation you described.

I only tip for the day they come in. The same as if someone brought something to my room. IF they bring me towels I tip $2, if they do a full cleaning then I tip $5. This is all for a studio. If I stay in a larger unit I generally will double it.

If the room is clean at check-in, we have sheets for the sofabeds, the dishes are clean, and we are stocked with what consumables are supposed to be there then I would tip mousekeeping.

However, in 15+ DVC stays, that has not even happened once, so I guess I don't tip!

I no longer tip the runners who bring me the missing supplies. Sure, if we run out of TP or consumables mid-stay I'll tip that runner, but I no longer tip the runners bringing me missing sheets or toiletries on arrival day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter