Tips and insurance

SMARTY

Earning My Ears
I am planning a cruise for 7/26/03 with our family of 7 (5 children). How important is trip insurance and what is the tipping schedule?

To me, trip insurance is essential to my peace of mind. Through our TA, the insurance (not Disney but another carrier) was about $50 per person. I felt that since I was already paying thousands for the trip, the extra was worth it. We didn't end up using it, but I felt having it helped me relax and enjoy the trip, knowing everything was taken care of.

A tipping guide is included in cruise documents. It includes your stateroom host/hostess and dinidng staff, be prepared to spend around $300. These tips you arrange through Guest Services. You tip individually for room service, drinks, etc.

A friend scheduled her cruise for July 2002 and we scheduled our cruise in December - she didn't want to spend the extra money on insurance (but we signed up for it). They got to Cozumel and her husband had a heart attack while on the ship. The took him to a hospital, and the cruise line would not let them back on the ship because they did not have insurance. She couldn't even come back on board to get their luggage, so she lived in the same clothes for four days. She had to sign a $10,000 promissary note with Carnival to get transportation to fly them back to a hospital in Miami.

We, of course, because we had insurance, had no problems.

The recommended tipping schedule from Disney is a s follows:

This is per person:

- For a family of 7 (kids count the same as adults), multiply theses amounts by 7

3 Night 4 night 7 night cruise
Dining Room Server 11.00 14.75 25.75
Dining Room Asst Server 8.00 10.75 18.75
Dining Rm Head Server 2.75 3.75 6.50
Stateroom Host/Hostess 10.75 14.50 25.25

So for instance, your family of seven, if you took a 7 day cruise "should" tip according to Disney's "guidelines" $76.25 per passenger for a total of $533.75.

Other tips include:

Bartender - usually 15% is already added to your bill
Bag Porters - $1 - 2 per bag
Room Service - usually $1-2 per person
Kids Counselors - at your discretion

Or any other cast member who deserves it.

Not cheap, thats for sure.

- David

Access America had a "family plan" that I read about here on the boards that my AAA agent knew nothing about. It is through AAA, but I don't know if you have to belong or just use their travel agency. It would have saved us $85, but it was too late for us, I would have lost pre existing waiver.

It is called the Family CAre plan with Code #1495. You only pay for adults, kids are free but still included.

Just to play it safe - buy the insurance and get the peace of mind that you probably will never use it!

Rae

Hi SMARTY.

How important is trip insurance

You are a family of 7. The risk exposure is quite significant. Why lose a substantial sum of money when you can protect it for a nominal cost?

Whatever you do, have a most enjoyable cruise...

I have elderly parents at home, so we always get the trip insurance. Give me a better piece of mind in case of an emergency. You must pay for the insurance within 2 weeks of putting a deposit on your cruise if you want the pre-existing waiver clause. Worth it to me.

But I think the following should be required reading for every cruiser in order for them to make an informed decision:

The following Eileen Ogintz column from 6/23/02. This will especially interest the Eastern cruisers because it specifically mentions the abominable health care facilities on St. Maartin. Even those of you who have checked with your insurance carriers to see if foreign medical care is "covered" should be asking some tough questions of them after reading this article. For example, will your insurance carrier fly you and your child immediately to Miami or another acceptable medical center if you are not satisfied or happy with the local health facilities? I would want that specifically mentioned in writing before I would assume that they would.

Coping with ailments while on the road
by Eileen Ogintz

June 24

After two blissful days at sea, the Olsons were in high spirits when they left their cruise ship to explore the Caribbean island of St. Maarten.

Then, two-year-old Haley was hit by a truck.

"I was right there," said Doug Olson of Racine, WI, still incredulous a year later. "One second was all it took."

One second and the entire extended family—there were 14 family members on vacation together—were plunged into every family's worst vacation nightmare, made worse by being in a foreign country. Haley was conscious, her leg badly injured. Someone called an ambulance, and the family raced to a small nearby hospital

"They didn't even want to look at her at the hospital without cash up front," said Kim Olson. "We had trouble even getting an outside line to call off the island. I was a complete basket case."

Even the most minor mishap or illness—a sprained ankle in Colorado, the stomach flu in California, an ear infection at the beach—can wreak havoc with a family vacation. That's why it's important to play the "what if" game before you go.

What if somebody gets sick?

"Treat a minor illness the way you would at home," said Dr. Tim Vega, an Illinois family practitioner and spokesman for the American Academy of Family Physicians.

Make sure you've got a thermometer and fever-reducing medication, as well as first-aid supplies like antibiotic cream, Band-Aids, and gauze.

Don't stubbornly adhere to a vacation itinerary if an ailing family member isn't up to it.

"Don't push a child to keep going if they really feel sick," said Vermont child psychiatrist David Fassler. "It's important to make sure a child doesn't feel like they've done anything wrong or ruined the family's trip. Everyone gets sick sometimes."

If the ailment is worse than a minor injury or illness but still not an emergency situation, first call your pediatrician or family physician at home for advice, suggests Dr. Richard Wayne, medical director of the Christus Santa Rosa Children's Hospital in San Antonio, TX.

Physicians say that if someone in your family has a chronic condition like asthma or diabetes, it's wise to get a just-in-case referral before you leave home, and to carry a list of medications that family member uses. In the U.S. and other countries with sophisticated health care systems, families can find medical help at a children's hospital or university-affiliated medical center. And American consulates abroad can sometimes refer American tourists to English-speaking and Western-trained physicians.

The Olsons weren't that lucky. The doctors on St. Maarten couldn't even assess the true extent of Haley's injuries.

"The medical equipment they had just couldn't compare to the United States," Doug Olson said.

Even the ship's doctor who came to the hospital couldn't help. That's when the Olsons became the poster family for travel insurance when traveling outside the country. Haley's grandmother remembered that the family had purchased a policy from Travel Guard International, a leading travel insurance carrier.

"We never considered the possibility of a medical emergency," said Doug Olson "We just wanted to cover costs in case our luggage got lost."

Within 36 hours of Haley's accident, she and her parents were flown to Miami, where orthopedists quickly discovered she had multiple leg and pelvic fractures and put her in a body cast. The insurance covered the medical evacuation, the flight home from Miami, and Haley's follow-up orthopedic treatment for a year—more than $30,000 worth of coverage. Plus, the cost for the rest of the cruise was refunded.

"This could have wiped out all our savings," Kim Olson said. "I won't go anywhere now without travel insurance."

That's true of many travelers, many of whom are willing to pay hefty charges (typically five percent to seven percent of the cost of their trip) for travel insurance.

Travel Guard's business has jumped 70 percent since last fall, in the wake of September 11, said company spokesman Dan McGinnity. To that end, Travel Guard and other insurers have added new lower-cost policies to cover travelers in case they get stranded as a result of a terrorist incident or face a medical emergency.

"There's a new focus on safety," McGinnity said.

Travel insurance policies can cover families if a child (or parent) gets sick and the family can't go on the vacation they had planned, or if the family is forced to return home in the event of an emergency. If you're traveling solo with children, some policies will provide a chaperone for the kids in case you are incapacitated.

The website www.insuremytrip.com highlights different travel insurance plans from different companies and lets consumers shop for the best deal. Travel Guard is offering new "Sense of Security" plans. (Call 800-826-1300.) Access America is offering "Travel with Ease." (Call 866-807-3982.) Travelex Insurance Services offers free coverage to children under 16 if their parents have coverage. (Call 800-228-9792.)

Jeanne Salvatore, vice president of consumer affairs for the nonprofit Insurance Information Institute, warns travelers to make sure they need the extra protection before signing on the dotted line. She says these policies are an especially good idea for those who have paid in advance for expensive trips, or for those taking active vacations where they may face a higher risk of injury.

As for the Olsons, young Haley has completely recovered from her injuries, her mom said.

"People always say it won't happen to them, but it can and does happen to you," Kim Olson said. "You've got to be prepared."

Smartee:

We'll be cruising with you! This is our 1st cruise, and I took advice from others here and got my insurance from insuremytrip.com I do feel better having done that, but I will say I went with one of the least expensive plans I could get as we are a family of 5 and cost was a concern for me (especially when my TA priced it out through them---WOW it was high).

Tips--already covered by replies above mine.

We (july 26 eastern cruisers) have a thread already started. If you can, add a post to that thread and tell us about your group. You can also see specifics about ours. :)

You were right, that link saved me a little more than 50% off what my TA was recommending.

I'm surprised this is not discussed more. For a Family of five
Disney wanted close to $500, AAA wanted $410.

The travelamerica site with link to AAA is about $120. (kids free)
https://www.accessamerica.com/aaa

Why would anyone not buy insurance at that price.?
They have even added some provision for Terrorist activity to their policy.

The only thing I'm not sure is, you have to purchase the insurance based on your fare. I told them the invoice did not break it down so they instructed me to divide by the number of passengers.

I asked if they needed a copy of the invoice, No.

So I calculate this all on my own. I can just see the old insurance scam is you think you are insured and then find out you made a mistake. I guess Disney should have that breakdown.

It is common for auto insurance companies to ask how many miles you drive to work. Many people say less than the truth thinking the premiums will be lower. Sometimes they are. But let me tell you if you have a major claim, at the higher end of the policy, the insurance company will deny the claim. This can be their out.

Originally posted by fred ferdlap
Why would anyone not buy insurance at that price.?
They have even added some provision for Terrorist activity to their policy.

I think a good portion of the issue is that for the most part people (believe) they are 1) covered for medical emergencies by their normal health insurance, 2) have no intention (or belief of) cancelling the trip themselves, 3) do not believe Disney would go belly up and cancel the cruise.

So, for the most part, trip insurance in the above case, if you are covered all the way around, is unnecessary. Yes, getting medical attention abroad could be a pain if you need to pay out of pocket and then get reimbursed by your insurance company at home. But, like all insurance, it is a calculated risk and something that you never anticipate using.

As far as the wide variation on prices you've seen, I would double check on the plan that Access America is quoting you and verify that the coverages are the same as the ones quoted by AAA directly and DCL. Access America does have a number of plans, and you need to check the one you've selected includes trip cancellation insurance and everything else DCL/AAA is including for the higher price. I think part of the reason DCL/AAA is higher to begin with is that they quote based on all the members of your party - the kids are not included free. Granted, that doesn't make up the whole difference, but it is part of it.

So very glad that Haley is doing well.

We get the best possible coverage regardless of cost - you can't put a price on a life.

Rae

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter