• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tips for not getting sick on Guardians!

We're about to take our first trip since Guardians has been in the parks and I'm curious of a couple of things. I've watched some videos but it's obviously dark in there, so difficult to tell.

Is the coaster track itself fairly tame? Other than a fast launch, it doesn't seem like it has giant drops.
Confused - does the ride go backwards?
Lastly, is the part that makes most people motion sick the occasional spin (or....not occasional??? And if spinning, how much?) of the ride vehicle along with the videos constantly playing on both sides?

We are not motion sickness people for the most part unless my husband is going to be spun like the teacups for a decent amount of time, which is where he draws the line. I've ridden every Disney coaster except RnR and I'm good with them, same with the rest of our fam (except our youngest but she just won't ride any of them and that's okay).

I get this is a clearly individualized experience for sickness, just trying to figure out what people believe is the most common cause of it.

We have found that the front row of the individual car makes my daughter and I less sick, and we can easily see the track in front of us as we ride. Sitting in the back row of the car we can't see it as easily. Also just looking at where it points us to, not around from side to side!

The track is tame and smooth - no huge drops. The ride does go backwards for a time. The cars rotate during the forward motion. It's not a spin, but a rotation to direct your attention a certain way. It's smooth as well, and not a full rotation or spin. The thing that made me a little "hmmmm" - not sick, but a bit disconcerted - was when the car was rotated or moving a different direction than I was looking (I turned my head to try to watch a video in the distance). When I just let the movement of the car and coaster dictate what I was looking at/paying attention to, it was much better.

If you think it will make you sick it probably will,
and too worry about is the worst part of it.
just don’t ride it and say you did .
one little mess can ruin your whole trip.
been there and done that.

Original poster here! So I’ve ridden Guardians 3x this week. As I said before, in December it make me so nauseous. I was afraid I would vomit but I hadn’t eaten anything.

So I took Bonine (1 tablet) and rode. Still a little queasy but better than before. Still with nothing on my stomach. Rode again this time taking 2 Bonine. Even better still. The third time I took 2 Bonine and ate a little beforehand and I would say for me that was the trick to really enjoying the ride!

I hate spinning rides and usually get nauseous. I rode GoG twice recently and I could barely tell it was spinning at all. I mean I knew it was happening based on how I could feel the car moving but it didn’t physically register that I was spinning. I didn’t get sick at all even without Dramamine (I forgot to take it, I didn’t skip intentionally). For reference sake, the ride I got most queasy from on our trip was Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure. 🤷‍♂️

Original poster here! So I’ve ridden Guardians 3x this week. As I said before, in December it make me so nauseous. I was afraid I would vomit but I hadn’t eaten anything.

So I took Bonine (1 tablet) and rode. Still a little queasy but better than before. Still with nothing on my stomach. Rode again this time taking 2 Bonine. Even better still. The third time I took 2 Bonine and ate a little beforehand and I would say for me that was the trick to really enjoying the ride!
This gives me hope! I rode GotG and was out of commission for a while. Eventually, had to go back to hotel. I swore I would never ride it again. Maybe I will give it a try with 2 Bonines and food.

I’d second the tip about looking forward, at least until you know the ride somewhat.

For me it took a couple or three rides before I knew what to expect enough to settle almost all my jitters. What’s left is the thrill of the ride as it should be.

You could try it and see if it works with a combination of some medication. Hope it helps! It’s by far my favorite ride

How far in advance did you take the medicine?

I've ridden Guardians once. Spent most of the time trying to tell myself that I'm not going to get sick.
Quite nauseous. I thought about getting Bonine from the drug store to take with me. Anyone tried this and did it help?
Any thing else I can do? I couldn't enjoy the ride from the sick feeling, where my DH got off super pumped saying how much he loved it! I want to love it too!! LOL
A friend of mine who feels sick on rides with screens focuses on his hands where he is gripping the ride safety bar. He loves the motion of the coaster itself, but the screens mess him up. When focused on his hands it takes the screens out of play and he's fine. Some people close their eyes, but I have heard mixed opinions on that. I also think a small dose of motion sickness medication helps, but take one the day before and then the morning of. When we go deep sea fishing people who only take the meds the morning of still get sick, but those who took a dose the day before are fine.

It helps to keep your head against the headrest, and not move it. Move your eyes, not your head.

Agree with the taking bonine the night before/morning of, do not look at the moon, and try to look at the track and not the screens. I always chew peppermint or ginger gum while riding. Also do not ride two times in a row (with a VQ and ILL back to back) if you can avoid it.

Club cool sells Seagram’s ginger ale in bottles. I buy a bottle before we ride and have it in my bag so after the ride I can sip it.

I wasn't planning to get an ILL for this, but I am beginning to think it might best be ridden late, as to not not make one sick during the day at Epcot. Want to enjoy my Epcot day and save possible sickness as late as possible?

I wasn't planning to get an ILL for this, but I am beginning to think it might best be ridden late, as to not not make one sick during the day at Epcot. Want to enjoy my Epcot day and save possible sickness as late as possible?
Definitely agree about riding late if you can. Some people feel sick for hours after a screen based ride, so it would really stink for that to ruin a big chunk of your day in the park.

You can also just get a VQ and use it anytime after your number is called, Guardians is way less restrictive about doing that as opposed to Tron.

Ever seen a ballerina doing pirouettes (spinning on their toes)? The ballerina will keep their head locked looking in ONE direction, even as the rest of their body spins. They'll whip their head around back to that same position once they've nearly completed the circle (we're humans, not owls lol)

Either don't move your head around while the ride is spinning, or take some over-the-counter motion sickness medication. I will say, avoid the "natural non-drowsy" Dramamine -- it's literally just a capsule filled with powdered ginger. Like, as in the seasoning. Lol it resulted in extreme airplane sickness for me once. YMMV though!

I took Bonine too. I felt sick the first time but convinced myself to try again later. It was much better the second time, I think because I knew what to expect. I also kept the lap bar a little looser from the start, as it seemed to tighten later so wasn’t squeezing me as much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter