• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

tips on time change?

babyruth

for the first time in forever
anyone have advice or experience on dealing with the time change/jetlag etc from eastern time US to Barcelona?

We went from Boston/JFK to Copenhagen last year. First transatlantic flight for most of our family. It was an overnight flight, landing around 11:30AM local time. None of us slept much on the flight, maybe 2 hrs at the most. We were lucky and our room was ready when we checked in at 1PM. We rested in our room for a few hours (DD18 took a little nap), and then we left the room at 4PM to explore, get dinner, etc. Just getting out while it was still daylight helped, and making an earlier night of it, getting to bed by 9PM. The next day we were adjusted. I was completely surprised at how easy it was. I do think being outside in the daylight definitely helped.

Some try going to bed a little later each night leading up to the day of travel, but that never seems to work for us. Like Geomom, we take overnight flights to Europe that land in the morning. DH can sleep on the flights but I never do. After arriving, we make it a point to stay moving - eat lunch, sight-see, swim, whatever, until around 6pm. Then, we eat a very light dinner, shower, and go to bed early. We usually sleep very well all through the night and wake up the next morning refreshed and on the correct time zone!

anyone have advice or experience on dealing with the time change/jetlag etc from eastern time US to Barcelona?

Alas, nope. And I travel from pacific time. No matter what I do, on day 3 I pretty much have to sleep all day. It's rotten.

My now-ex can change really quick. My son and I cannot. Though when we get home it's the same thing, but that's OK, since I'm a bit of a nightowl and a lazybones in the morning naturally, so staying on a more eastern timezone isn't a horrible thing. :)

Hope whatever you try works for you!!!!!

The best way I've found is to NOT take a nap when I get there. If I can get into my hotel room when I arrive, I'll take a shower and then either go out to whatever city and explore on my own or do something like an open-top bus tour, then plan an early-ish dinner and bed by 8 or 9. I usually sleep until breakfast the next morning and am pretty much on local time by that point.

Everyone is different, but the one tip I have seen consistently is to NOT go to sleep when you get there. The quicker you can get onto local time with sleeping and waking the better.

OK I'm going to stay positive about this LOL. I am most worried about our 5 year old...well and 17 yr old he gets pretty grumpy! Our flight leaves Boston at 550pm our time. So I should try and have them stay awake as much as possible?

We have traveled overseas many times and we have tried different methods. First, while you're on the plane try to get as much sleep as you can, even if it's just short naps. There is inevitably a crying child or someone having a conversation near you, so I would highly suggest earplugs, plus they block out the engine noise. Drink plenty of water (I also have a glass of wine to relieve my anxiety from occasional turbulence - lol). We head to the hotel and every time except once we have arrived before our room was ready (we typically arrive in the morning of course) so we just store our luggage and walk the city, exploring and getting our bearings. One time we did nap a couple of hours as soon as we arrived and honestly we were fine. But like others have said it really does help to get out while its daylight. Have a great time in Barcelona, it's a wonderful city!

OK I'm going to stay positive about this LOL. I am most worried about our 5 year old...well and 17 yr old he gets pretty grumpy! Our flight leaves Boston at 550pm our time. So I should try and have them stay awake as much as possible?
Definitely try to have them sleep on the plane! Some kids can sleep anywhere--and they'll be the ones feeling the best, lol. Walk around outside the day you arrive. I know everyone says not to take a nap, but sometimes you just need to, especially if you didn't sleep on the plane. If you do decide you need a nap, set an alarm so it's only a 1 hr nap, and then get yourself back outside. It really is the daylight that helps reset your internal clock.

I agree with Geomom, if you need one and can do it, just a short nap works wonders, get outside and get some fresh air (stroll Las Ramblas etc.) and then get to bed that first night at a decent time:thumbsup2

Last edited:
Really just grinning and bearing it is about the only way. My 8-year old did great last year on our ATL - BCN flight - he slept about 3 hours and adjusted to the time change very easily. (And he is pretty high maintenance so this was surprising.) My low-maintenance 11-year old, however, had a rough time adjusting and didn't sleep on the plane at all. So you really have no idea what to expect. I will say they overall did much better than I was expecting them to.

I've traveled overseas quite a bit, and rarely get any sleep on the plane. I agree with the above advice - any sleep on the plane is beneficial, and try not to stress out too much if you (or your kids!) aren't falling sleep. Adjust your expectations, if you don't expect to sleep and you get a few hours it is a bonus. Try to stay awake the next day, get out into the sunlight. If you need a nap set an alarm but make it short & don't hit the snooze button. Two other things that have helped me are
1. homeopathic anti-jet lag tablets. They are available from a number of brands (eg "No Jet Lag" or "Jet Lag Relief") and do seem to ease the transition for me
2. Melatonin - staying awake day one is really helpful, but sometimes the body is so out of sync that you can't fall asleep even when totally exhausted. Melatonin supplements can help with this. We went to France when DS was 2 and his pediatrician recommended Melatonin for the jet lag (I think the dose was 1mg, but check with your own doctor). It did seem to help him get back into a sleep routine. It helped me too!

Be prepared for crankiness for the first few days! Naps are ok after the first day, but they should be short. Sleeping for hours can make it hard to fall asleep at night. Also, as mentioned above push fluids. Transatlantic flights are super dehydrating which can mess up the digestive system too. Traveling with a constipated kid is not fun! Our pediatrician recommends Miralax for DS 5 who has problems even after a short flight. It completely dissolves and is pretty much undetectable so he'll actually drink it. I'd prefer something more natural but there is no way I can get him to drink prune juice. :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter