• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Another new thing to try: RunGum

Because of the contest I entered earlier this summer, I got an email for a free sample pack of RunGum. Previously, I've discussed the effects of caffeine on running performance in my Eureka post. Primarily, caffeine has been shown to dampen the perception of effort per the Psychobiological Model of Endurance:

Caffeine
Apparently an antagonist of adenosine which has a significant number of receptors in the brain that are responsible for sleep, memory, learning and cognition. Since caffeine occupies these receptors without actually activating them it is hypothesized that the perception of effort during endurance events is dampened and performance increases. An 11.2% improvement in performance was seen with a decreased perception of effort by using caffeine during running.

Caffeine and Running Performance – The Latest Research
Drinking Caffeine Before Running – How Coffee Will Help You Run Faster
Can Caffeine Enhance Your Running Performance? The Research on its Efficacy and Safety

I don't generally consume much caffeine, if at all. Not a coffee drinker, or energy drinks, or dark chocolate consumer, or soda drinker. So, I'll be interested to try it in training to see if I can tell a difference. Not too keen on trying to chew gum while running, but the research on caffeine's half life states that it's around 4-6 hours which means it could be chewed prior to the event and have a similar effect.

I'm a fan of caffeine for running. I know it can bother some people, but I drink a lot of coffee anyway, so I probably have a good tolerance. We usually drink coffee before morning runs and for long runs, I often fuel with Sport Beans with added caffeine. I do think it's a help to me to combat fatigue on long runs. I've never tried to chew gum and run at the same time. Might not be so easy. :)

I'm a fan of caffeine for running. I know it can bother some people, but I drink a lot of coffee anyway, so I probably have a good tolerance. We usually drink coffee before morning runs and for long runs, I often fuel with Sport Beans with added caffeine. I do think it's a help to me to combat fatigue on long runs. I've never tried to chew gum and run at the same time. Might not be so easy. :)

I'm interested to see how it goes since I'm quite the opposite and rarely have any caffeine in my diet. I'm getting three sample flavors with two pieces of 50mg caffeine gum each. I'm planning on trying one before an easy run, then trying one during an easy run, then trying one during a M Tempo run. If it all works out, then I'll use it on race day at around mile 17-19.

That is awesome!

Thanks! You might actually get to see it on tv during Badger games!

The jury is still out for me on caffeine. I do drink coffee and I do drink coffee before long runs & races, which is fine for me, but I'm having a hard time deciding whether taking gels w/ caffeine in them helps or hinders me during runs. In the past I have generally saved the ones with caffeine for the last 3 or 4 miles of a long run or race. Sometimes it helps gives me that extra push and sometimes I think it increases perceived effort. I've never tried taking it all throughout the run though...

The jury is still out for me on caffeine. I do drink coffee and I do drink coffee before long runs & races, which is fine for me, but I'm having a hard time deciding whether taking gels w/ caffeine in them helps or hinders me during runs. In the past I have generally saved the ones with caffeine for the last 3 or 4 miles of a long run or race. Sometimes it helps gives me that extra push and sometimes I think it increases perceived effort. I've never tried taking it all throughout the run though...

Interesting! It's nice to hear from another person who has tried it. I would have tried it earlier if my E-Gel nutrition had caffeine in them, but they don't. It's interesting that you had an increase in perception of effort.

I also enjoy caffeine and I have used a few gels/chews with caffeine during my trading cycle and race. I can absolutely notice an improvement, especially with my perceived effort level. For me it greatly improves my ability to run longer. I can't get down with gels during my runs, that explosion of warm gel makes me want to vomit mid run lol. So I use the black cherry chews, and I usually eat my chews slowly so I don't disrupt my breathing too much.

That said, I've read that caffeine in coffee isn't as effective as pure caffeine. There is something about the coffee that limits some of the effects, but also improved the health effects. Essentially coffee is probably a better daily vehicle, but chews or caffeine pills are better for performance boost.

I also enjoy caffeine and I have used a few gels/chews with caffeine during my trading cycle and race. I can absolutely notice an improvement, especially with my perceived effort level. For me it greatly improves my ability to run longer. I can't get down with gels during my runs, that explosion of warm gel makes me want to vomit mid run lol. So I use the black cherry chews, and I usually eat my chews slowly so I don't disrupt my breathing too much.

That said, I've read that caffeine in coffee isn't as effective as pure caffeine. There is something about the coffee that limits some of the effects, but also improved the health effects. Essentially coffee is probably a better daily vehicle, but chews or caffeine pills are better for performance boost.

Interesting! How much caffiene do your chews contain? It seems like the research was mostly based around 3-6 mg caffiene per kg body weight. I'm not sure chews would work for me since I don't have much space to carry stuff.

Caffeine is most effective when you abstain from it for 2 weeks before race day and then have a gel or something containing it about 15 minutes before your race. :)

That's interesting too. Where did you read that about the need to abstain? Shouldn't be too much of an issue for me since I don't really intake at all. I could see the 15 min because of the half life and need for absorbance time. How much do you take in mg per kg body weight?

Same question to @michigandergirl and @ZellyB - how much do you consume on a mg per kg body weight basis?

I don't abstain. :) I don't drink excessive amounts of caffeine, but typically I'll have 2-3 servings of either coffee or caffeinated soda in a day. So, if I'm calculating right that would mean I have about 4.0 mg/kg of body weight a day on a regular basis.

One cup of coffee before running would be about 1.5 mg/kg and then on a run longer between say 8-15 miles I'll ingest maybe 0.4 mg/kg of sport beans and then if I go past 15 maybe another 0.4.

This was quick calculations using google to tell me caffeine amounts and then scribbles on a post-it note, so I make no assurances on the accuracy of my calculations. :D

this isn't super scientific but caffeine makes me pee. Like a lot more than normal. So I stick to one cup a day when I can. However I don't drink any on race morning prior to the race...because of the above reason. My nerves alone are enough, I don't need another reason to wait for the porta potties.

HOWEVER...I have had success taking a cherry chocolate gel that contains caffeine during long races as long as I do not take two. Because then I feel a bit too buzzed (in the fuzzy head way as opposed to the good alert way.) So my other gel is usually a non-caffeine citrus one. I do not have a large enough sample size yet to see if the caffeine is better at my 45 min mark or my 8 mile mark.

Work in progress.

I also will not usually have any coffee past the morning...except today I'm breaking my rule because I'm exhausted and I hope I don't have to pee on my commute home. TMI!

Coffee makes me pee as well, but I still drink it before long runs and races, but just one cup. I just start drinking it about 2 hours beforehand. During, I use the Honey Stinger gels with caffeine, which has 32mg I think. I will use gels without caffeine up until about miles 8-9 of a half or miles 20-22 of a full, then switch to the ones with caffeine. I've had more experience trying this with half marathons, and I feel like it works well there, but not sure about any farther than that, still experimenting.

I don't abstain. :) I don't drink excessive amounts of caffeine, but typically I'll have 2-3 servings of either coffee or caffeinated soda in a day. So, if I'm calculating right that would mean I have about 4.0 mg/kg of body weight a day on a regular basis.

One cup of coffee before running would be about 1.5 mg/kg and then on a run longer between say 8-15 miles I'll ingest maybe 0.4 mg/kg of sport beans and then if I go past 15 maybe another 0.4.

This was quick calculations using google to tell me caffeine amounts and then scribbles on a post-it note, so I make no assurances on the accuracy of my calculations. :D

Thanks for the #math!

this isn't super scientific but caffeine makes me pee. Like a lot more than normal. So I stick to one cup a day when I can. However I don't drink any on race morning prior to the race...because of the above reason. My nerves alone are enough, I don't need another reason to wait for the porta potties.

HOWEVER...I have had success taking a cherry chocolate gel that contains caffeine during long races as long as I do not take two. Because then I feel a bit too buzzed (in the fuzzy head way as opposed to the good alert way.) So my other gel is usually a non-caffeine citrus one. I do not have a large enough sample size yet to see if the caffeine is better at my 45 min mark or my 8 mile mark.

Work in progress.

I also will not usually have any coffee past the morning...except today I'm breaking my rule because I'm exhausted and I hope I don't have to pee on my commute home. TMI!

Certainly don't want to increase the likelihood of needing to pee. That would definitely offset any minimal benefits from the Beet Juice and Caffeine. Sounds like a few test runs is a wise idea then.

Coffee makes me pee as well, but I still drink it before long runs and races, but just one cup. I just start drinking it about 2 hours beforehand. During, I use the Honey Stinger gels with caffeine, which has 32mg I think. I will use gels without caffeine up until about miles 8-9 of a half or miles 20-22 of a full, then switch to the ones with caffeine. I've had more experience trying this with half marathons, and I feel like it works well there, but not sure about any farther than that, still experimenting.

Thanks for the numbers!

Most of the research seems to be centered around 3-6mg per kg body weight. If I were to chew two pieces (100mg total), then that would be 1.3 mg/kg bw. So below the research level. I was interested to see how much others were taking to receive the perceived benefits.

Playing major catch-up today on disboards and just watched Gigi's starring roll! Cute overload!
They should give her free tuition for continuities sake, right?

Just wanted to let you know I'm still rooting for your training even though I've been a strava/disboard ghost.
giphy.gif

Playing major catch-up today on disboards and just watched Gigi's starring roll! Cute overload!

Thanks!

They should give her free tuition for continuities sake, right?

I wish! Technically the UW Bookstore isn't affiliated with the University. But I'd venture to guess she's got a few more opportunities coming her way for pictures and commercials.

Just wanted to let you know I'm still rooting for your training even though I've been a strava/disboard ghost.
giphy.gif

Thanks! :hug:

I'm rooting for you too! You're going to crush it!

That commercial was fun! G looked super cute!!

And I'll be very interested to see how you like using the gum while running! I can't chew gum because of jaw issues, but I do take sports beans with caffeine and I do notice a better pick up during a long run vs. when I take fuel with no caffeine.

Interesting! How much caffiene do your chews contain? It seems like the research was mostly based around 3-6 mg caffiene per kg body weight. I'm not sure chews would work for me since I don't have much space to carry stuff.

That's interesting too. Where did you read that about the need to abstain? Shouldn't be too much of an issue for me since I don't really intake at all. I could see the 15 min because of the half life and need for absorbance time. How much do you take in mg per kg body weight?

Same question to @michigandergirl and @ZellyB - how much do you consume on a mg per kg body weight basis?

So I usually will take a clif espresso energy shot when I first wake up, and that is 100 mg. I don't mind it, unless I'm running so I take a 2nd 15 min prior for another 100 mg. Then I packed 4 packs of chews(6 cubes/pack). 2 packs cafinated and 2 not. Each pack has 100 mg. This brings me to the max I'm comfortable taking, but I'm still not happy with the amount of sugar this ends up being... so I'm not sold on my method.

I put my chews in the pouch of my run belt, and it's easy to access. I usually will eat a cube per mile, and so it's my favorite way to get carbs. On my training runs I've gone out with just 100 mg and noticed a good boost too, so you won't need much.

There were a few more studies done showing how little you need to get an effect. Aditionally I read another study showing a minimal reduction in performance boost despite drinking multiple cups of coffee every day! My hypothesis is that coffee buzz gives you the remaining effect, and the more you drink the less that will present it's self. For you, not being used to caffeine you'll feel like superman!! So I will say as long as you get 100-200 mg you should see a really nice boost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter