To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Sorry to hear you are still having pain. I know it's difficult to attend a race when you know you will most likely not do your best. If you can still attend Chicago, I would do it. You've done large races, Disney, but Chicago is on a whole new level. The amount of fan support is overwhelming. I ran last year, and was blown away by the support of other runners and spectators. Especially in those last few miles where I was forced to walk due to gassing out on mile 21. The encouragement from spectators while I was clearly in pain was very uplifting and emotional. The sheer number of spectators was jaw dropping.

Re: Maurten 100 gels
Maurten doesn't mention this as a selling point online, but all the other hydrogels emphasize that they don't need extra water to process. Hydrogels have not been available in the US (for some reason), but I was able to get a sampling of SIS hydrogels from a European store. The packs are larger than your typical gu, etc, and the two I tried were downright nasty. So, if the Maurten gels aren't too big (and I imagine the taste is similar to their 160/320 drinks), you don't need to worry about scheduling your fueling around water stations. And, because it bypasses the stomach, you can take more carbs per hour. It's just a matter of how much you can carry. You'll need to find an extra source of salt, though.

Billy, what do you know about Generation UCAN? It's a fascinating story how the 'super starch' came about. (It's basic corn starch modified to last through the night for kids with a condition that prevented their bodies from holding glucose, so they could sleep without having to wake up every 2 hours to eat something.) It doesn't spike your insulin, so it's like a slow release carbohydrate, for lack of a better term. It seems to have gained a following in the ultra community, and for many marathoners. I wonder if it's a high enough octane fuel for a half marathon effort or shorter.

Sorry to hear you are still having pain. I know it's difficult to attend a race when you know you will most likely not do your best. If you can still attend Chicago, I would do it. You've done large races, Disney, but Chicago is on a whole new level. The amount of fan support is overwhelming. I ran last year, and was blown away by the support of other runners and spectators. Especially in those last few miles where I was forced to walk due to gassing out on mile 21. The encouragement from spectators while I was clearly in pain was very uplifting and emotional. The sheer number of spectators was jaw dropping.

Most definitely the reason I chose it as my next BQ attempt. Was hoping to get swept up in the crowds. We'll see what happens in the next few weeks.

Maurten doesn't mention this as a selling point online, but all the other hydrogels emphasize that they don't need extra water to process. Hydrogels have not been available in the US (for some reason), but I was able to get a sampling of SIS hydrogels from a European store. The packs are larger than your typical gu, etc, and the two I tried were downright nasty. So, if the Maurten gels aren't too big (and I imagine the taste is similar to their 160/320 drinks), you don't need to worry about scheduling your fueling around water stations. And, because it bypasses the stomach, you can take more carbs per hour. It's just a matter of how much you can carry. You'll need to find an extra source of salt, though.

So that would make a difference then. As most standard gels require that 2:1 ratio. Would be helpful to have something you wouldn't. Although only having a pack with 25 g carbs would mean quite a few packets to carry around if I was using this as an in-race marathon nutrition option. Four Egels (148 g carbs) vs Six Maurten (150 g carbs) provide the same amount of carbs, but do they take the same amount of space in the pocket? That would be an important trade-off for water consumption.

Billy, what do you know about Generation UCAN? It's a fascinating story how the 'super starch' came about. (It's basic corn starch modified to last through the night for kids with a condition that prevented their bodies from holding glucose, so they could sleep without having to wake up every 2 hours to eat something.) It doesn't spike your insulin, so it's like a slow release carbohydrate, for lack of a better term. It seems to have gained a following in the ultra community, and for many marathoners. I wonder if it's a high enough octane fuel for a half marathon effort or shorter.

Take some time to listen to this:

https://runnersconnect.net/ucan-marathon-nutrition-review/

It was a good listen and I found many of the same things when reviewing the data set. But I do know one of my co-workers has found it to be a successful option for them. I do trust McMillan and he supports the product, so I'm torn between the two. I've never personally used it.

Selfish Roxymama reaction: YOU HAVE TO RUN CHICAGO!!! I NEED MY COACH IN CHICAGO!!

But stepping back from my initial temper tantrum: I do want what is best for you, so I won't demand you run a race that will be physically painful. But if you still can run it at a slower than intended pace... for the sake of science you will know what its like to run a world major marathon and what the course is like so that you can SLAY IT again in years to come. And it'll be fun. I think? I hope.

Anywho...feel better man!!!

Edited to add that slaying it this year is also an acceptable outcome

Last edited:

Selfish Roxymama reaction: YOU HAVE TO RUN CHICAGO!!! I NEED MY COACH IN CHICAGO!!

But stepping back from my initial temper tantrum: I do want what is best for you, so I won't demand you run a race that will be physically painful. But if you still can run it at a slower than intended pace... for the sake of science you will know what its like to run a world major marathon and what the course is like so that you can SLAY IT again in years to come. And it'll be fun. I think? I hope.

Anywho...feel better man!!!

Edited to add that slaying it this year is also an acceptable outcome

Unless I have a setback, I'll be there. All the bells and whistles... (hmm might need to open some boxes...). Gaining confidence I'll be able to run 26.2 miles pain or not. Just trying to stay patient. We will see how the next few weeks play out.

Take some time to listen to this:

https://runnersconnect.net/ucan-marathon-nutrition-review/

It was a good listen and I found many of the same things when reviewing the data set. But I do know one of my co-workers has found it to be a successful option for them. I do trust McMillan and he supports the product, so I'm torn between the two. I've never personally used it.

It's an interesting talk, but perhaps not for the reasons they intended. (I'll try to be brief here, because I could go on for a while.) The guest seemed overly concerned with the imperial research claims, but didn't take into consideration how the product came about. SOMETHING is going on with this cooked corn starch that allowed kids to sleep through the night whereas regular corn starch was only lasting half as long. There's no study for that, so it's not discussed, but it's a significant discovery.

I checked her blog, and I find her... um... old fashioned? I'll put it like this: Many nutritionists are fully committed to the USDA dietary guidelines, because it's backed up with 'science'. Eventually, however, the growing number of anecdotes will start to add up and won't be able to be ignored. (It's difficult for the powerful to admit they were wrong.) She hates the diets I have watched others have the most success with, and which the doctors I know are going to. And to this day I have yet to read of someone radically turning their health around with MyPlate.

So re: UCAN: I would say it's worth a try. It may be a godsend for people who have difficulty with the sugary gels. I also suspect it's beneficial for people who are already fat adapted.

I have a bad feeling your Badgers are going to curbstomp my Cougars this weekend.

Never know. But it is in Camp Randall, so I'd say the Badgers will have a good chance. But that's why they play the game. You never know.

It's an interesting talk, but perhaps not for the reasons they intended. (I'll try to be brief here, because I could go on for a while.) The guest seemed overly concerned with the imperial research claims, but didn't take into consideration how the product came about. SOMETHING is going on with this cooked corn starch that allowed kids to sleep through the night whereas regular corn starch was only lasting half as long. There's no study for that, so it's not discussed, but it's a significant discovery.

Is it possible the starch may react differently in the general running population and the children? A different phamacokinetic path. But that would seem to jive with the idea that this product indeed could work better for some and not others. I've seen it plenty of times in pharmacokinetic studies where certain subsets of the population certainly react differently to the same dosage of drug (even when accounted for on a per kg basis). So it's plausible the population for the study didn't elicit dramatic results, but the children would.

I checked her blog, and I find her... um... old fashioned? I'll put it like this: Many nutritionists are fully committed to the USDA dietary guidelines, because it's backed up with 'science'. Eventually, however, the growing number of anecdotes will start to add up and won't be able to be ignored. (It's difficult for the powerful to admit they were wrong.) She hates the diets I have watched others have the most success with, and which the doctors I know are going to. And to this day I have yet to read of someone radically turning their health around with MyPlate.

That's fair. Admittedly I did not do any additional investigation beyond this podcast coming up in the series I listen to (Runners Connect). Definitely casts a shadow to a possible "unbiased" opinion though. I've always been of the mindset that diet is a very individualistic thing.

So re: UCAN: I would say it's worth a try. It may be a godsend for people who have difficulty with the sugary gels. I also suspect it's beneficial for people who are already fat adapted.

Seems plausible. Like I said, I do know my coworker has found it quite beneficial.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter